Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Some Plasti-Dip Action-

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
Why do people insist on painting interior parts with plasti dip? I guarantee you that it will not hold up on parts you regularly touch or brush against.
I guarantee you're mistaken.
I never insisted on plasti-dipping my *****, I just did it because I had leftover paint, and figured why the heck not? Plus, it's temporary and reversible with no damage to the stock parts.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
You do know Plasti dip was made to coat handles for tools don't you?
Exactly.
Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
I think you should try the top of the spoiler too, think it might really set it off!
I thought about it... I may do it... just afraid it might be too much.
For that you are supposed to use the dip that comes in a can and is not an aerosol. You literally dip it in there. Totally different application.
You do realize it's all the same stuff right? Meant for similar purposes. Read the can, and tell me where it says it's NOT meant for things you'll be touching.
Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
x2, once the weather breaks, i will be doing this!

how do you get good coverage on the top of the sail panel?
Make sure you take pics!
It's a pain to get good coverage, I need to touch mine up as I found out after it dried, I was a little light on a few passes in certain areas. Not noticeable unless you're looking for it though.

One thing I HATE about the black top... it shows dirt/dust like CRAZY! BAAHHH!!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
x2, once the weather breaks, i will be doing this!

how do you get good coverage on the top of the sail panel?
They say do light coats, but ive had good luck with a light coat, then laying it on as thick as possible without making it run. Either move fast, or do small sections and let it dry before moving on or you will have overspray lines. Once it dries you can rub it lightly and get the overspray off somewhat. After a few washes mine is perfectly smooth.

My hood isn't perfect, but hey, it's a large flat area. I've gotten pretty good at the sail panels.

Oh, be sure not to leave the plasti dip where the ttop sits. I did it the first time and after sitting in the sun my top pulled it up. I'd do it with the tops in and just take a razor blade to the edge to be sure. Don't worry about overspray on glass, it doesn't stick. Over spray on paint is a pain to get off though
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
I guarantee you're mistaken.
I never insisted on plasti-dipping my *****, I just did it because I had leftover paint, and figured why the heck not? Plus, it's temporary and reversible with no damage to the stock parts.

Exactly.

I thought about it... I may do it... just afraid it might be too much.

You do realize it's all the same stuff right? Meant for similar purposes. Read the can, and tell me where it says it's NOT meant for things you'll be touching.

Make sure you take pics!
It's a pain to get good coverage, I need to touch mine up as I found out after it dried, I was a little light on a few passes in certain areas. Not noticeable unless you're looking for it though.

One thing I HATE about the black top... it shows dirt/dust like CRAZY! BAAHHH!!
Not trying to be a dick but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I found a can of plasti dip around here a long time before most people even knew about it and I've been using the stuff since then and I am pretty sure I'm more experienced with it. I used it on the trim on my window as it was beat up....within a month it was coming up. I used about 7 coats and it looked great when I finished. It ISN'T going to hold up. Sorry to tell you that.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

for what its worth, i hav never seen ANYTHING i liked that was 'plasti-dipped', but i actualy like that. unique idea
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Not trying to be a dick but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I found a can of plasti dip around here a long time before most people even knew about it and I've been using the stuff since then and I am pretty sure I'm more experienced with it. I used it on the trim on my window as it was beat up....within a month it was coming up. I used about 7 coats and it looked great when I finished. It ISN'T going to hold up. Sorry to tell you that.
Maybe that was your problem, it was too thick. 3-4 coats should be more than enough.

I have 3 coats on the chrome grille of my Cummins and it has been holding up for over a year. Sure it has some rock chips but no peeling. I'm going to spray the bumper once it warms up and I'll redo the grille if I feel like it.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Maybe that was your problem, it was too thick. 3-4 coats should be more than enough.

I have 3 coats on the chrome grille of my Cummins and it has been holding up for over a year. Sure it has some rock chips but no peeling. I'm going to spray the bumper once it warms up and I'll redo the grille if I feel like it.
Look up proper usage. Recommended amount is 6-8 light coats.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Look up proper usage. Recommended amount is 6-8 light coats.
Keep trolling man. I don't understand why people have to get such hard dicks over nothing because they are piloting a key board.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Keep trolling man. I don't understand why people have to get such hard dicks over nothing because they are piloting a key board.
Trolling? I'm right. Take the time to look it up and you'll see. 3 coats is not the correct amount. We were also discussing interior plastics which are rubbed up against and touched often....not the same as your grille. I agree that it works wonder for outside trim and wheels. Mine lasted for 2 years on my wheels. It's great stuff....It just isn't good for interior panels and whatnot. I speak from experience....Do you?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you.

Has anyone tried Mother's Back to Black on plasti-dip? I got a little on it, and it made it more of a glossy finish. I've read some truck guys use it, but I'm curious if it eventually just ruins the plasti-dip.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Thank you.

Has anyone tried Mother's Back to Black on plasti-dip? I got a little on it, and it made it more of a glossy finish. I've read some truck guys use it, but I'm curious if it eventually just ruins the plasti-dip.
Never tried back to black, but i've used the plastic and vinyl on it. If you keep using it it should be fine, mine started fading if i didn't continue use, but it was over a year old on the roof, so it may or may not have just been natural fade
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Voting for mat.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I plasi dipped my rims white. And it came out with alot of texture did anyone else have this problem..??
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Looks good, I like how Firebirds/TAs look with the sail panel and mirrors black. Did you use plasti dip glossifier as well, if not I highly recomend it.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do people insist on painting interior parts with plasti dip? I guarantee you that it will not hold up on parts you regularly touch or brush against.
Just as a kind of follow-up...
I plasti-dipped my ***** on 2/18 and they showed no signs of peeling/wear/etc. Until last week 7/1 when I was working on my head unit wiring and the headunit was hanging down. Well, dummy me let it slip at one point and it scraped the HVAC *****, tearing the plasti-dip.
Left them as is until today, pulled them, easily peeled all the black off, and layed on a few coats of Krylon Fusion Gloss Black.
I really wish I hadn't jacked up the Plasti-Dip. I truly wanted to see how long they'd last. Whatever, 4.5 months with zero signs of wear kind of debunks any thought that with normal use on a daily driven car, PD will hold up.

Side note- the rear window defroster button still has the PD on it. I didn't feel like pulling the HVAC panel apart just to shoot it with a coat of paint. Maybe if I can find a small enough decal, I'll paint the whole thing black and then put the decal in the center like stock. Or just get one off a Camaro.

Last edited by Super-Bat; 07-07-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Some Plasti-Dip Action-