Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trunk Pad for Fbody.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Trunk Pad for Fbody.

I sent Princess at Lethal Interiors a suggestion for a pad like this. If you agree it might be something you might consider let her know.

On the 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird in the rear there is a place to store the TTops. I rarely remove my T-Tops but the pit area to temporarily store them is a great place for storing essentials such as a qt of oil, window cleaner, car detailer etc. However it is visible. So what I did was to make a platform that fits nicely over the pit area. The extra room with the platform adds additional storage area above the lower area for my SLP car cover. The pad and platform reaches from the driver side to the passenger side.

Although it does look nice – I used cheap grey auto carpet from the auto department at Walmart. It could look much better.

I would much rather have a nice professionally made mat that I could lay in there instead. A bonus would be a mat with a Z28 or SS logo would be awesome and also a border wrap on the edges like the SLP mat shown in second pic. A simple hole or small strap to pull up on the pad and platform would make for easy removal or insertion. The extra pad also reduces noise someone. I even went so far as to add Dynamat under the platform for sound deadening.

I used stiff cardboard for now glued to the underside of the carpet with a one X one piece of wood to support the mat. Velcro strips would work as well to attach the pad to the platform so it can be cleaned or shampooed if necessary. I plan to change from the cardboard to a very thin piece of hardboard later.

My work for the time being was simply a test to see how it would look and if it helps to add storage, easy to remove and insert, and helps to reduce noise. It does all four.

Let her know what you think and if she is interested.

A pad other than an SLP pad would be nice too with a Z28 or SS logo.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-11-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Edit and add content
Old 11-11-2018, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I sent Princess at Lethal Interiors a suggestion for a pad like this. If you agree it might be something you might consider let her know.

On the 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird in the rear there is a place to store the TTops. I rarely remove my T-Tops but the pit area to temporarily store them is a great place for storing essentials such as a qt of oil, window cleaner, car detailer etc. However it is visible. So what I did was to make a platform that fits nicely over the pit area. The extra room with the platform adds additional storage area above the lower area for my SLP car cover. The pad and platform reaches from the driver side to the passenger side.

It does look nice, even though this is only meant to be a mock-up piece. The only issue is that it covers up the T-top holder section and this area is frequently used, by me, to store my crap. For anyone else who doesn't need the extra bit of storage space then this aftermarket product is for them! Plus, during the Spring and Summer, I do enjoy having a place to tuck away my T-tops and the rear seats are not kind as a makeshift solution.

Aside from this, this product does look interesting and it can be successful but it is meant for certain clientele, likely those who don't have T-tops and/or those who only drive these cars during the spring and summer or as weekend joy rides.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Agreed I like the idea and agree it's nice to have that layered storage, but I got a.milhouse box rather than your typical sub box due to the need to store my t tops.

This is definitely a hard top option though
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

The idea for the trunk mat is to create two storage areas - one being hidden from view (like a shelf to separate two areas for storage). It's functions is NOT to actually remove storage area.

Obviously owners with T-top want to use the T-top area when they remove their T-tops and store them in the back storage areas for T-tops. When doing so I am going to remove the pad and either lay it in the area where SLP pad is or leave it in the garage. If I am storing 'my crap' in that area - I am going to have to remove it same as everyone else. But the majority of the time - I drive with the T-tops in place and not stored in the trunk area.

FYI - the C5 and my C6 Corvette also have hidden compartments for storage when you remove the hardtop and store it in the trunk area. It's actually where I got the idea for my Camaro to try the same thing.

Is it for everyone - perhaps not.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

id be all over this!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Don’t our cars come with a cover for that area already? Mine hooks into the base of the side trim and lays at an angle from the back shelf to the lip of the hatch opening. It keeps everything in the well private and folds over into the shelf when the t-tops are stored.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes - but it doesn't add any storage space or create a hidden storage area like a removable pad and shelf will.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Last edited by VIP1; 11-14-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Princess said she is going to try to find backed carpeting in colors other than black.

It appears the only color she could find was black. The other issue is that her equipment can't sew typical backed auto carpet or boat carpet where there are all kinds of carpet colors to choose from.

I have her dash mat - that is the type of backed carpet material she can sew. Problem is that the only available color is black. It's thinner than normal auto carpet. And makes sense as there is no need to have a heavy floor carpet material for a dash mat, or for a mat in the trunk area.

There is thin auto carpet at Walmart and AutoZone etc in grey. Problem is that it is NOT backed and therefore not supple enough to be used for mat. I glued cardboard to my temporary mat shown in pics to firm it up. But that's a chinsey way of firming up the top carpet layer. As I said, it was for testing only.

Will post here is she finds anything.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just a heads up. I use a 2015 equinox rear cargo mat in the rear hatch area behind the seat it's a perfect fit between the seat and t-top well and between the rear trim pieces. It's a nice weather tech type material with a Chevy logo in the middle.
Trunk Pad for Fbody.-photo596.jpg
Old 11-17-2018, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have already have the SLP mat for that area. Don't necessarily like the SLP logo however and would prefer a Z28 logo instead. Same for my front carpets which are SLP. They are very high quality, however, and fit perfectly.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a molded rubber trunk mat made for the 4th gen in mine.. I will try and get a pic of it tomorrow since I cant find any with a google search