Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Morimoto mini h1 camaro retrofit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Morimoto mini h1 camaro retrofit!

So my projectors finally got here yesterday and I began right away on my retrofit as I knew it would be an all day event. Here is my write up!

1. Baked the headlights in the oven at 275 for 7 minutes. The glue from the original headlights was really good so it took 3 sessions in the oven for them to come loose

2.Here is the lens from my stock headlights. You can see the fog on it. I decided that I was gonna bake the ebay lights and use those lens sense they are brand new.

3. You need to use a dremel and grind down these three notches on the back of the headlight for there to be enough room to thread the adapter plate, lock nut, and bulb holder on the back of the projector. Also, drill a small hole so you can put the wires from the projector through instead of having them though the hole the projector goes through. You don't want those wires getting pinched.

4. You also need to grind down the three tabs on the inside of the housing around the hole the projector goes through

5. Ground the back

6. Ground the front tabs

7. Starting the first coat of paint on the housings.

8. I used Satin black all purpose spray paint with primer

9. Finished painting the housings

10. Here is the Mini Gatling shroud before paint

11. Here is the cutoff shield before painting it red

12. Took the projector apart. It is held together by 4 phillip head screws

13. Masked off the top of the cutoff, the spring, and the two sides of the solenoid for the high beams.

14. Painting the shields with high heat brake caliber red paint.

15. Finished product.

16. Put back on the projector. Looks red at certain angles!

17. Purchased this butyl rubber glue from TheRetrofitSouce to seal back up my headlights. I put the lens from the new ebay projectors on and heated in the over at 270 for 7 minutes.

18. I didn't have any spring clamps but I do have these two types of clamps. I used them both on one headlight at a time. Clamped down on both sides of the headlight and left each one outside for 45 minutes in the cold until the glue dried.

19. Here's the cutoff! Trying to get them lined up with the marks I made from my previous aimed projectors.

20. There we go...

21. Purchased these for TRS also. They're called high beam splitters. Sense I already did the mod where my high beam and low beam stay on together, all I needed were these to make the high beam from the projector and the high beam from the stock housing to come on together. One end plugs into your stock high beam, the other plugs into the wires coming out of the projector for the solenoid. And the female end of the splitter plugs into the high beam harness in your car.

22. Here's what they look like at night. Super bright and the width of the beam is just amazing! They light up the road and the sides all the way from the left to right! I wish I got these a long time ago!

23. Excuse the dirty car, it rains here too often. But here is what they look like in the day time. I love the all blacked out look!

24. It's hard to hold the camera in the right angle to see but here is the light reflecting off showing the red demon eyes!

25. I found out if you take a pic at night with the flash then no matter what angle you are standing from, it shows the demon eyes

And that is all the pics I have at the moment. More to come upon request. It is no trouble for me. Please let me know what you guys think! (:

Last edited by Chris Baker; 02-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has already had the whistler mod but my lenses aren't crystal clear like new ones... I may take and do this to mine... How much was the projector mod and HID bulbs? I really want to do this mod although i don't think i'll do the demon eyes thing. At the very least i'd paint them black inside...
Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cole Train
My car has already had the whistler mod but my lenses aren't crystal clear like new ones... I may take and do this to mine... How much was the projector mod and HID bulbs? I really want to do this mod although i don't think i'll do the demon eyes thing. At the very least i'd paint them black inside...
I ordered the projectors that come with gatling gun shrouds for $120.
The bulbs were H1: Morimoto 3five and they were $40.
The butyl rubber glue was $15
And the High beam splitters were $10.

After tax my grand total was $222.50

I also got the black paint and red paint which was around $10-$15 I believe.
And idk if you already have good ballasts like I did, but if not then TRS sells them but they start at $110 for the Morimoto 3five ballasts. Overall I am very happy with my results, granted it was an all day affair. If you don't want to take on the task of a retrofit you can buy a set of BLS headlights with the same projectors but it will cost more. But sense your headlights are already whistlered then you are already half way there, you just need some projectors.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Turned out great! I plan on doing this to my car, minus the demon eyes, or i might do black. Just gotta wait for the financials to be there. lol nice job!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good. 100% like man haha good job. i just LOVE the output. i cant imagine how i used to drive with my old halogens.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brendan11
Turned out great! I plan on doing this to my car, minus the demon eyes, or i might do black. Just gotta wait for the financials to be there. lol nice job!
Thank you very much! I am happy with the way it turned out also. Your compliment is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice writeup! Never thought about painting the inside red like that.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
looks good. 100% like man haha good job. i just LOVE the output. i cant imagine how i used to drive with my old halogens.
Ya know kidding! These blow my ebay H3 bulb projectors out of the water. They exceeded my expectations on how wide the beam pattern would be. Not the mention the brightness of them! I took a pic and a video of me driving down a dark road but my crappy iphone made the video so dark you couldn't even tell the headlights were on basically. But I assure everyone who wants to do a retrofit like this or buy a pair of BLS headlights, it is one of the best upgrades you can do to your car. I am extremely satisfied! Keep me up to date with your guys' retrofits!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Nice writeup! Never thought about painting the inside red like that.
Thanks man! Ya I saw pictures of people painting their shields and I thought it would be a cool little mod to do sense I was already going to do a retrofit. I think it look good with the all black, kind of gives it an ''evil'' look, if you will.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
Thanks man! Ya I saw pictures of people painting their shields and I thought it would be a cool little mod to do sense I was already going to do a retrofit. I think it look good with the all black, kind of gives it an ''evil'' look, if you will.
My friend does retrofits for a living basically. I'll have to show him this because I feel a lot of people would think that was cool. It would be a nice custom touch if someone wanted to do another color.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
My friend does retrofits for a living basically. I'll have to show him this because I feel a lot of people would think that was cool. It would be a nice custom touch if someone wanted to do another color.
That is awesome! I am flattered you would be willing to use my retrofit as a reference
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

i will be doing this as soon as i have the extra $
Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
And idk if you already have good ballasts like I did, but if not then TRS sells them but they start at $110 for the Morimoto 3five ballasts. Overall I am very happy with my results, granted it was an all day affair. If you don't want to take on the task of a retrofit you can buy a set of BLS headlights with the same projectors but it will cost more. But sense your headlights are already whistlered then you are already half way there, you just need some projectors.
They are so worth it though over the cheapo ballasts that most places give you. If you get the bulbs and ballasts as a kit you save some ($120 for ballasts + bulbs together).
Old 02-26-2014, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
They are so worth it though over the cheapo ballasts that most places give you. If you get the bulbs and ballasts as a kit you save some ($120 for ballasts + bulbs together).
Oh yes, I forgot about that. Good thinking! Ya, I didn't buy any ballasts from TRS because I already had two pairs of very good ballasts, not those cheap ebay xentec ones.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

I have a few pairs of Xentec ballasts. They work well for the most part. I had a couple pair in my truck(lows/fogs) for about 3 years before a bulb burnt. They were the mini-ballast not the full size ones. With this mod, do any H1 HID's work with the kit or do you need their bulbs?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Any H1 bulbs fit in the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. But if you want to get the full potential out of them, use the bulbs from TRS and better quality ballasts. I had a set of the ebay xentec ones that never burnt out the whole time I hid HIDs in my stock reflector housings. But it is a night and day difference on how much more bright your lights will be with quality ballasts. Check this video out
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

wow that's the best side by side i've seen. I may as well toss the ones i have lol
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

wow that's the best side by side i've seen. I may as well toss the ones i have lol
Ya haha. I didn't want to believe it was true either but then I saw this video. I would also suggest that you choose the 5000k bulb temp. That's what I got and TRS say that 80% of the people go with 5000k. It is pure white
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

That's what i'd go with anyway
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

That's what i'd go with anyway
BTW, I wish I had your wheels! They 18s?

Quick Reply: Morimoto mini h1 camaro retrofit!