Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ZOOP Seal --Feedback how did it do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZOOP Seal --Feedback how did it do?

Looking for feedback on the ZOOP SEAL product. Has anyone used it how did it do? Have heard it only lasted for a few months on alum wheels. Has anyone had any problems.
What is required for prep prior to coating?
How about Polished Alum engine parts?
Dose it stand up to the heat?
Did take a way from the polished luster prior to sealing?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

What....... no one has used this product yet???
Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same question as you... i wanted to use it on my aluminum wheels and polished engine pieces but can't really find any information on it...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Teching In

I used it on my wheels , and it was a pain to apply . You have to wash the wheels in a tub and let dry . They didnt come out the way I thought they would . There fine but it seems to me they got cloudy after I put it on . If I had to do it over I would just use Flitz . It protects and cleans all types of metal .Also the zoop seal is now starting to wear off . You dont notice it that much but its peeling . By the way I use flitz on them .
Old 10-04-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zman
I used it on my wheels , and it was a pain to apply . You have to wash the wheels in a tub and let dry . They didnt come out the way I thought they would . There fine but it seems to me they got cloudy after I put it on . If I had to do it over I would just use Flitz . It protects and cleans all types of metal .Also the zoop seal is now starting to wear off . You dont notice it that much but its peeling . By the way I use flitz on them .
Few questions if you dont mind:

So the prep directions call for washing with soap and water? And let them air dry? Sounds like poor way to prep.

Now when you say starting to wear off, what do you mean. Is it peeling, chipping?

As for the cloudyness I can see a little bit due to the interferance with the light reflections when anything is applied over a polished surface. Do you think it is worse than a polished alum wheel with a coat of the OEM type of clearcoat?

You say you use FLITZ on them, is this after you applied the ZOOP Seal? Isnt Flitz a type of polish? Wonder if that would be the reason for wearing off?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I can't comment on Zoop Seal personally, but I've heard mixed reviews when used on wheels. Some like it, others do not. The one universal comment that keeps coming up is that it is a pain in the *** to apply.

In my personal experience with my polished aluminum rims, they are a pain in the *** to keep clean on any car that sits outside a good majority of its life. I would never do polished again on any type of daily driven car, or anything that sees rain. They are just too hard to keep looking clean. Right now, I'm getting ready to put my chrome ZR1s back on while I send my current rims off to be chromed.

I'll never do polished again. My time is worth way more than the cost of chrome in terms of both money and weight penalty. My $.02.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I got some brand new Zoop Seal I'll sell ya for $60
Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

My experience with it on my 18's that I had where ok at best. It really only lasted a year and a half at that. It didn’t help that while I was at sea the wife failed to clean my rims when she drove it. I would not do it again on wheels, but perhaps on other parts that are not as exposed to the elements.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Launching!

has anyone had any luck with polising things and then using the clear engine paint for keeping things shiny in the engine bay... ?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have thought of that as well, with something along the lines of PPG DCD35. Which is a very high quality clear coat.
Wanted feed back on the new Zoop seal, might have to do a test and see which would work & look the best.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it on my iForged wheels. I hate that crap. Like posted above, I used a big tub to wash each wheel in. I beleive u have to use distilled water, mixed with a cleaner they supply. Let them dry...(I did over night)

You mix the zoop, and apply a thin coat, then wipe it off.

I agree, the wheels do seem to get a little cloudy. I was pissed at first, now I'm bullshit. I wasted my money on that stuff, it lasted for like 2/3 months. I just bought a mothers powerball, so the next step is to use that.

I have to pull the wheels apart, and polish the hell out of them with that. I plan to stick with it so long as it works out well. I wasted too much money on that Zoop crap. Along with all the other crap products they sent me with their deluxe kit.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I used it on my iForged wheels. I hate that crap. Like posted above, I used a big tub to wash each wheel in. I beleive u have to use distilled water, mixed with a cleaner they supply. Let them dry...(I did over night)

You mix the zoop, and apply a thin coat, then wipe it off.

I agree, the wheels do seem to get a little cloudy. I was pissed at first, now I'm bullshit. I wasted my money on that stuff, it lasted for like 2/3 months. I just bought a mothers powerball, so the next step is to use that.

I have to pull the wheels apart, and polish the hell out of them with that. I plan to stick with it so long as it works out well. I wasted too much money on that Zoop crap. Along with all the other crap products they sent me with their deluxe kit.

DAMMMM .......... Now thats some feedback

Well this is not looking to good for this product. Might have to realy think about using a automotive finish clear coat method. I now it works great for painted surfaces but for a poilshed alum???????
Old 10-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Hawk .
#1 You have to clean them with soap & water and then a cleaner they give you . Also need to rinse them in distilled water . They need to be emirsed in it . Then air dryed after wipping off.
#2 Its peeling on the center caps , you have to look real close to notice it but Zoop says that after a year or so you might have to reapply.
#3 It isnt that bad but personally I woudnt use it again . I dont see that it does what it was put up to do . Flitz does a better job . Its a protectant and a polish
#4 I am pretty sure the flitz isnt the reason cause I just started useing it and the peeling started after 8 months and I used only zoops polish . I used the Flitz cause the wheels were duller than I wanted . The Flitz brought the shine back up to where people think there Chrome wheels all the time .
I detail cars and have used alot of different types of wheel polish and right now Flitz has worked the best . I show my 99 and the wheels look great after flitz
Old 10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

My solution: I'm getting my polished rims chromed. I'm tired of the powerball, hand polishing every weekend/every other weekend, and them still looking like crap as soon as it rains.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main problem with Zoopseal is that the manufacturer has marketed this product as being an easy 1-2-3 step process that any Joe Shmo with an IQ above 80 should be able to handle. The truth of the matter is that there is a HUGE margin for error when mixing and applying this stuff. There is no difference between Zoopseal and paint in the respect that paint has to be applied under the right conditions: clean dust free atmosphere, correct temperature, humidity has to be below a certain percentage, etc. The difference between paint and Zoopseal though, is that even if you don't have optimal working conditions with paint, there are still ways you can make corrections to compensate for them. (Thinning, air pressure, volume, sanding, etc.) With Zoopseal, it's an all or nothing proposition. Either you get it 100% right the first time or you'll have premature failure. The only correction for a mistake is to buff the stuff off and start all over again. At $130-$150 a kit, this can get expensive REAL quick.

618HAWK, try this link: http://www.alsacorp.com/products/cle...h_prodinfo.htm

That's the stuff you need right there.

Quick Reply: ZOOP Seal --Feedback how did it do?