Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

NRG Steering short hub, quick release and wheel Install :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man. I guess it is getting stuck inside the column. Appreciate the reply.

This is the most fun I have had in years
Old 04-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Teching In

After I removed the CAM lock, this is what you have... First step is to take the blinker arm out. It unscrews with a phillips head but you have to let it fall out to remove it. Putting it back is super tricky. You have to turn the blinker like you are turning right, and then move it gently back in place, pulling down on the blinker.

The TORX BOLTS are a T20 size.

The idea is to get rif of the magnetic horn wheel, and re-route the wiring for the radio controls and airbag because they are useless now

I used a bushing from Home Depot and some 1" PVC pipe for a spacer... Might sound dumb but it works good!

It's tough to get the black horn wire free trust me but it has to be moved

Last edited by blackenedss; 04-19-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Once the wire is free, you will notice that if you join it with a ground (the column for example) the horn will blow.

I routed the wire through this hole

I reinstalled the column spring here to keep the bearing in place because it slides loose easily without this spring and then here is why I made a custom spacer

The issue is that spring and washer put pressure on the bearing retainer so the wheel can't wabble around. Alternately, you could just reinstall the steering lock, but I prefer not to have it on my car because I find it to be aggravating and somewhat useless

The last thing I did was add a considerable amount of wire to the positive and ground terminals before putting the wheel on once and for all. It's also important to mark the top dead center of the NRG hub because it comes with no center marks of any kind. I think it's a decent hub, but I believe I could design a better one that makes the install easier on this car. In retrospect, I wish I had extended the length of both terminals.

Had to tape off the connectors so they wouldn't ground though.

It's not optimum by any means, but it works.

Last edited by blackenedss; 04-19-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Teching In

I hope this helps someone out there not have to go through all the questions I had before I started this build.

It took about 15-20 hours of tinkering over the course of about 5 days. This means finding the parts, and working around the problems. NRG gives no instructions on any of this.

It's kind of a trial by error kind of thing. The NRG hub here is FAR FROM IDEAL. The space between the rim and ignition column plastic is visible and somewhat noticable even to the novice eye. Would have been cool to have the rim fit over the column plastic.

The F-Body Camaro has all kind of **** inside there to make a steering wheel a not so easy conversion. It was definitely not a FUN install, but the end result is worth it.

Don't be like everyone else... change your ******* wheel!

Peace Guys.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by blackenedss; 04-19-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Lol it does come in handy for retards. I will say from what I remember it seemed like you have some kind of issue with wiring somewhere. Did it work before we did that? Might need to find some leads and use a voltmeter to track the issue down.
lol.... Yeah, had a few retards I could of used it on, today!

Yeah, it was working prior to us doing the swap. I think it was something with the spring or connector lead not making contact or something on those lines.

Quick Reply: NRG Steering short hub, quick release and wheel Install :)