Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Chrome rim experts-Please step in

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome rim experts-Please step in

I have a set of chrome Z06 rims. One of the rims seems to be getting dull. It just doesn't bling like the others. You can sorta see small hair-line scratches up close. Anyway, someone told me to get 1500 grit sand paper and wet sand the rim. The thought of putting sand paper anywhere near those rims frightens me.

Will this fix my problem, or is there another solution?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cheez22
I have a set of chrome Z06 rims. One of the rims seems to be getting dull. It just doesn't bling like the others. You can sorta see small hair-line scratches up close. Anyway, someone told me to get 1500 grit sand paper and wet sand the rim. The thought of putting sand paper anywhere near those rims frightens me.

Will this fix my problem, or is there another solution?

Thanks.
I would not sand anything till I found out more information. Take it to a chroming shop and ask what they would do first.

I am thinking the rim needs polished with a buffer, like an industrial one to be re shined.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:01 AM
FormerVendor

i say you just do it and if it dont work..o well it already didn't bling so what harm can it do
Old 05-29-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

It'll harm your wallet, thats what it'll do. Screw messing the rim up yourself when a shop could do the work for pocketchange. I dont know what your detail routine is, but try using a degreaser and see if that helps w/ the dullness. Could just be loaded up grime and brake dust on there. If that doesnt help, then seek a pro's help. And i agree w/ Todd. It does sound like they just need to be polished, but i wouldnt touch it w/ sand paper!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Todd and Ling. I think I'll do that.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by T-WrEcKzSiLv-RBiRdY
i say you just do it and if it dont work..o well it already didn't bling so what harm can it do
wow, you must be a ******* idiot. if you aren't going to help someone keep your trap closed. no wonder it says registered looser under your nick.

on with the helpful information
I detailed a jag that had chrome wheels with the dulling look to them, a few minutes with some steel wool and it was as good as new.
be sure and only use cleaners on the wheels when they are cool to the touch. if they are warm it will most likely hurt the finish. especially on alum.

on chrome, try some 00, 000 or 0000 steel wool. (you can pick up an assortment package at autozone, or just buy some of all, its not very expensive.) I've used 00 on wheels that had so much brake dust it looked like the chrome had come off and the wheels rusted. Made them look brand new too.

for what you are saying 000 should work. 0000 may be a little fine for that though. it is so fine some people use it on glass to remove water spots.

also try some chrome polish, but DO NOT buy meguiars gold class metal polish, it sucks horribly.

I will use a little metal/chrome polish and steel wool together, seems to keep the wool crap from going everywhere and in the polished area.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful, if you have any questions post or PM me.

-Brandon
Old 05-30-2004, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brandon
wow, you must be a ******* idiot. if you aren't going to help someone keep your trap closed. no wonder it says registered looser under your nick.

on with the helpful information
I detailed a jag that had chrome wheels with the dulling look to them, a few minutes with some steel wool and it was as good as new.
be sure and only use cleaners on the wheels when they are cool to the touch. if they are warm it will most likely hurt the finish. especially on alum.

on chrome, try some 00, 000 or 0000 steel wool. (you can pick up an assortment package at autozone, or just buy some of all, its not very expensive.) I've used 00 on wheels that had so much brake dust it looked like the chrome had come off and the wheels rusted. Made them look brand new too.

for what you are saying 000 should work. 0000 may be a little fine for that though. it is so fine some people use it on glass to remove water spots.

also try some chrome polish, but DO NOT buy meguiars gold class metal polish, it sucks horribly.

I will use a little metal/chrome polish and steel wool together, seems to keep the wool crap from going everywhere and in the polished area.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful, if you have any questions post or PM me.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon. That's what I needed to know.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad I could help!

Quick Reply: Chrome rim experts-Please step in