Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black Paint Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Paint Care

So I recently brought my Black Z/28 with stock chrome rims down to California to be with me. No matter how often I go to the car wash I feel like I do a subpar job of cleaning my car which I would like to fix. What are some general care tips/tricks from some people who actually know a thing or two about taking care of these vehicles? It' a gorgeous car, and I care about it, but I want to feel like I deserve the car and I'm not just another guy driving around who doesn't appreciate what he has. Also, if anyone could recommend a good car cover for the SoCal area, specifically Oceanside and the surrounding area, please point me in the right direction, preferably one that wont scratch my paint! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both, a Black '97 Ram-Air and a Black '02 Firehawk. Both killer looking cars in their black color, but also a PITA to keep clean. I'd be at the car wash twice a week during my lunch breaks.

The past few years I'm driving around in a Red Firehawk. Much easier to keep looking clean!

The price to pay of a good looking black car is the difficult in keeping it looking clean.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Come on over to Autogeek or Autopia. You will get a lot of good info there.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a detail freak with vehicles and I have had probably 10-15 cars/trucks with Black paint. It's the best color ever. That being said, it's a bitch to clean. Many times I have cleaned/waxed/buffed and felt like I needed to start over at the end of it because it's already dirty. Most of it is in my head, but you will know every flaw in your paint once you spend enough time with a black car.

My advice, once you have it shined up nice, back up about 10ft from the car and you will see that the car is awesome and most the flaws will fade away. You can do some searching for threads about clay baring a vehicle and buffing and all of that jazz. It's another hobby in itself.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A good clay job is always a great place to start. Then look to see if you have any scratches that could be compounded or polished out. A simple DA polisher is more than sufficient for most hobbyists, and very safe.

Poor washing techniques is definitely the bane of black paint.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Number Tew
A good clay job is always a great place to start. Then look to see if you have any scratches that could be compounded or polished out. A simple DA polisher is more than sufficient for most hobbyists, and very safe.

Poor washing techniques is definitely the bane of black paint.
This is true. It makes me cringe when I see someone only using one bucket.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Batman
This is true. It makes me cringe when I see someone only using one bucket.
My neighbors see me using two buckets and they still don't get it lol
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Number Tew
My neighbors see me using two buckets and they still don't get it lol
lol. I've had to explain simple paint care stuff to a lot of people. Nobody washes/details their own cars anymore
Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Batman
lol. I've had to explain simple paint care stuff to a lot of people. Nobody washes/details their own cars anymore
Certainly sad. With car companies out churning out appliances left and right, the hobby is certainly losing ground.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever cover you use put down Flannel bed sheet or polar fleese on surface before you pull the cover on. I've done that since I did a 12 hour detail 4 years ago and have not put swirls back in. I have lightly repolished bottom of 1/4s
because blankets don't kling to side panels like hood,roof,trunk. Never use duster and I use Ultima wasterless wash plus concentrate. Its the best stuff I have found.

Quick Reply: Black Paint Care