No, the VIN still doesn't say SS, so it's a z28
82.34%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but. Its not like its an upgrade or anything.

Z28 has more history behind it if you ask me.

There are no IROC-SS's.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:25 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about de-"SSing" your car? Of all the SS items that were on my car new, I've replaced the hood, exhaust, shocks, springs, rubber tab near the air box opening, and even the power steering fluid cooler. The only remaining things are the spoiler and badges. The car was also repainted, so the door sticker is gone.

If this were five years ago, I'd be tempted to leave off the badges, for the dread of the "Is that a real SS" from every SLP lovin, birth certificate showin, dash plaque coveting SS owner. Don't think it's a special as it once was.

And as for the badges, the SS ones look 10x better that the big slanted z28. A better looking bagde may have prevented some of this nonsense.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my SS because it was a good deal. I was looking for a T/A, WS6, Formula, or Z28/ss.

yeah z28/ss because to me they are the same. There isn't a real power difference.

If I had found a z28 for a good deal like my SS I'd be Justin00z28. lol Althought I'd still be looking for an SS hood and spoiler. lol
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
If a Camaro was built from the ground up why could you not call it a camaro. I am not talking about a company that builds them and sells them as Camaros I am talking about a person building there own car for there own use.
Still illegal to call it a Camaro when GM owns the licensing to the name... You are defacing the value of their product by calling a product something it isn't and look pretty lame yourself in the process...

Install parts you like? OF COURSE! Using licensed brand names that aren't clones of some rare/historical car is fraudulent, lame and juevenile no matter what circular reasoning you use
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

those badges give you like 30-40 hp lol j/k i say do what you think looks good, if it has the SS looks in parts no one will no tell like he said its time to sell it
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Z28 is a Z28 not a SS - just like a GT is a GT not a Cobra
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I de-badged all my crappy OEM z28 badges, and replaced one on my berger panel with the Z06 style z28 logo.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

this body says camaro right on the front. they may have a licence but it says camaro from VFN not GM

I highly doubt it is illegal to put Camaro on your Camaro race car for your own personel use. or Camaro SS or what ever you want to its your car and you are not selling them.

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Still illegal to call it a Camaro when GM owns the licensing to the name... You are defacing the value of their product by calling a product something it isn't and look pretty lame yourself in the process...

Install parts you like? OF COURSE! Using licensed brand names that aren't clones of some rare/historical car is fraudulent, lame and juevenile no matter what circular reasoning you use

Oh I see, I guess thats why you were going to do thisbecause it is a more rare car, it's OK? You didn't even have all the parts or engine. it would be like putting Z28 emblems on a 3.8L. Now your at me???)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/627200-dick-harrell-emblem-yay-nay.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/626122-another-berger-emblem-question.html
Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Another board member posted this:

Apparently you can get the Dick Harrell emblem from here, wait, not sure if they're a sponsor (moderators have let me slide a LOT on this issue and I don't want to push it) so I'll just post a pic of what it looks like for sale for $50 from their website:

I think this is a GREAT substitution for the GMMG emblem that goes on Berger panels...

My thoughts are that since I have the Sunoco hood which is designed from the Dick Harrell Camaros I should be ok with this one emblem...

I don't know though... To me mods are only cool if they aren't lame (aka: SS emblems on a Z28) and I'm still trying to decide which category this would fall into...

Here's a pic of my car with the Sunoco hood for reference:

What do you guys think? Lame or cool?

EDIT: I AM NOT PUTTING THE BADGE ON MY CAR BUT HAVE LEFT THIS POST UP FOR OTHERS TO SEE THE PICS AND COMMENTS
a quote from that thread that I agree with
Originally Posted by DRSITES
100% SS badges on a Z is 100x's better then Dick Harrell badges (or GMMG/berger) on a regular f-bod. The SS is generally just a bodykit and suspension package, so while not authentic, a Z can immitate it pretty easily. A Dick Harrell Supercar is a 100k+ Collector's car.

If you had the rest of the body kit, i.e. flared fenders & spoiler, I'd say it'd be okay, as long as you never tried to pass it off as authentic.

BTW I like those corvette emblems on your wheels

Last edited by brandonppr; 03-11-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

I also say do what you want.

I completely disagree with the people that say:
"It's the same as calling a GT a Cobra"... it's not at all. A Cobra has different interior, bumpers, wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, and most importantly a different motor. It someone took the time to strip all those things off a GT Mustang and replace them with Cobra parts, I also wouldn't have a problem with them having the emblems

As we all know, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the SS package on the 4th gen fbodys is completely appearance (and shocks i believe?), if someone changes those little things and then puts on the badges, i could care less. Just up until the time you go to sell it, then you need to list that it's an SS clone..

Me personally, I considered it, but when I convert the appearance of my car to an SS, I am going to leave it completely badgeless. When people ask if it's an SS, I may say one of three things. "I have all the things an SS does"... "Nope it's a Z28" or "No it's a v6" depending on my mood.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRSITES
The SS is generally just a bodykit and suspension package, so while not authentic, a Z can immitate it pretty easily. A Dick Harrell Supercar is a 100k+ Collector's car.
LMAO!! Dick Harrell supercar?!? That **** cracks me up LOL.

As far as an SS just being a body kit your leaving out the SLP performance suspension, exaust and auburn diff. Not to mention 17" wheels and a few other simple perks. They share the same engine and start off the same but then thats it. The SS is given a new hood and spolier and a few performance upgrades that the z doesnt get. You can try and imitate it all you want but not having gone to SLP from the factory leaves you with a Z28 not matter what you do to it. That sunoco hood looks retarded IMHO.

I'd re-badge the z28 with old school stuff and call it good. I think those aftermarket monster hood scoops look ridiculously stupid on them. The bigger the scoop the dumber the look. On a dedicated race car there is a purpose. But on a z28 trying to look cool it makes me wish I was blind. The SS scoop doesnt need to be any bigger either.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this body says camaro right on the front. they may have a licence but it says camaro from VFN not GM

I highly doubt it is illegal to put Camaro on your Camaro race car for your own personel use. or Camaro SS or what ever you want to its your car and you are not selling them.
THEY HAVE THE LICENSE! They also call their hoods a "Sunoco" hood when no one else can because THEY BOUGHT THE LICENSE.

Oh I see, I guess thats why you were going to do thisbecause it is a more rare car, it's OK? You didn't even have all the parts or engine. it would be like putting Z28 emblems on a 3.8L. Now your at me???)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627200
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626122
And did I put the emblem on my car? NO! It was lame and retarded and didn't happen... You just reinforced my point, thanks!

BTW I like those corvette emblems on your wheels
Thanks, they've used similar ones on Impalas, Camaros and obviously Vettes and the flags have come to be a symbol of Chevrolet Racing so I left them on

If you were asking me if it was ok to leave the CORVETTE letters on a set of Corvette brakes you stuck on your Z or the Cobra emblem on a Cobra intake you stuck on you 5.0 GT/LX there'd be no debate. That would be fine. It's the label of a PART of a car not re-labeling the entire car.

You are trying to re-label a Z as an SS because you have SS envy, period. No matter what stupid threads you pull up, no matter how many illogical reasons you use you wish your car is something it isn't and never will be...

Put all the emblems you want on there at the end of the day when someone says, "Oh, is that an SS?" The truth will be NO, it's not and that you're just lame enough to try to get by with making it look like one, no correct that... Making it LOOK LIKE one would be hood, wheels, spoiler... All acceptable. YOU'RE TRYING TO PASS IT OFF AS THE REAL THING EITHER TO YOURSELF OR THOSE IN CONTACT WITH IT BY RE-BADGING THE CAR....

Which is RETARDED!!! SS's aren't anything that spectacular to begin with. My God, it's like you're turning a Fiero into a Ferrari and want people to believe it is really a Ferrari! You have a fast car, enjoy it and quit being so f@cking lame and hung up on trying to pass it off as something it is not
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

if the vin says Z28 leave it Z28. however the different style z28 badges look cool like the 69 badges or the z06 style badges. i wouldnt put different badges on my car if its not really what it says it is. its ur car it should only matter to you do what u want shouldnt matter what others think...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
if the vin says Z28 leave it Z28. however the different style z28 badges look cool like the 69 badges or the z06 style badges. i wouldnt put different badges on my car if its not really what it says it is. its ur car it should only matter to you do what u want shouldnt matter what others think...
The vin for SS's say z28.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't put SS emblems on my Z-28, personally I'm proud to own a Z-28 rather than an SS. Everyone knows a Z when they see one, especially one that has been modded. I am running an SS spoiler but to me it's the only type of spoiler that looks good on a camaro, as for the hood I'm going to run the Sunoco Cowl Hood and leave my factory Z-28 emblems on the car. Now I did make my third gen an SS, just to be different since they didn't make a third gen SS. It's a good looking car too. I'm never selling my 87 camaro which is why I made the conversion, I did it for myself because I like the way it looks. Be proud of the Z-28's, there the same cars but with more area to mod. I wouldn't want to swap out the hood and spoiler on a factory SS which is why I like my Z-28.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
do i keep my z looking like a v6? or do i do what the hell i want to my car and make it look better..of course......do i put z28 badges on it, because its still a z, which would look so retarded....or do i just throw ss badges on there and not give a damn?……and if anyone asks ill tell them what has been done to my car.....
So… you don't want people to think your car is a V6 but, you don't mind if they think it's an SS, huh? No offense dude but, this is the kind of attitude that makes someone a "poser." And, exactly why would it look "retarded" to have Z28 badges on a "Z28" Camaro? There are a LOT of Z28 owners on this board that would most likely disagree with you. It doesn't matter what kind of hood, spoiler, wheels you put on a Z28 it's STILL a Z28 and it's not retarded to have Z28 badges on it.

BTW, imho, the "if anyone asks I'll tell them" disclaimer is a poser's way to rationalize their actions.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Launching!

I forgot to mention that there is a pewter or silver '00+ camaro v6 near where I work. This car is sporting the 'SS ten spokes and (get this) cheap taped on z28 decals (not even the oem plastic badges!), and the standard v6 catback!!!

I've seen this car a couple of years, and luckily I never bumped into the owner (lucky for him bc he may have been embarrassed after talking with me for awhile).

So anyone feeling ashamed about their z28 (Why?) should take comfort in that there are more than a few fbody owners out there that wished their car was as capable as an ls1z28.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
LMAO!! Dick Harrell supercar?!? That **** cracks me up LOL.

As far as an SS just being a body kit your leaving out the SLP performance suspension, exaust and auburn diff. Not to mention 17" wheels and a few other simple perks. They share the same engine and start off the same but then thats it. The SS is given a new hood and spolier and a few performance upgrades that the z doesnt get. You can try and imitate it all you want but not having gone to SLP from the factory leaves you with a Z28 not matter what you do to it. That sunoco hood looks retarded IMHO.

I'd re-badge the z28 with old school stuff and call it good. I think those aftermarket monster hood scoops look ridiculously stupid on them. The bigger the scoop the dumber the look. On a dedicated race car there is a purpose. But on a z28 trying to look cool it makes me wish I was blind. The SS scoop doesnt need to be any bigger either.

x2
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

here's a question for the posers: What's the shame in having a Z28?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRANSAM75
Plus In 1969 You Could Get A Rs/ss/z28. Lets Chalk It Up T0 Heritage.
ok u could NOT get that in 69, u could get a rs/ss or a rs/z28 a regular ss, or a regular z28, vin codes are as follows
x-11 base model camaro
x-22 ss package
x-33 z28
x-77 z28
* there is NO way to depict a rs camaro by the vin #, u have to know what ur lookin for
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by markzeronine
I also say do what you want.

I completely disagree with the people that say:
"It's the same as calling a GT a Cobra"... it's not at all. A Cobra has different interior, bumpers, wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, and most importantly a different motor. It someone took the time to strip all those things off a GT Mustang and replace them with Cobra parts, I also wouldn't have a problem with them having the emblems
By the same logic, you could slap an LS6 into a Camaro and put Z06 badges on it. Hell, you could use Z06 seats, wheels, brakes, etc... right? Or better yet, an iron block LSX and you could put "Z71" decals on the Camaro instead.

Cars are BUILT with an identity, no amount of changing crap around on them makes them into something else. Those that do this stuff are POSERS.

Quick Reply: Throwing SS Badges on a Z28, wrong or right