Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crazy idea but.. 6th Gen Rearview mirror / OnStar in 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Crazy idea but.. 6th Gen Rearview mirror / OnStar in 4th Gen?

The main reason I want the 6th Gen rear view mirror isnt because of OnStar or even the fact that it's newer, but that it's not mounted on the windshield and instead installed on the roof. The issue I'm having is this.. I have purchased and replaced two eBay headliners and both of them fall prone to a very strange issue. They allign perfectly everywhere except the very front. It is here where the entire headline board (made of ABS plastic) literally sags and looks awful. The supplied velcro isn't strong enough to hold it up as there is a lot of tension in that area. From the front of the car you can see INSIDE the headliner into the T-Top frame and it is sagging just above my rear view mirror and I've tried everything from glue to velcro and nothing is holding it up. If I use a 6th Gen mirror I. Believe the brace there would be sufficient in holding it.. if not can you think of any other creative ways I can hold that thing in place?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still using the stock headliner (mine is in great condition) but I took it down last year to put sound deading on the t-top roof area.

As you know, we have a clip mount in the center of the headliner into a hole in the roof to mount/secure it.

But I thought I saw another mounting hole in the front where your talking about, it was unused of course. You should be able to use another plastic clip up front. I supposed if there isnt a hole already there, drill one.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
I'm still using the stock headliner (mine is in great condition) but I took it down last year to put sound deading on the t-top roof area.

As you know, we have a clip mount in the center of the headliner into a hole in the roof to mount/secure it.

But I thought I saw another mounting hole in the front where your talking about, it was unused of course. You should be able to use another plastic clip up front. I supposed if there isnt a hole already there, drill one.
Thats what I was kind of wondering about, how difficult would it be to drill there and would doing do hurt anything else?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the ABS liner warped or just heavy?

If it is warped, you could heat it up to soften the ABS and form it a bit better. Just be careful you don't get it too soft.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Is the ABS liner warped or just heavy?

If it is warped, you could heat it up to soften the ABS and form it a bit better. Just be careful you don't get it too soft.
It warped then sagged, but what I don't understand is why it keeps happening.
My first ABS headliner did the same thing. Is it that it gets so hot in GA?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be. ABS gets soft easy
Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

That's sad to hear. I was considering an ABS headliner myself one day.

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Thats what I was kind of wondering about, how difficult would it be to drill there and would doing do hurt anything else?
There should be no harm in drilling that one extra hole. It's already done by factory in the area, your just adding another up front more. I think there is a bar there to be drilled into. But I'm pretty sure there is already a hole to be used. I just cant remember for sure.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I heat it and manage to reform it, do you think I can help it retain it's shape by slathering the board in super glue once I have it properly shaped?

That's sad to hear. I was considering an ABS headliner myself one day.

There should be no harm in drilling that one extra hole. It's already done by factory in the area, your just adding another up front more. I think there is a bar there to be drilled into. But I'm pretty sure there is already a hole to be used. I just cant remember for sure.
I will check into it.
I would really like a piece of trim with a screw hole inside of it and a clip that hides the screw but I don't know if I will be able to find that so easily
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

The GM part number for the retainer is: 10121502

Then just drill a hole in the roof panel, and aling it with one in the ABS board.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GM part number for the retainer is: 10121502

Then just drill a hole in the roof panel, and aling it with one in the ABS board.
cool, thanks for that.

Quick Reply: Crazy idea but.. 6th Gen Rearview mirror / OnStar in 4th Gen?