Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone tinted their own windows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone tinted their own windows?

I was thinking about buying some pre cut tint film and trying my hand at tinting my own windows. I'm thinking it cant possibly be that hard.

So has anyone tinted their own windows? Was it a disaster? Did it look ok ? I have trouble justifying to myself paying someone to put a giant translucent sticker on my windows.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get some one to do the rear window at least.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have done tint on 3 of my cars now...the front windows aren't bad, but keep in mind one spec of dust and there will be a bubble. I have never been able to get the windows perfect however they were good enough not to be embarassed. The rear window is a different story, especially on these cars I would not even think about attempting that one. If you decide to do it get the rear one done professionally. I think the money is worth spending to get it done right rather than spending 4 hours of swearing and stress. Plus the end result will always be better when its done professionally. Hope that helps!! Good luck!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Launching!

why self tint jobs most of the time suck, I paid 200 for all my windows, with a lifetime warrenty you can't beat that.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

lol the back one is the one I was planning on attempting. A friend of mine said it would be a pain in the *** to do the back one but he usually doesnt know what hes talking about so i figured id ask you guys. Maybe I will just get the back one done professionally and do the sides myself when I fix the window motors.

Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

i tint windows. tinited a car today for a buddy, have two coming on tuesday, used to do it everyday...IMO it can be a headace...you will not get the back in one piece if you have to shrink it yourself and have never done it before...i live in indiana i dunno where homewood is but if you want ill knock your car out for you for 70 bux. Lifetime guarantee on the film(sunguard/ECP/FTI) and ill do it whatever shade you want. Plus if it is not PERFECT...i will redo it for you before you leave...

other than that you could do it on your own, but it gets al ittle irritating and if you are picky i would suggest away from it.

If you choose to do it on your own shoot me a pm and i will tell you how to get teh back window in one piece...

Louie

BTW homewood is like 30 minutes away.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I may take you up on that.... Homewood is just south of I 80 @ the halsted exit , merrillville is not too far at all...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

I tint windows also, It takes ALOT of practice to get it right. Almost any professional window tinter will have a lifetime gaurantee on there tint. Dont try to do it urself it will most likly give you headache
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I dont mind spending all damn day on it, I just dont want it to look like *** when im done. Just kinda tossing ideas around for now
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just bite the bullet and pay a professional. I have never seen a self tint job that didnt look like it was done by an amatuer. I think I paid about $120 for a 20% all the way around, with a lifetime warrenty. I am a perfectionist and wouldnt be happy with any bubbles or imperfections in my tint though. Just my $.02
James
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Somehow you guys always convince me not to be a cheapskate....
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it done professionally, you don't wanna look like a retard with purple bubbly tint from an "auto parts store". I tint windows at my work. $175 for the back and sides on a camaro/Bird... another $150 for the windshield (because they are the biggest front windows ever! i had to order a special huge roll of tint when i did mine) Tinting windows is an art form. it's a whole lot more than "just a translucent sticker" there is a lot of heating and shrinking of the film. along with the right preparation so that there isn't any dirt in your windows. plus i've yet to come across a tint shop that doesn't have a lifetime warranty, I offer it with mine. you're not happy for some reason or another, the tint ever peels, cracks, bubbles, i'll strip it and redo it for FREE! Like SchwindJ said, that's just my 2 cents! hope it helps www.DetailExpress1.com is my shops website to check out our prices!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

pay someone please
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret having my side windows done professionally. Within two months of having it tinted, cop pulled me over and I had to remove it. Was a waste of money, big time, and in that sense I would've just rathered tinting the side windows myself. The rear, yeah I would never try that myself. What sucks the worst is that my side windows were 35%, but because of the limo on the back, it made the whole car really dark, and the cop was a jerk about it (he was real sassy, apparently an import driver as he zoomed up to pull me over but he left the limo tinted civic alone).
Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Launching!

i also recommend getting the rear done by a professional. I am an amauter but i have tinted about 6 cars with the last one being the best. Its something that is hard to get right! If your not a professional you will spend hundreds of dollars trying to figure out how to get it right! 70 bucks it a good price so take him up on it. Also tell whoever tints the back to put a black strip of vinal on the top where the black fades into the glass otherwise the regular tint will not stick to it. In reguards to the sides what meissenation said is true the cops will make you take the tint off! What i found out is to get a reflective tint on the sides (not mirror just slightly refective) that way the cops think its just the reflection on the glass and not tint! I have this done on my sides and have had no problems and in illinois they are a royal pain in the *** about tint on the side windows. All my other cars that had regular tint on the sides i was constantly getting pulled over. Plus my 99 WS6 is pewter so it blends in real nicely.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not a cheapskate, just because you want to do it yourself. But some things are just not worth the hassel and problems that come with it. Have it done by someone else and sit back and enjoy. This is something I would not even attempt to do, and I dont like to let anyone touch my car.

Had all mine done -200.00 with a warnty.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

tint is a pain. me and my brother tinted my T-tops with 5%. maybe im a retard but it took us about an hour. it looks pretty good with the T-tops in place but when u take them off it looks like a retard put the tint on.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

do u guys think i could do the back window on my convertible, it looks pretty easy but i would have to work with the defrost. it looks like **** with the tint on it now so anything would probably be an improvement, or how much would it cost for the side and the back on a vert.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I will have someone that knows what they are doing tint the back and wait and do my sides myself since it would be a much bigger waste of money if I had to take the tint off. Half n half how much would ya charge me for just the back window ?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've been quoted $200-$250 for the sides/back which i think is pretty expensive. plus, legal in virginia is 55% side and 35% back. it almost doesn't seem worth it. i guess those goofy ricer shops are cheaper, but i'm cautious of using them.

Quick Reply: Anyone tinted their own windows?