Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

PC not removing scratches - What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PC not removing scratches - What next?

I have rubbed my Fiero with the PC, orange pad, and 3M Rubbing Compound #39002 and still scratches remain. These scratches are similar to some I have on my TA that I want to remove. But I want to have the process down before I attempt on TA. After the compound, I went ahead and did the 3M polish followed by the Meguiars was. The finish is incredible. Wet, deep looking, and slick - but the scratches are still there. The 3M is the fine cut compound and they have a heavy cut. Do I need to do that with a yellow pad, or should I go straight to the Turtle Wax rubbing compound? Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Suggestions?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet sand with the 1500 then 2000 grit, polishing compound/scratch remover and wax?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

How deep are these scratches? If they go down through the paint, all the compounding and polishing in the world won't help you. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, chances are they are through the clear and either into or through the paint. Is it one spot or all over the car? Can you get some pictures of them?

-Mike
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

I have a Professional Detail shop... You can stop by if You are interested let me know. I do it all... wet-sand, buffing, polishing, touch-up.
Take care
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
How deep are these scratches? If they go down through the paint, all the compounding and polishing in the world won't help you. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, chances are they are through the clear and either into or through the paint. Is it one spot or all over the car? Can you get some pictures of them?

-Mike

You beat me to it. If they are past the clear coat then you cant really get them out. You might also want to try scratch-x it works out really good for me. You need a lot of elbow grease though.
-Brandon
Old 03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

The scratches are not thru to the paint. They look like where a cat has slip down the hood. They are very hard to feel if at all. And from a foot away, to can't really see them but they are there. I will try to get some pics tonite if that will help. I used the orange pad with moderate to heavy pressure with the 3M Fine cut compound. I worked it in at 5 on the PC until it was almost gone, then slowed down the PC to 3 1/2. The finish is not as dull as I would expect from the compounding. Am I missing something?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

How much polish are you using per section? How long are you working each area? How many passes are you making? Have you tried speed 6 using moderate pressure?

With a PC, you really have to have patience...defects won't just magically disappear. It takes time and effort.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

I am using about 6 nickel size drops per 2 x 2 section with orange pad. PC is set on 5 and for the hood I used moderate to heavy pressure, north and south strokes, followed by east and west strokes. I work it in until the compound is almost gone. This is about 15 mins. Maybe I need to repeat the process again? On the wing, I went ahead and polished it with the 3M polish thinking that would remove the rest of the scratches, and put a coat of Meguiars wax on it but the scratches are still there. The finish is incredible and I can't wait to do the TA, but I just want to make sure I am accomplishing my goal (elim scratches) with the process. Thanks for the input so far!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

GM clearcoat is relatively hard. Combine that with moderate defects, and it is possible that you're going to have to work each area multiple times.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Then that is what I will do. My menzerna IP will be here tomorrow. I will give it a shot at the scratches. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

The 39002 is probably a bit stronger than IP.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Last final desparate attempt at scratches, I hit the hood last nite with the 3M 390002, orange pad, PC set at 6 and moderate to heavy pressure pressure. No luck. Actually, it looks like I swirlled even worse, hope polishing takes that out. Some of these scratches you can feel with your finger nail. Not sure I want to attempt wet sanding, but may have no choice now. I am trying to get some body shop input now. Thanks for all the input. It has been a great learning experience.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Last final desparate attempt at scratches, I hit the hood last nite with the 3M 390002, orange pad, PC set at 6 and moderate to heavy pressure pressure. No luck. Actually, it looks like I swirlled even worse, hope polishing takes that out. Some of these scratches you can feel with your finger nail. Not sure I want to attempt wet sanding, but may have no choice now. I am trying to get some body shop input now. Thanks for all the input. It has been a great learning experience.
Rubbing compound will work better with a non orbital buffer, but be carefull not to burn through. Orbital is great for polish and wax.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Before wetsanding, get an experienced person to go over it with a rotary.

I've never had that much trouble with any finish. How many times did you go over the area?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Twice. First time with light to moderate pressure with PC on 5. Second time, moderate to heave pressure with maching on 6. That PC on 6 is a handful. Keep in mind, the car is 21 yrs old, but the paint is pretty good. the scratches have been on there awhile. It is shaking my confidence to do this. But I am in no real hurry. Except, I never drive the TA in the rain, EVER. Now, it is raining like crazy, the Fiero is 1/2 done so I am forced to drive the TA in the rain. Maybe the only time this will ever happen. BTW, I was going to do the rubbing compound w/towel only, not PC. Feel like I could do some major damage.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Can you feel these defects with your fingernails? Are your pads turning black when you polish?

As I said before, correcting serious defects may take several passes with the PC.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Some of the scratches you can feel with fingernail. And those I am not concerned about as the ones you can't feel but can see. I tried taking a pic last nite, but it doesn't show very good. Hopefully, I can get some pics in normal daylite.

As for the pads, they do not get black on them. Is that a good sign or a bad sign?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Black on the pad would have indicated a single stage paint.

Keep at it or take it to a professional.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Went over the hood again last nite w/orange pad and 3M Fine Cut compound. Although, the scratches are still there, it seems as though they are getting harder to see. At this rate it would take 3-5 more passes to remove them from clear view, but not from the surface. I put some Turtle wax Rubbing compound on one of the scratches. It did nothing for the scratch, and actually scratched the surface. Most of it come off with 3M but it is still there. Won't do that again. Got some 1500 and 2000 3M sandpaper. Going to try the wet sand on an inconspicuos scratch. Does 8 times seem normal for scratch removal?

Quick Reply: PC not removing scratches - What next?