Replacement Camaro headlamps - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replacement Camaro headlamps

Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
TECH Junkie

Default Replacement Camaro headlamps

Mine are a little worse for the wear, and I want to look into converting to a more efficient headlamp style. It looks like LED's are preferred over HID, but other than that, the various CCFL, halo, projector, and other various terms have my head swimming. I'm basically looking for the OEM look, with the best natural and effective lighting solution that is simple to install. I want it to be low maintenance, but prefer functionality over bling.

Any specific feature combinations or models you can recommend?
JimMueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

DEPO Black housing headlamps. Cant beat them really for price, looks and performance without going absolutely bonkers fitting HIDs or LEDs in them.
jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
TECH Junkie

These? If yes, I see comments about the following... I'd rather pay more for a better designed product.

Amazon Amazon

From comments:
1) poor weather seal, comes loose soon after installation
2) poor adjusters, needing to move over the OEM adjusters
3) better to use the OEM lamp bracket
4) Review: The picture shows one of the headlights with a clear lens and black painted inside forward facing bezel with standard reflective surface surrounding the bulbs. An awesome and functional look. The actual headlights had a clear lens with most of the inside reflective surfaces painted black, including the bulb surrounds, thus cutting down on the overall brightness of the bulbs.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member

I have the whistler depot headlights from Amazon. While the fitment isn't quite as good as OEM it's still close enough. As far as any real issues I haven't had any in the 2 years that I've owned them. Of course they look much better than stock
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

You can save your original lenses......
Remove the Headlights.
*Use a heat gun to remove the rubber weatherstriping.
*Use 1000 grit sandpaper & WET sand the lenses to remove the oxidation, Keep the sandpaper WET! (I prefer 3M).
*You can now switch to 2000 grit IF you want to best possible finish (Keep it WET!).
*Use 3M Machine Polish & Polish the lenses at low speed with a drill & Buffing Wheel. Use enough polish to keep from burning the lens.
*Reinstall the weatherstripping with 3M weatherstripping adhesive.....Super Glue also works.
*Top it off with some new headlight bulbs.

Mine were VERY oxidized.....Caulky White from the Texas sun, I just did the 1000 grit & machine polish & didn't spend the time to make them perfect as my car is going to get painted in the next year.

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMueller View Post
These? If yes, I see comments about the following... I'd rather pay more for a better designed product.

https://www.amazon.com/Depo-335-1122.../dp/B005XRQ694

From comments:
1) poor weather seal, comes loose soon after installation
2) poor adjusters, needing to move over the OEM adjusters
3) better to use the OEM lamp bracket
4) Review: The picture shows one of the headlights with a clear lens and black painted inside forward facing bezel with standard reflective surface surrounding the bulbs. An awesome and functional look. The actual headlights had a clear lens with most of the inside reflective surfaces painted black, including the bulb surrounds, thus cutting down on the overall brightness of the bulbs.
I bought mine from 6LE a few years ago. I have never had any issues described above. Those look like knockoffs to me. I paid something in the $300 range.
jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
TECH Junkie

I've used headlamp cleaner before, but the trouble lamp I have was previously clear coated and removing the peeling clear coat has been a challenge. Besides, some of the plastic mounting tabs on the rear of the headlamp have cracked off and making them a little loose.

I'll check out 6LE's options. I've already chatted with BLS on their HID solutions.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
TECH Senior Member

6LE at one point was painting OEMs, maybe...? or he was just selling the Depo lights at a big markup.

I have BLS lights on my car, which uses the Depo lights as a foundation they work off of. No moisture issues with them at all. I think I may have adjusted the "non-adjustable" post to close the gap some. It is just a screw post. I don't recall if I just pushed it outward a bit or I may have put a few washers in to space it out some.
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
6LE at one point was painting OEMs, maybe...? or he was just selling the Depo lights at a big markup.

I have BLS lights on my car, which uses the Depo lights as a foundation they work off of. No moisture issues with them at all. I think I may have adjusted the "non-adjustable" post to close the gap some. It is just a screw post. I don't recall if I just pushed it outward a bit or I may have put a few washers in to space it out some.
Ae you using the Bi-Xenon or HID kit? If the latter, where did you place the ballasts to keep them away from heat & moisture?
Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
TECH Senior Member

HID. I put the ballasts on the flat metal support/frame/thingy behind the lights. They fit perfectly there. I used industrial velcro to hold them in place. They are weatherproof so if they get somewhat wet they're fine.
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcam02 View Post
DEPO Black housing headlamps. Cant beat them really for price, looks and performance without going absolutely bonkers fitting HIDs or LEDs in them.
+1 for black housing headlights.
ChopperDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #12
Staging Lane

Depots from Amazon, happy customer here.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Camaro headlamps-2017-10-15-21.23.29.jpg  
ATXSS is offline   Reply With Quote