Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need to replace hood (suncoast question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need to replace hood (suncoast question)

I did a search, and read about all the complaints in the past........... Has suncoast gotten there **** together? i need a new hood, and was thinking maybe the suncoast (i dont EVEN know what a new FACTORY ws6 hood cost )

i need some suggestions in case your wondering why i was choosing the suncoast: i kinda like the idea of a sealed ram air box...
Old 07-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Launching!

I don't know how they are now, but a couple years ago I ordered a SS Style hood with the airbox. They sent me the Ultra-Z style hood by mistake (box said SS, so did the paperwork), and they quickly took that one back and sent me the right one even though the body shop started prepping it. It was good quality, not the exact design of the OEM version, I did have to buy my own glue to seal the foam to the hood to allow the airbox to seal, kinda hard to close, because the airbox was soo close to the hood, if I am not mistaken, the airbox was actually rubbing in a spot.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since my car is out for a couple of weeks with some front end damage I plan on getting the WS9 style hood. Its just like the WS6 style, but has the firehawk heat extractors on it. They also make the regular WS6 style hood. do a search on e-bay and you will find it, you can also do a search on some of the other LS1 forums and find info about it. Its going for 500 bux, then shipping is paid when the hood arives. The factory WS6 hood goes for 1800 from the dealerships and 1200 from GM parts direct. If hood sealing is an issue for you, run down to the hardware store and get some thick weather stripping and make your own seal. Another thing you might not like about the suncoast hood is that the openings on the nostrils are rectangular. Take a closer look and you will see.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

cool thats what i need!...... more feedback please

thanks

Damian
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have a ta, but i do have a suncoast hood, and i have no complaints.The RA sits nice and tight on the intake, and i have had no rubbing problems to date.I have only had the hood since april though.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

i should also ask, will i have a problem with that "ram air" box- and my NX MAF KIT, plus i thought i read on here somewhere that the "neck" of that airbox, is so damn crimpled, its a surprise air can get through there..... does any of that ring a bell- or make sense, im trying to get as much info on these hoods as possible before i ecide which one to get.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

If I were you I wouldn't even bother with a SunCoast Hood. They don't look like the original and they look bulky and just makes your car look worse. I friend of mine bought a suncoast hood and it did not look good at all. The best thing to do is search eBay and find a factory hood or maybe you can find one that is lightly damaged EZ Fixer and get a good deal on it.

Damon
Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 PM
PR Director

If you search around the boards every so often someone sells a used GM hood for $500-$800. It will be a better buy than the suncoast. You also wouldn't have to worry about fitment problems. Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the OEM Hood I got mine and had no problems with fitment. It was worth the money not having to worry about fitment.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im purchasing the WS9 hood from US exotics since my car was involved in an accident. It has the WS6 nostrils with the hawk heat extractors. Its going for 500 and ive heard nothing but good things about it. If I wasnt going with this hood it would be a WS6 style hood from ASCD.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the record, I have a suncoast hood. Had it for almost 5 years now. It was really a good fit. It was a little rough around the edges, but most aftermarket hoods will require some prep before they are 100%. I love mine, but its time for a new look . Now I'm in the process of fabbing up a custom kit for mine. Should have pics soon.

Rich
Old 07-07-2004, 06:59 PM
PR Director

Originally Posted by dame
I did a search, and read about all the complaints in the past........... Has suncoast gotten there **** together? i need a new hood, and was thinking maybe the suncoast (i dont EVEN know what a new FACTORY ws6 hood cost )

i need some suggestions in case your wondering why i was choosing the suncoast: i kinda like the idea of a sealed ram air box...
Check the parts for sale section. Someone has a GM hood for sale off a Collectors Eddition.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

im gonna go with the us exotics hood (ws9) IF i can find him on ebay, i tried and cant find him! can anyone help??
Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if not pm fabricator. he should be able to do something for ya

Quick Reply: need to replace hood (suncoast question)