Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
I REALLY like the output of these. But I have to be honest. I can't get over the look of them when they are off.
Even tho chrome ones?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be the guinea pig for formula fitment, ordered a set last week and I'll be sure to post up pics when I have them installed.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, trying to find these in chrome, think these will work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E69CZJE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3C2SGYJ3A5L41&coliid=I2APISDZZKDNTD&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E69CZJE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3C2SGYJ3A5L41&coliid=I2APISDZZKDNTD&psc=1
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay1981
Great thread, trying to find these in chrome, think these will work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E69CZJE...DZZKDNTD&psc=1
Those look like the same one Smokin00WS6 ended up with, see post #77. I don't think they are quiet as install friendly as the ones I got, but you could may get it to work. Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

InfiniteReality, what kind of low/high beams are those?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dabest09
InfiniteReality, what kind of low/high beams are those?
Which picture? If it's my sig, they're Hella 60mm lows, stock highs with knockoff fogs.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Which picture? If it's my sig, they're Hella 60mm lows, stock highs with knockoff fogs.
Sorry I was referring to the ones on post #191. They look different than stock, but very close to stock. They aren't projectors.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

OK, after reading most of this thread, I ordered a set of the Xprite 4.5 fog light - led 30w. Their product data indicates the lumens is 2400. This should be a step up from the Luyed 900 lumens LED's.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I was referring to the ones on post #191. They look different than stock, but very close to stock. They aren't projectors.
Those are Bosch housings on all 4 lights. They take H4 bulbs and have hi/low functions. I run HIDs in them and I don't suggest it unless you have tried the Hella 60mm projectors first. They suck compared to them, but then again the step on the projector sucks too. With this car we honestly can't win and I've tried everything, lol. I'm back to projectors again, but getting tired of the issues I have with them.

Originally Posted by trex600450
OK, after reading most of this thread, I ordered a set of the Xprite 4.5 fog light - led 30w. Their product data indicates the lumens is 2400. This should be a step up from the Luyed 900 lumens LED's.
Post some links when you get time. I've learned not to believe any Chinese LED specs, they skew them so much it's hard to say what's to be believed. Worse case they're on par so if they're even just barely better, no reason not to get them instead. If you can post some installed pics when you get them installed, I look forward to seeing your thoughts on them.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are Bosch housings on all 4 lights. They take H4 bulbs and have hi/low functions. I run HIDs in them and I don't suggest it unless you have tried the Hella 60mm projectors first. They suck compared to them, but then again the step on the projector sucks too. With this car we honestly can't win and I've tried everything, lol. I'm back to projectors again, but getting tired of the issues I have with them.
Hmm I've never seen those bosch ones. Do you have any wall shots?

I'm running some retrofitted Mini H1 projectors right now that I made but I'm really considering the hellas and some plates from Tram. What issues are you having with the projectors? Are you saying the steep step on the hellas is what you dislike?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm I've never seen those bosch ones. Do you have any wall shots?

I'm running some retrofitted Mini H1 projectors right now that I made but I'm really considering the hellas and some plates from Tram. What issues are you having with the projectors? Are you saying the steep step on the hellas is what you dislike?
Yep definitely the step is annoying. If it was a normal one, it'd be the perfect setup. Other than the steep step, mine are extremely hard to align, adjusters are almost all the way in which puts the bulb against the screw behind it. With Hella projectors my headlight lids don't go always down and have a little gap now and make crazy noises going up or down. Also have to pop the hood to even turn them on. It's likely more just my car tho, fixing to look into it today tho.

Tell me more about your MH1s. How'd you seal them from the weather? How did you mount? I'd love to use them if I could, would you have any pictures of them?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep definitely the step is annoying. If it was a normal one, it'd be the perfect setup. Other than the steep step, mine are extremely hard to align, adjusters are almost all the way in which puts the bulb against the screw behind it. With Hella projectors my headlight lids don't go always down and have a little gap now and make crazy noises going up or down. Also have to pop the hood to even turn them on. It's likely more just my car tho, fixing to look into it today tho.

Tell me more about your MH1s. How'd you seal them from the weather? How did you mount? I'd love to use them if I could, would you have any pictures of them?
Damn, I've never heard of anyone else with some of those problems you listed.

I did the project years ago, I can send you some pics. It didn't turn out 100% like I wanted it to but they've been working well since 2012. After doing it though it's not worth the hassle, these cars just weren't meant to retro anything other than the hellas unless you really want to put a lot of time into it.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also how is the width on those 60mm hellas? I thought I heard some complaints on the width not being very good.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I am a pretty random check in/view forum guy sorry lol Hey here are a few pics I took after finishing, it was a rain/snow mix that night but so things were dirty and messy for pics, happy with it as it is now. I agree the step on the hella is sharp, doesn't bother me to much tho I hardly notice, I compared it to many of the vehicles I see at work and its near identical to factory projectors currently and on previous models of vehicles I work on.

I have some yellows in my high beams and reaimed them for more of a winter/bad weather only low/high beam light.
But agreed on the adjustment, It took many tries with some redneck fixes to get them to finally be straight and level properly, although the one still shakes/vibrates a lot at times, I can see it as it reflects off traffic/road signs driving down the road but cant tell just by looking or watching it, had friends in front of me saying they did not notice it at all.

These fogs were much brighter then I would have thought, I let mine aim up a bit more then stock, but love them so far. I installed that 3rd bolt with some locks from the back to use as a height aim adjustment. And somehow my dot numbers were on top... and the wire to the lower left corner when looking at it from the back.

Excuse my missing front plate cover/fill, working on getting a litttle dent out of it lol

Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Gentlemen, I am about to start this HID / projector headlight conversion. Are we saying now it is not worth the hassle ?

I presently have LMC's with LED's, which I stated before in another post, are acceptable. My headlights open and close with zero issues. I ordered the Xprite LED fog light bulb set a few days ago, for the Harleys. Is it possible that with the addition of the 4.5 LED 2400 lumen fog lights, this will be a satisfactory combo without using any HID projectors ?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I've never heard of anyone else with some of those problems you listed.

I did the project years ago, I can send you some pics. It didn't turn out 100% like I wanted it to but they've been working well since 2012. After doing it though it's not worth the hassle, these cars just weren't meant to retro anything other than the hellas unless you really want to put a lot of time into it.
Yeah I think it's specific to my car, don't know why so many issues with headlights on this thing, guess I've tried one too many, ha. DEFINITELY agree these cars aren't meant to retrofit for sure, especially mine. I'd really like to see some pictures, I definitely wouldn't mind giving up my Hella's for some MH1's. I just sent you a PM.

Also how is the width on those 60mm hellas? I thought I heard some complaints on the width not being very good.
The I have a pair of stacked Morimoto MH1's on my busa and they're definitely alot wider than the 60mm projectors. I don't mind and doesn't bother me driving with the Hellas, it's just that damn huge step on them

Originally Posted by Trav2SS
I am a pretty random check in/view forum guy sorry lol Hey here are a few pics I took after finishing, it was a rain/snow mix that night but so things were dirty and messy for pics, happy with it as it is now. I agree the step on the hella is sharp, doesn't bother me to much tho I hardly notice, I compared it to many of the vehicles I see at work and its near identical to factory projectors currently and on previous models of vehicles I work on.

I have some yellows in my high beams and reaimed them for more of a winter/bad weather only low/high beam light.
But agreed on the adjustment, It took many tries with some redneck fixes to get them to finally be straight and level properly, although the one still shakes/vibrates a lot at times, I can see it as it reflects off traffic/road signs driving down the road but cant tell just by looking or watching it, had friends in front of me saying they did not notice it at all.

These fogs were much brighter then I would have thought, I let mine aim up a bit more then stock, but love them so far. I installed that 3rd bolt with some locks from the back to use as a height aim adjustment. And somehow my dot numbers were on top... and the wire to the lower left corner when looking at it from the back.
Thanks for the pictures, looks like it came out good for sure. I've tried some cheap $5/pair yellow halogen in my LMC housings and the sucked so I put the regular bulb back in.

Gentlemen, I am about to start this HID / projector headlight conversion. Are we saying now it is not worth the hassle ?

I presently have LMC's with LED's, which I stated before in another post, are acceptable. My headlights open and close with zero issues. I ordered the Xprite LED fog light bulb set a few days ago, for the Harleys. Is it possible that with the addition of the 4.5 LED 2400 lumen fog lights, this will be a satisfactory combo without using any HID projectors ?
I think it's mainly my car with the issues. The Hella's are the best (and almost only) option for projectors for our cars. If you can get over the non-stock look of them, I'd recommend them. They're a very nice upgrade one you get everything aligned.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Stupid question, are you guys removing the bumper for the install or going in thru the bottom? I have been trying to get the old ones out, but it sure seems pretty tight, not sure how to get it out with the bracket on.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay1981
Stupid question, are you guys removing the bumper for the install or going in thru the bottom? I have been trying to get the old ones out, but it sure seems pretty tight, not sure how to get it out with the bracket on.
You keep the bumper on, but for my car to get them out you'll have to remove the bracket from behind the bumper and drop them out
Old 02-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

To InfiniteReality, my LED fog lights arrived today, same as yours. They are much better than my led bulbs in the fog light housings. Actually, they are .....breath taking.
Finally a fog light that actually projects usable light forward.

I see you cut away part of the mounting bracket, which I will also do. What diameter bolt did you use to mount the Harley light to the OEM fog light frame ? I see your pics, but I can't tell the exact size.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see you cut away part of the mounting bracket, which I will also do. What diameter bolt did you use to mount the Harley light to the OEM fog light frame ? I see your pics, but I can't tell the exact size.
The fog's are amazing for sure! I don't remember what size bolts I used, but seems like I put that info in my original post? Either way it's whatever size you want it to be, just have to make sure it'll fit the heatsink

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 02-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)