Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Build.. Any guru's out there with some tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Build.. Any guru's out there with some tips

Hey Guys,

Bout to start a Project tomorrow and im looking for Ideas/Suggestions etc.. for my Interior.

I have a 67 camaro ive been working on for a few years, ls6t56 swapped. painted it myself hell even redid a custom exhaust just so i can say ive done 100 percent of the work myself. last year i decided to begin on the interior and want to do the 4rth gen dash swap. so i found a cheap dash ( wasnt in the best of shape) and replaced the original dash with it. the only problem with that is there was now a gap between the back of the dash and firewall. so for a year i used some roughly shaped fiberglass and carpet to just cover it up. well its been eating me up to finally finish it so i decided to start it. upon inspection of the dash the vinyl was in pretty rough shape and was cracked so i pulled a piece off and found the foam was in horrible shape so i ended up pulling all the foam and vinyl off of the dash and now begins this build.

PLAN:

My thought here is to Use Fiberglass to bridge the gap between the dash and the windshield, then work it into the dash and cover it with vinyl.

HOW:

Still up in the air on the method i will use but here is my thought process.
  1. Start by cleaning dash and using foil or tape to mask off the firewall and gap to make a cavity
  2. Then use Expanding spray foam to fill said cavity acoss entire dash
  3. Carve and shape foam once dry to get basic design of dash
  4. apply 1 or 2 layers of Fibergalss from firewall over foam and onto dash
  5. apply thin layer of duraglass or just bodyfiller and sand smooth
  6. clean dash and give plastic lower dash scuff sanding and apply adhesion promotor folowed by either just vinyl or foam and vinyl

Questions:

1. Should I use some foam on the dash under the viynl?
2. what kind of glue i have super 77 but i have serious doubts about it.
3. any tips suggestions will be super appreciated.

ALSO I KNOW THIS POST IS POINTLESS WITHOUT PICS BUT TOMORROW THERE WILL BE LOTS OF PICS OF THIS PROCESS.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres some older pics

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

how do you roll your windows up and down? looks like you gotta open the door to do it. I would start by finding a dash better suited for the car, there was a picture in a thread on here not long ago of a CTS-V interior in an older car, see post #5 https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...02-f-body.html
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im going with electric windows. but yes at the moment you do have to open the door, no biggie.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow thats nice. but looks like he would have the same problems just hid them very well. too late to look back now ive already went to town with the expanding foam, letting it set up now then the carving begins. when its done you wont be able to tell its a trans am dash. it will just look like a custom dash someone did.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alrighty guys. i started at about 4 am today, by scuff sanding the dash and firewall. then i applied some expanding foam. let it set for several hours to cure. then roughhly carved the shape. filled in some holes with more foam and sanded a close representation of the dash. then comes the fiberglass, i took a layer or chopped mat and a layer of twill, glued the chopped to the backside of the twill since the twill is easier to work with and glued them to the workpiece. applied resin and let cure. then its on to body filler. i mixed 1 part fiberglass resin and 5 parts body filler to get a thinned body filler that makes it easy to get a nice consistant first layer that u can paint on. then its sand sand sand layer more filler and sand sand sand. worked for about 10 solid hours to get to where i am now but im ahead of schedule to im happy heres some pics of the build.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good so far!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hahaa good job

Lol at that pic
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bahahaha thats a great pic. working 15 hours a day for the most part on this car because in 1 week i want to have this car at the Ls Fest. I probably shouldnt have taken this on in such short time but what the hell. Then it decides to be the hottest week all summer this week.

But anyway, today was a long hott day of sanding and sanding an sanding and beer and sanding. got some progress. took a break and started working on making the custom A-Pillers. then after getting it sanded down, I began working some vinyl. Im definitely no upholstery expert for sure but its working out decent. im having problems with the area just to the right of the ac vent area which i knew i would. im going to try it a couple of times and if it doesnt work out ill figure something out for the lsfest then wrap the entire dash in 3m vinyl film or something. anyways heres some pics.

working on the pillers.

Here it is wrapped

may put this here

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well no Progress today Due to having to work tonight. I looked before i left and yep just like i figured the area to the right of the ac vents( second to last pic on last post ) is starting to lift blah. i also have some problem areas i will go back and fix if theres time before the Fest but if not it will wait . The area that used to house the ac vent on the passenger side i filled with foam and shaped but after covering it compressed the foam and looks like *****. and the far right side needs a little tlc but othere that those three problems the upper part of the dash looks to be pretty good.

Next:

next ill start to work on the center ac vents area. will probably cut cardboard in the shape of the dash and create a mold for the spray foam. i also will take 2" Pvc Pipe and create raised gauge holders that come at a slight angle toward the driver. foam it glass it bondo it and either paint it, or i may try the new 3m carbon fiber scotchprint i just got in the mail the other day. I bought the wrap to go on the strip of metal that is usually painted that circles the car that u can partially see here does anyone think this would look good there? this goes down the door and around the entire car. would b impossible to paint without removing the back glass so i think the 3m carbon fiber vinyl would look decent i guess we will c.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, Thats bad ***
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

heres some pics, i threw some vinyl on it for the lsfest it turned out pretty darn good. but it was only temporary im definitly no upholstery master lol. but i will remove the vinyl finish some parts of the dash and then probably have it professionally upholstered

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and heres the doors with the carbon fiber

Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Launching!

carbon fiber looks killer on the door
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Wow really looks sharp
Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys it still got a ways to go, but its getting there for sure, definitly looks better than the bs i had up at the top lol. for the Ls-Fest i literally duck taped the windshield in (it was white so u almost couldnt tell) now i can remove the windshield and vinyl and finish block sanding it and either paint it matte black or get it upholstered depending on price.

i believe im also going to fiberglass the gauge cluster i made into the dash permanently as well as the radio bezel for a nice smooth look. as long as i can still access both from the bottom of course. ive found some air vents on summit that look really good i may retro fit into the dash so if i ever do get air or heat i can use it lol. or i may just come out under the dash. another thing i may address is defrosting vents. right now i dont have any id like one tho for sure. Ill keep the updates coming however it will be a little slower now so i can take my time and do it right.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry im not a fan of the CF vinyl. Real CF would pop more.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea ive done both before, ive even done airbrushed carbon fiber. but for the time and money its the way to go. looks pretty good goes on easy so all and all im a happy camper with it

Quick Reply: Interior Build.. Any guru's out there with some tips