Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this mod today guys, all went well except i broke the vacume line... GRRR... If some one could pm and tell me what this vacume line controls, and what it runs to that would be great thanks alot... chris!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Extremely skeptical about this mod. Yea it looks good but what about water spraying up there? Function > Aesthetics. Id rather have it work than look good.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
Extremely skeptical about this mod. Yea it looks good but what about water spraying up there? Function > Aesthetics. Id rather have it work than look good.
If you look above the wheel you will see that there is a plastic fender where the wires will run over. This is a really easy mod to do, and water will not affect it.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by domestic disturbance
I did this mod today guys, all went well except i broke the vacume line... GRRR... If some one could pm and tell me what this vacume line controls, and what it runs to that would be great thanks alot... chris!
broke mine too... from what I read, it controls the hvac system. Panel/floor/dash vents..... cheap replacement at discount auto

later
Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mine will never see rain if I can help it......
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

This looks great. I have to wait till its warmer out and I clean the garage a bit to get this done tho =(
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by justinj
If you look above the wheel you will see that there is a plastic fender where the wires will run over. This is a really easy mod to do, and water will not affect it.
Thanks i see that now. Must have missed that on my first read through. Does this also mean that if i were to look up into my wheel well i would not see the wires at all? Regardless gonna be trying this soon, along with moving the TCS behind the PCM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I did this and the tcs relocation. Was a p.i.t.a as it fought me the entire time. Now I have a code for the cooling fans. No fuses blown, all connectors seem to be in fine so I hope I didn't mess up something with the pcm on reinstall even though it all runs fine other wise.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
I did this and the tcs relocation. Was a p.i.t.a as it fought me the entire time. Now I have a code for the cooling fans. No fuses blown, all connectors seem to be in fine so I hope I didn't mess up something with the pcm on reinstall even though it all runs fine other wise.
Man that sucks, i hope mine goes a bit smoother. TCS still work?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Man that sucks, i hope mine goes a bit smoother. TCS still work?
Yes it works. My biggest problem was that I was trying to do it different so no wires or hole could be seen but that didn't work. Once I did it normal and got good bits it wasn't bad. I don't want to deter anyone from doing this. I am going to pull the inner fender back off and check the wires in the connectors to make sure I didn't pull something out. Already checked to see if I missed connecting one or .something.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
Yes it works. My biggest problem was that I was trying to do it different so no wires or hole could be seen but that didn't work.
I did mine that way, no hole visible.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...d-with-a-twist

Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold, im gonna start on it this weekend. My main problem was always i couldnt figure out what to do with the fusibles and the battery distribution terminal, you deffinatly got it figured out spartan7... thanks for the idea!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I did mine that way, no hole visible.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...d-with-a-twist

That's exactly what I was going for and if I would have seen that before I starred I would have done it that way.. I tried placing mine under the pcm but the wires were to tight. If I had planned ahead of time would have done extensions like you had there.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just one thing I should add about doing it the way I linked. I found it difficult to fit the inner fender back in with the harness attached where it was. I relocated it to further inside the wheel well, right behind the lip of the big flat part you see in the pics. There was enough slack to run it that way, and the inner fender fit great after that.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

As nice as this is and looks, it's not worth it to me to have all those wires exposed like that to elements from the tire and anyone who wants to mess with it. I rather leave it secure under the hood.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 AM

looks much cleaner after nice write up too
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to try this soon. Looks pretty straight forward
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR
As nice as this is and looks, it's not worth it to me to have all those wires exposed like that to elements from the tire and anyone who wants to mess with it. I rather leave it secure under the hood.
I cannot for the life of me understand how people still think this way after everyone else debunking the belief that anything is exposed to any more of the elements than it already is under the hood. Unless you don't have a fender liner for some reason, then there is nothing to worry about. WTF
Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1again
I cannot for the life of me understand how people still think this way after everyone else debunking the belief that anything is exposed to any more of the elements than it already is under the hood. Unless you don't have a fender liner for some reason, then there is nothing to worry about. WTF
+1

I drove my 99 through rain hail snow sleet whatever for years and I never had I problem.

I would say that if the wires were going to be problematic in my lifetime, they would have already.

Just insulate the wires more if you're that worried. I mean if it's WATERPROOF and AIRTIGHT it isnt going to be a problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Wire-tuck mod

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Just one thing I should add about doing it the way I linked. I found it difficult to fit the inner fender back in with the harness attached where it was. I relocated it to further inside the wheel well, right behind the lip of the big flat part you see in the pics. There was enough slack to run it that way, and the inner fender fit great after that.
I never noticed in your wire tuck pics that it looks like you kept HVAC and re-routed the hoses for the heater and A/C. Are there any more pictures or info on that part of your engine bay cleanup? Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply: Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside