Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone used the eraser wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used the eraser wheel?

Ok so I have some ugly *** 35th anniversary style gold stripes on my SOM Camaro that the first owner of the car put on. The 2nd owner started taking them off with a heat gun but all he did was the front bumper and part of the hood.

I didn't want to use a heat gun so I did some online searching and found out about the eraser wheel. After reading nothing but how awesome it was and how easy it is to use and seeing some videos also, I went to advance auto and picked one up. I put it on my drill and put it up against the stripes and it did literally nothing... just a little of the eraser wore away... Tried it on some of the left over adhesiveness from where the previous owner started removing the stripes and nothing...

Am I doing something wrong? I was being light on it as everyone says to not put to much pressure. I didn't want to risk damaging the paint but was I maybe being too soft on it? I'm just confused. As far as I know body shops use this as well. I don't really understand how it just does literally nothing when put against the stripes for me when everyone so highly recommends it. I'm kinda pissed and feel like I wasted my money on crap... Anyone who's used it please chime in and help me out. I want these damn stripes off already.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Ok so I have some ugly *** 35th anniversary style gold stripes on my SOM Camaro that the first owner of the car put on. The 2nd owner started taking them off with a heat gun but all he did was the front bumper and part of the hood.

I didn't want to use a heat gun so I did some online searching and found out about the eraser wheel. After reading nothing but how awesome it was and how easy it is to use and seeing some videos also, I went to advance auto and picked one up. I put it on my drill and put it up against the stripes and it did literally nothing... just a little of the eraser wore away... Tried it on some of the left over adhesiveness from where the previous owner started removing the stripes and nothing...

Am I doing something wrong? I was being light on it as everyone says to not put to much pressure. I didn't want to risk damaging the paint but was I maybe being too soft on it? I'm just confused. As far as I know body shops use this as well. I don't really understand how it just does literally nothing when put against the stripes for me when everyone so highly recommends it. I'm kinda pissed and feel like I wasted my money on crap... Anyone who's used it please chime in and help me out. I want these damn stripes off already.
Are your stripes painted or vinyl? If vinyl lay in to the wheel and it will take them off. Remeber they have been on there awhile baking in the sun. Loosen them up by wiping them wth some rubbing alcohol and then using the wheel on the drill.Do not be afraid to lay into it some. I have done this time and time again.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6man29

Are your stripes painted or vinyl? If vinyl lay in to the wheel and it will take them off. Remeber they have been on there awhile baking in the sun. Loosen them up by wiping them wth some rubbing alcohol and then using the wheel on the drill.Do not be afraid to lay into it some. I have done this time and time again.
Ok and what about the left over adhesiveness? Didn't do anything on that either. Should I put a little more pressure into that too? Or maybe just use some goo-gone for that?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok and what about the left over adhesiveness? Didn't do anything on that either. Should I put a little more pressure into that too? Or maybe just use some goo-gone for that?
Left over adhesive use prep sol or rubbing alcohol. Preferably prep sol at your local paint or parts store. Keep rubbing the left over adhesive will come off. The wheel will only take the stripe off and will only smear the left over adhesive so you need to clean that off.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

The car is at the shop and I don't have time to go back till tomorrow, but I tried getting a sticker off the back of my girlfriends car and nothing... It just rubs up on there and wears the wheel away but does nothing to the sticker. I was having more success with the rubbing alcohol and just picking at it with my fingers... Could it be the drill I'm using? I just don't understand what I could be doing wrong.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

+ 1 on the rubbing alcohol. ive never used the wheel but ive used plastic razor blades and heat before, wish i would have known about that. but after you get all the adhesive off of the car with the alcohol wax it
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sick_tight
+ 1 on the rubbing alcohol. ive never used the wheel but ive used plastic razor blades and heat before, wish i would have known about that. but after you get all the adhesive off of the car with the alcohol wax it
I'm probably just gona have to do the hair dryer/plastic razor when the car gets out of the shop cause this wheel is doing nothing for me. Couldn't even get a small sticker off my gf's car I don't how it could do anything for vinyl stripes... I don't understand how it just rubs right off with seemingly no effort in the videos I've seen.

Do I maybe have the wrong wheel? I have the 3M Adhesive Eraser wheel.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 09-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I used an eraser all the time when I worked at a body shop back in the day. First off, there is no way I would attempt to use that on large stripes. You will be there forever. An eraser is really more for small and/or stubborn stuff that is stuck on. Second, make sure you never use it on a plastic bumper cover. It will eat right into the plastic. Ask me how I know. Lastly those thing are really meant to go an air tool designed for that sort of thing. I dont think you are ever going to get the RPM on a cordless drill (is that what you are using) that you need in order for that thing to be effective. Maybe on a good, fast corded one though. You need something with RPM and a bit of power. If you dont have access to a dedicated heat gun then I guess go with the blow dryer. Either way heat should def be your first option here. And I wouldn't put a razor anywhere near your car. Just start heating it up and picking at it with your finger nail. Dont bake one spot, just move it slowly back and forth getting hotter between attempts at getting it to peel. Be patient. You might not be able to get 100% of it, but once you get most of it use the eraser to get small stubborn spots. You can then use alcohol to clean up the last of the residue, although a wax & grease remover made for the auto body industry will work much better. Oh, and be prepared to have that thing professionally buffed if you can not do it yourself. Even if the paint isnt a different color, which it likely will be, you will probably need to at the minimum aggressively hand rub anything that eraser touched. There is nothing magical that is going to take those stripes off. Be prepared to spend some time on it. Heat is your friend here, just dont get to crazy.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

I'm probably just gona have to do the hair dryer/plastic razor when the car gets out of the shop cause this wheel is doing nothing for me. Couldn't even get a small sticker off my gf's car I don't how it could do anything for vinyl stripes... I don't understand how it just rubs right off with seemingly no effort in the videos I've seen.

Do I maybe have the wrong wheel? I have the 3M Adhesive Eraser wheel.
ive never used it but in the videos i have no idea what dark magic they use because i "debadged" my buddies brand new ram and i swear to god i spent a couple hours taking all the residue off
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

The car is at the shop and I don't have time to go back till tomorrow, but I tried getting a sticker off the back of my girlfriends car and nothing... It just rubs up on there and wears the wheel away but does nothing to the sticker. I was having more success with the rubbing alcohol and just picking at it with my fingers... Could it be the drill I'm using? I just don't understand what I could be doing wrong.
It could be that the vinyl was clear coated over?? In that case it will not work.. Also if its not a cordless drill isnt the best use an electric drill.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I used an eraser all the time when I worked at a body shop back in the day. First off, there is no way I would attempt to use that on large stripes. You will be there forever. An eraser is really more for small and/or stubborn stuff that is stuck on. Second, make sure you never use it on a plastic bumper cover. It will eat right into the plastic. Ask me how I know. Lastly those thing are really meant to go an air tool designed for that sort of thing. I dont think you are ever going to get the RPM on a cordless drill (is that what you are using) that you need in order for that thing to be effective. Maybe on a good, fast corded one though. You need something with RPM and a bit of power. If you dont have access to a dedicated heat gun then I guess go with the blow dryer. Either way heat should def be your first option here. And I wouldn't put a razor anywhere near your car. Just start heating it up and picking at it with your finger nail. Dont bake one spot, just move it slowly back and forth getting hotter between attempts at getting it to peel. Be patient. You might not be able to get 100% of it, but once you get most of it use the eraser to get small stubborn spots. You can then use alcohol to clean up the last of the residue, although a wax & grease remover made for the auto body industry will work much better. Oh, and be prepared to have that thing professionally buffed if you can not do it yourself. Even if the paint isnt a different color, which it likely will be, you will probably need to at the minimum aggressively hand rub anything that eraser touched. There is nothing magical that is going to take those stripes off. Be prepared to spend some time on it. Heat is your friend here, just dont get to crazy.
Good advice thank you. Yeah I was definitely planning to have it professionally washed/waxed, the whole 9 yards after getting the stripes off. I'm gona try heat and see how that works.
Originally Posted by ws6man29
It could be that the vinyl was clear coated over?? In that case it will not work.. Also if its not a cordless drill isnt the best use an electric drill.
Clear coat is a possibility but I don't think it was. How would I tell? I'll try an electric drill in addition to a heat gun.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Good advice thank you. Yeah I was definitely planning to have it professionally washed/waxed, the whole 9 yards after getting the stripes off. I'm gona try heat and see how that works.

Clear coat is a possibility but I don't think it was. How would I tell? I'll try an electric drill in addition to a heat gun.
It would not even move picking it with your fingernail if it was clear coated. It will take sometime to take it off. Patience is your best friend right now!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eraser wheels works well on pinstripe removal and badge removal. Also I find it works best on air tools as supposed to drills. It takes awhile to master using it because if you mis use it you will severely damage your paint. For the stripes I would use heat and for the leftover residue I would use alcohol wipes. Be patient with it
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Like said, the eraser wheel is amazing when used for the right application. I love it for pin stripes, small graphics, etc...but yes, to use it on full stripes, you'll be there a long time. I would use a heat gun to lift the stripes. Just keep the gun moving and work up a little at a time and you'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. I guess I gota go spend more money now on a heat gun.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

^^ good choice

Quick Reply: Anyone used the eraser wheel?