Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Halo lights button?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Halo lights button?

Guys im looking to add the halo lights to my Z...long story short i'd like to wire the lights to an additional button up by the (asr, and fog-light buttons) Where can I purchase another one of these buttons? is it hard to wire?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

no i just bought one from autozone and wired the red into the back of it and ran another wire to the battery accessorie thing by the fuse box under the hood and turn it on whenever i want. you can see mine on my website http://members.cardomain.com/z28ls1camaroguy
Old 05-09-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

The way I did it was VERY easy, and in my opinion the best looking. I picked up an extra fog light switch and a dummy plate from another ls1tech user. I popped out the CAMARO logo that sits next to the original fog switch and the asr switch. This reveals two extra slots, so I popped the extra fog switch and blank panel in. Went to the local GM junkyard, and grabbed up a fog light switch wiring harness. I simply used wire-taps to tap into all of the existing wires to the original fog light switch, EXCEPT the YELLOW wire. This is the HOT output. So I ran the two Halo wires REDs together into one and ran it up to the YELLOW wire. This means that I have to have the headlight switch on in order to have the Halos on, but this was SOOOO easy to do. It's also easy to simply run a switched +12v wire into the switch, but I can't recall which wire is the power in.

I will try and get some pics and put them up tonight for you.

Make sense? See my other post here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/295764-halo-s-installed-pic.html
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have mine rigged to a switch in the ashtray that looks like nothing special at all but have it wired to the ignition, so i can have the halos on when the car is on but without DRL's or headlights, but not so i can drain my battery....
Old 05-09-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, took a pic of the switch panel like I said I would...

Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome!! THX guys!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Awesome!! THX guys!
No problemo. Let me know if you need a picture of the wiring, cause I could snap one of that quickly. Also, here is a breakdown of the wiring for the fog light switch wiring harness. Note: if you want to have full access to the halos (without having to actually turn on headlight switch), then you simply hook the BROWN wire up to a switched +12v source, like say the one for the stereo!

A - Light Green - ground for the ON indicator lamp
B - Black - ground for the switch illumination
C - Gray - power from the headlights for switch illumination
D - not used
E - Brown - power input for the fog lights (connect this to switched +12v)
F - Yellow - power output for the fog lights (connect this to red Halo wire)
Old 05-10-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98ZEE28
Ok, took a pic of the switch panel like I said I would...

that looks great man, very clean. also, what do you have your iPOD mounted with? i am wanting to buy the box that ties the iPOD directly to the stereo, but need a nice clean way to sit it in the car so i can see the screen. yours is exactly what i am looking for. nice work
Old 05-10-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by abadss
that looks great man, very clean. also, what do you have your iPOD mounted with? i am wanting to buy the box that ties the iPOD directly to the stereo, but need a nice clean way to sit it in the car so i can see the screen. yours is exactly what i am looking for. nice work
You'll NEVER guess. Ok, I'll just tell you. Know when you buy the iPod and it comes with the little belt clip holster? Well, it's upside down and velcroed to the console just above the cigarette lighter! That's all! I spent a week looking for something online and never found anything, so I improvised. It stays put, and cost me only for the velcro! See my other post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/319399-new-alpine-9847-ipod-adapter-installed.html with more info/pics...

Back on topic though, I found the part # for the blank switch plate, it's #10273932. I didn't find the part # for the fog light switch though, maybe someone else knows?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

UR awesome!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't do it for my halo's but i did do 2 extra switches for Power Antenna and Line Lock. Pretty easy to do like 98ZEE28 said. I picked my switches up on eBay. They are on there pretty regularly. I went the extra step of changing the light color. That was a B#@ch. but worth the results:
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey blaSSt, how hard was it changing the color of the lights? I'd imagine it was pretty damn hard...got any details?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:41 PM

I have an extra fog light button that I put a red LED in, I can change the color or what not if you want it.. Let me know, also anyone else interested I can change the color in those switches if you dont feel up to it. I have red, blue, hyperwhite and purple LEDs to do it with..
-Nathan
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not that hard once you get into it. You just have to take the switch apart and replace the LED. The only thing to be careful about is the voltage rating of the LED and making sure the loose contact plate stays where it should during reassembly. My problems came about because LED's only work one way. Don't put it in backwards or you'll have to do it all over. And the line loc wiring had to be modified to provide sufficient voltage to light up the switch.

What I still haven't figured out (YET) is how to relabel the switches in a way that will look factory. still working on that one.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I would be interested in getting some of those multi colored lights on the dash. Also, Blasst where did u get the whiteface gauges with the black stand out bezzel!! I love it..is it an overlay or a replacement? and if you don't mind me asking how much did u pay for the both$$? THx!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks Vertigo!

The Gauges in the dash are the 200 MPH gauges from Granatelli. One of the best things I ever did for the car. They are expensive ($300), but get noticed a lot. You send in your gauge cluster, they replace the face and recalibrate the gauges.

The Bezel is from a Trans Am. You can find them for sale on here from time to time. I will check with my source to see if they still have any available. I don't remeber what I paid but i'm sure it was under $50.

The auxillary guages in the center console are Autometer Phantoms. They go well with the rest of the gauges.

Good luck with the LED's in the switches. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Quick Reply: Halo lights button?