Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Upgrades

Finally got around to installing the Mazda 2 HVAC ***** that have been sitting on my parts shelf for the last three years. I like them, but if my memory serves me correctly they are supposed to be glowing red. Ill have to fix that in the future. Video Below Pic

The following users liked this post:
Johnnyblazels1 (09-22-2019)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks way better. What year Mazda2 are those from? I am also doing the Miata vent mod, just need to source 1 more vent.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
Looks way better. What year Mazda2 are those from? I am also doing the Miata vent mod, just need to source 1 more vent.

You know, I absolutely do not remember, I bought these like 3 years ago on Ebay. But I did have to modify them a little bit as they are not a direct fit. I used a hard plastic compound I had laying around. I then stuck them on the pins of a spare HVAC I had while it hardened. In hind sight I should have applied some sort of lubricant to the pins so that they came back off easier. But I was afraid of it contaminating the compound while it dried causing it to not harden properly. It took a while and a bit of patience but they did finally come free. After that I was able to insert them and they do work and feel solid.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you, I will start my search for some. Do you recall what you used for the plastic compound?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you attach the HVAC ***** to the factory unit? Just glue the on? They look really good!!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
Thank you, I will start my search for some. Do you recall what you used for the plastic compound?
Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
How did you attach the HVAC ***** to the factory unit? Just glue the on? They look really good!!

I used Permatex Plastic Weld Epoxy along with the above mentioned process. I had some 3m stuff but when I did a test it just would not cure hard enough. I think the Permatex I used can withstand up to 3500 PSI if I'm not mistaken. I would make sure you have a spare HVAC Panel (Pulled mine from a Junk Yard a few years back) As the pins on the one I used for a mold (In a Sense) Dont turn very easily now and one is completely seized from some of the epoxy running. It didn't work anyways so no loss on my part. I did a quick ebay search and Im pretty sure the only sellers selling these are from China. Could try Amazon and see if threes any US Sellers. I need to order one more to do the light switch and when I install that ill take some pictures of how I did it.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ruken
I used Permatex Plastic Weld Epoxy along with the above mentioned process. I had some 3m stuff but when I did a test it just would not cure hard enough. I think the Permatex I used can withstand up to 3500 PSI if I'm not mistaken. I would make sure you have a spare HVAC Panel (Pulled mine from a Junk Yard a few years back) As the pins on the one I used for a mold (In a Sense) Dont turn very easily now and one is completely seized from some of the epoxy running. It didn't work anyways so no loss on my part. I did a quick ebay search and Im pretty sure the only sellers selling these are from China. Could try Amazon and see if threes any US Sellers. I need to order one more to do the light switch and when I install that ill take some pictures of how I did it.
That's awesome! Thanks a lot for that info. I might try this myself lol
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

i bought the ***** this past winter. i am definitely going to do this. I got one for the headlight switch as well. but thats a great idea about using a HVAC panel from a junkyard as a mold. I hope it works well. I messaged a couple people who have done this in the past and they had mentioned that they removed their ***** because it didn't hold well enough or something. either way, I'm gonna try it this fall
Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Maximus0066
i bought the ***** this past winter. i am definitely going to do this. I got one for the headlight switch as well. but thats a great idea about using a HVAC panel from a junkyard as a mold. I hope it works well. I messaged a couple people who have done this in the past and they had mentioned that they removed their ***** because it didn't hold well enough or something. either way, I'm gonna try it this fall

I saved my old ***** just in case something fails with this little project lol
Old 07-27-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

They do look good. I did this mod and later, 2 of the 3 ***** "broke" off. They separated at the seam where I glued them to the reused part of the stock ****. Problem was that now, the piece remaining was IN the HVAC control panel. I never did fix it before selling the car, but I'm here to warn you all: use plastic epoxy (I did) and make sure to reinforce it somehow to make sure the base doesn't separate. I never did generate a solution, that's on y'all to do.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Seeing as I have designed things for most of my life and could not find a clear concise way people were doing these. I had a spare set of HVAC

***** and found I could make adapters out of them. I have also designed a 3D printable adapter as well. Though I have not tried the printed ones yet. Stock has metal inserts in the HVAC, but not the headlight ****. Also to make the color red through the clear Mazda ****, I found you can buy red tail light repair tape and made an adhesive washer to cover the clear ring to make them red.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Seeing as I have designed things for most of my life and could not find a clear concise way people were doing these. I had a spare set of HVAC

***** and found I could make adapters out of them. I have also designed a 3D printable adapter as well. Though I have not tried the printed ones yet. Stock has metal inserts in the HVAC, but not the headlight ****. Also to make the color red through the clear Mazda ****, I found you can buy red tail light repair tape and made an adhesive washer to cover the clear ring to make them red.

Your way sounds way easier and less labor intensive. Im going to give your way a try on the head light ****. If the ones I mad dont hold up and your method does Ill be doing that to the other three as well.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruken
Your way sounds way easier and less labor intensive. Im going to give your way a try on the head light ****. If the ones I mad dont hold up and your method does Ill be doing that to the other three as well.
Labour was about 20 minutes to 30 minutes per **** once I had a method down. It held .003" on the square to get a good snug fit. No glue or anything required, and you can remove them after as well. I used grinding tools to rough it in and then files of different coarseness to sneak up on the sizes. You do need you cut the clear part down on the Mazda **** about .100" below the flat surface to get it to sit flush with the HVAC panel. I have seen some leave them raised to bleed light around them, but I liked the flush look better.

The headlight is different design, so it took a little fooling around, but the same concept.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to a U-pull yard today and got some spare Firebird *****. Modded the Mazda ***** with RAMPANT method. Took a little while but they seem to fit and work great. Problem is, my 93 does not have any (or very little) light behind the *****, so the Mazda ***** do not illuminate (neither do the original ones). What would be the best way to get some light behind them? Replace the HVAC controls with 98-02 panel or add LEDs somehow?

Quick Reply: Interior Upgrades