Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

SLP car cover, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP car cover, any good?

I need a car cover immediately for my 2000 Trans Am since I'll be without a garage for a short time. Does anybody have it and like it? Also, it's important that it is waterproof, but the only place that sells it doesn't really say one way or another if it is waterproof. Any input would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SLP cover is not water proof, more or less a thin tyvek/plastic cover. I would not use it for outdoor protection.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have their 35th anniversity cover. It should only be used indoors.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

GM covers with Stormshield work okay. It's what I got. It keeps the car cool (good U/V protection), so paint and interior doesn't take a beating from the sun. The cover is also waterproof. If it rains half a day or less, my car stays dry under the cover. If the rain is extensive, my car still gets a little bit wet from the moisture/humidity in the air pushing up between the car and the cover. No cover can deal with that outdoors.

I've had mine for over a year and it's a custom fit with the Trans Am logo in the front. Downside? My cover was an absolute rip-off, as are many things from the dealer. I love my cover, but if I could've done it over, I would have searched for a third-party U/V and waterproof custom-fit cover instead. There are a couple on the internet, I'm sure.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:18 AM
10 Second Club

The SLP is almost like a tent material as said above. I cover my car with it outside in the winter and it works really well. You can use spray on tent waterproofer on it.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

I had an SLP cover, it was the older design though. The new ones have a reflective coating or something. All I have to say is it is an indoor cover, it does nothing when it comes to handeling the elements, it acts like a sponge almost. Mine did however suvive 100+mph winds durring 3 hurricanes. It fits the car like a glove, and that is truely the only quality it features. I never sprayed it with waterproofer, so I can't comment on it. Sadly I need to get another cover, and I have to get an SLP one....this time I hope I have a better experience and I will try to spray it with waterproofer.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Teching In

NO! NO! NO! You do not want a waterproof car cover and for the love of your car do not spay a water proofing chemical on a breathable fabric car cover!
Car covers need to water resistant, but breathable, to allow trapped moisture to escape.
Places like summitracing.com, jcwhintney.com, carcoverworld.com offer custom fit covers from Wolfe or Covercraft in a variety of fabrics and price ranges. Covers made of Noah or Evolution/Technalon fabric are a good choice for all weather outdoor use. I have been using a Evolution cover on my Fiero for 19 years and it's been through rain, hail, snow and high winds. The paint and interior of the Fiero still look like new.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Info on car cover fabric can be found here Car Cover Fabrics
Old 10-17-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an excellent thread, came up with my search. As the cold months approach here in PA my car is sadly going to be living outside for most of the winter and a good car cover is going to be essential. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Quick Reply: SLP car cover, any good?