Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)

I've got an 06 CTS-V. I'm interested in what you guys are using to keep your black cars looking clean. I've used an Armorall wash that my friend loaned me for a bit, and it looked good, but wanted to know what you guys are snatching up, and from where?

I'm not looking to do a 3-4 hour detail... I'm looking for a 10-20 minute wash that looks good.

Show off your pics and what you're using... and the average time its taking you.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i just do a usual wash. key is to use all mirco fibre cloths for everything to keep the scratches down. i use meguiars quik wax. mist on area and wipe using quick circles and a microfibre cloth.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Things you need to wash a car properly, not just a black one are:

Two bucket method
Two grit guards
High quality wash mitt, merno wool
Good car shampoo
Good drying towel
Good detail spray
Foam gun
Most important of all knowing how to wash your car properly
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Most important of all knowing how to wash your car properly
Would you be able to elaborate on that?

The car is my dry weather DD and it gets dirty quick so I don't have the time to be as meticulous and intricate as most guys. My usual (almost weekly) wash includes:

1 bucket
1 microfiber sponge
1 microfiber bug sponge
1 wheel brush
1 8-way hose nozzle
1 Absorber
1 Microfiber Towel

I was using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax but now that's gone so I'm going to try Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. If bugs are really bad I'll use Tarminator.

Drying is the hard part for me. It's a race against water spots. I'll use the Absorber on the flat parts of the car first (roof, hatch, bumper, hood) to soak up most of the water then follow it immediately with the microfiber. Then I'll use the microfiber by itself on the sides and nose piece where the water runs off by itself.

The whole process from setting up to putting things away is about 30 minutes.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys.

@Adsoyo - Same here. My V is my DD ALL YEAR in NYC, so this car sees snow, rain, everything. It seems to be dirty instantly after being cleaned... maybe about... 5minutes? LMAO

But those pics def show off the wash. Thanks. I'm going to look into what you're doing and approach it like that.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Search "junkman 2 bucket wash on youtube. He also has all kinds of excellent detailing vids. Guys a genius at cleaning a car
Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

What do I do to keep my black car looking good?

Wash and wax it using the techniques above and then seal it in a moisture and dust free chamber never to be touched again.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Meguiars Ultimate Polish for a deeper color followed by Ultimate Liquid Wax.

I clean the car with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere (this stuff smells so good lol). I use two microfiber towels, one for the initial wipe and one for the final wipe to eliminate smears.

Anyways, here's the car. It's got a light layer of dust on it though in the FIRST picture. I cleaned it the night before the car show and didn't put the car cover on.

Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-4hhygc8.jpg
Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-gim9jan.jpg
Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-bd5cgyr.jpg
Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-lfg09sc.jpg
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

What I meant by washing your car properly is the two bucket method. There's a certain way to wash your car that greatly reduces the chance of marring your paint.

Wheels/rims/wheel wells first
Rinse the car off knocking off the heavy stuff
Foam the car
Wash the top half of the car
Then bottom half

Sheet rinse the car to pull a majority of the water off. Use a good detail spray and a really good MF drying to towel to finish. Some use compressed air or a leaf blower.

As mentioned search for junkman's videos or Adams polishes videos, he also has good videos on how to wash your car. The only way for your paint to get scratched/marred is by something touching it. When you wash it you want to do it in a way that greatly reduces the chances of damaging it.

That's one of reasons I like using a foam gun it adds an extra layer of protection when washing. If your car is really dirty you can panel wash with the foam gun which is really nice.

Typically good, quick and wash don't go in the same sentence. However once you get the two bucket method down you can wash your car probably in 30 minutes or a little less.

Google "Gary Dean wash method" I've personally never used it but have read a lot about it on Autopia. Using that method he can wash a car in about five minutes but I probably wouldn't use it if your car is really dirty.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another thing to conisder is using meguairs black wax. It has extra oils in it that hide some of the marring in paint. I will probably get flamed for this but I don't see anything wrong with using it on your car. If someone isn't going to have their car corrected and wants to make it look a little better I think its a good idea to use something like black wax. Not everyone wants to spend hundereds if not several thousand dollars to get their car corrected.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

I use meguiars purple car wash. honestly never used the 2 bucket method, but the car doesn't get dirty, just dusty from sitting a month between drives.

I use only microfiber towels. If i miss a spot and get water spots ill use Quick Venom spray. any quick detailer will work really.

For waxing I use a combo of jax wax swirl remover every couple times, then their liquid carnuba wax. Car still has no swirls after 5 years of washes every week or two.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wash my SS using the 2 bucket method.
For polishing I use my DA polisher with Meguires M205 finishing polish with a white lake country pad. Sometimes I will follow it up with a foam pad glaze. Then I finish with either Collonite insulator wax or a old school product called Liquid Glass. I actually like how the liquid glass works on my car. Anyway here are some pics.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use meguiars ultimate car wash and if you want to give it the extra shine afterwards grab some of the meguiars quick detailer spray. Takes me generally about 30-40 mins on my car and if you use the detailer spray add another 15-20 done right
As for pics:

Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Default the darkness

man I love her when she's clean.
Attached Thumbnails Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-0420131453.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

After I did a wash with Dawn dish soap to get all the old stuff off then i clay barred. And started the detail porter cable 7424 with Meguiars 105 Ultra Cut Compond that took about 6 hrs if you want to do it right. Then Meguiars 205same 6hrs. Then went with Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax. In the last year and a half since i did that I have only had to do a bucket wash one time! Why because i use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate after every time it get's driven on weekends. It's amazing stuff ! I have not put any swirls into the paint since using it and it is a BLACK!! 98 Z28. I think that say's what I think of Ultima WW+C. I do not have anything to do with the Ultima company or sell it in case anyone was thinking so. You will not be disappointed with any of these products. If you are going to do bucket washes I have heard that the Meguiars Gold Class Wash does NOT strip off your wax.Good luck on your choice.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Launching!

I use the car wash brush before I rinse it off to get all the dirt off. Rinse off and dry with an old towel.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting stuff here. I just bought a new black car and was looking for ideas to keep swirl marks down. Looks like microfiber towels and good wash formula seem to be the norm. I need to try this two bucket method, always just used one in the past.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Meguiars stuff

Attached Thumbnails Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)-ws6.jpg  

Quick Reply: Black Cars Chime in (nows the time to show off. LOL)