Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hazy spot on headlight after Whistler

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazy spot on headlight after Whistler

Did the whistler mod a few months back and ended up having issues with the lenses developing a hazy spot.. Has anybody else had this luck and if so what have you done to remove it?
This has been driving me crazy, the oven also slightly hazed both lenses all over and added almost a filmlike apppearance. Not sure what to think about this.
Any help is good help.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Buy some cheap halos on ebay and use the lenses. Honestly nothing will be as perfect as new lenses.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How hot and long did you bake them?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
How hot and long did you bake them?
This, sounds like a ill overdone.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigMac76
This, sounds like a ill overdone.
Not necessarily, the same thing happend to me and my headlights after trying this "Whistler" mod... all it did was just bake the crap out of my headlights. Take into consideration that every oven is different and they all bake at higher-or-lower temps (also depending on the alititude). I did what the DIY mod required and I believe it was 200* for 20mins... yea... no luck there.... it put a haze, almost like tiny bubbles of oxidation into my lenses... Well let's just say I'll never try that again... I suggest if anyone is willing or wanting to risk and try this mod, just go ahead and save yourself the trouble and extra $200 and just buy them from www.6litereaterdesigns.com They have them on their website for sale right now for only $225

Pretty good deal if you ask me... plus it keeps your wife/girlfriend from looking at you like your crazy... you ever bake headlights in an oven and you'll know what I'm talking about!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20 minutes is wayyyy to long. 10 minutes is the max I would do but usually its about 5-6 minutes.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

did it at the suggested 20@200 oh well. ill just buy the pre whistlered ones when i get some money i have nothing else to do with.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

How long did you let the paint dry? What you describe sound like chemical staining. Some paints seem to be more generous than others with gasing and dry time. I have had bad reactions with paint and plastic that I have not had with others. As paint dries it lets out a gas you can't see, it etches to the polycarbonate lens and it will haze it from the inside with certain paints if the paint hasnt been cured long enough. Silicone can also chemically etch via gassing as it cures. I always recommend letting the headlight bezels dry overnight before reassembling and using a urethane based sealant over a silicone sealant.

IF the damage or hazing is on the outside of the lens I would say it is heat related. Polycarbonate is what the lens is made of and it does not start to break down until 297 degrees. It a very strong heat resistant plastic. However, OEM lenses have a UV coating applied that breaks down quicker than plastic when exposed to heat.

Ive not had problems at 200 degress. I typically go 15 min, and then use a heat gun afterwards.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Hazy spot on headlight after Whistler