Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corvette style rear seat delete for TAs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette style rear seat delete for TAs

Does anyone or has anyone tried to make a rear seat delete kit like the vette...You know, how the front seats sit right next to the piece covering the rear seats. Maybe the console can be molded into the kit and have a bird logo instead of the vette cross flags. Man that was hard to describe, does it make sense?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Makes sense (to me) the difficulty is going to be what to do with the hatch area, would the kit go all the way back to the back hatch area/t top well, or end at the begining of the hatch glass/fuel tank hump.
I could see it being a good thing either way, maybe a hidden storage area/place for amp(s)
Old 02-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would look kinda goofy i think in a hardtop car a vert would look pimp. notice the hard top cars don't have that yet the verts do.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

something like this?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Thats pretty cool. Do you know how much it weighs though?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to big that hatch area just goes on and on and on and on
Old 02-25-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you remove the center piece from a vette and maybe paint it to match the exterior of the car and have it work with something like steve the pirate posted?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevethepirate

something like this?
hahahaha

Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said on fbody, that looks terrible. I'd rather have the backseats, they look a lot better and are lighter I'm sure.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if someone has fiberglassed one exactly how the Vette's is., If I could get some good pics of back seat areas, maybe I can photoshop something. My car is in my parents garage right now, so I can't get pictures of mine now. Anyone wanna take some pics?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had an image floating around in my head for a long time that is a variation of this idea but it takes it to a more extreme conclusion: basically how you could pull off the true "two seater" look is to completely remove the back rear hatch glass, mold a "tonneau cover" in it's place that would extend all the way up to the middle portion of the b-pillars, and then mold a flat back window inside of the "cove" of the entire enclosure of the roof strip/b-pillar section. In order for it to look correct and still "flow" from front to back, the rear edge of the b-pillar would have to be extended rearward and slope inward and down to match the same curvature of the original hatch glass, and mold seamlessly into the tonneau cover. It's extremely difficult to put into words the image I have for this, but to give you a rough idea, think of how the roofline of a Ferrari F355 looks from the rear...

If you took care of the roof and backseat in this manner, you could do the Corvette "flush seats" look with no problems.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

holy fkking **** that sounds like a **** load of work!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

i know people arent big fans of my thing, i do enjoy it though, and ive gotten compliments from lots of people who have seen it in person. some gas station attendant last night didnt have any teeth, so i couldnt understand what he said, but the thumbs up was a good sign.

it weighs about the same as the seats did. when i had my amp mounted there, it broke it up a bit, looked nice and not as big and empty. i think im just going to get an embroidered deck mat or something to stick on there.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Im sure its more work than its worth for most people. But if you're wanting a custom look, and have the fab experience go for it.

I think that area's too big to have something like that. Even tho the seat delete kits for our cars dont look as nice as what other cars have I'd rather have that. "The look" and PITA factor arent worth it to me for this. Just my .02
Old 02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevethepirate

something like this?
Do you have anymore pics, maybe from straight on?

It does sound like a doo doo load of work, but I kinda like thesoundandthefury's idea, although I would like to keep the original hatch area and glass. I'll be working on some photoshops just to see what I can come up with.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I've had an image floating around in my head for a long time that is a variation of this idea but it takes it to a more extreme conclusion: basically how you could pull off the true "two seater" look is to completely remove the back rear hatch glass, mold a "tonneau cover" in it's place that would extend all the way up to the middle portion of the b-pillars, and then mold a flat back window inside of the "cove" of the entire enclosure of the roof strip/b-pillar section. In order for it to look correct and still "flow" from front to back, the rear edge of the b-pillar would have to be extended rearward and slope inward and down to match the same curvature of the original hatch glass, and mold seamlessly into the tonneau cover. It's extremely difficult to put into words the image I have for this, but to give you a rough idea, think of how the roofline of a Ferrari F355 looks from the rear...

If you took care of the roof and backseat in this manner, you could do the Corvette "flush seats" look with no problems.

Like so?

Old 02-26-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowBlueFormula
Like so?

That's in the ballpark, but not quite. That setup still keeps the rear backseat usable. My version would move that rear window further forward to where it was slightly recessed inside of the roof/b-pillar, and the lines you see in that pic where the rear hatch glass used to meet the roof/fenders would be molded so that it was totally seamless and looked like it was all one piece. The molded section of the roof would also follow the same contour of the original back hatch glass so that when you looked at the car from a side or quarter view it wouldn't look "chopped," if that makes sense.

See how the roof slopes backward and curves slightly inward in this pic? It would be similar to this:

Here's a pic of the rear of a C3 Corvette. About the same concept:
Old 02-26-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

IMO, if you bought a TA leave it that way.

If you want that look, buy a Corvette...things like this start to blur the line that sets the cars apart...but do whatever you want.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
If you want that look, buy a Corvette
You're kidding right? Do you honestly think people will start mistaking 4th gen F-bodies for a Corvette that hasn't been in production for 29 years if just this one facet of its appearance was changed??? It's funny: people put Corvette wheels, seats, FRC's, rear exhaust tips, brakes/calipers, gauge overlays, etc. in their 4th gens and yet you never seem to hear of people complaining "the lines between a Corvette and F-body are being blurred here."

Here's another one for ya. See this?:

Now what if everytime someone said they were thinking about buying a Ferrari, somebody ELSE said, "If you want that look, buy a Fiero...."
Old 02-26-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

./face laugh at blackhawk t/a, seriously dude, seriously.

Quick Reply: Corvette style rear seat delete for TAs