Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has anyone ever used Eurolamps? Results?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever used Eurolamps? Results?

I've got one of my high beams out, and would like to brighten up the low beams as well as long as I'm at it. Any simple recommendations for a T/A to give off a brighter light? I'm pretty much looking for something that bolts directly in and doesn't have to deal with much wiring.

Here's one of the set I was looking at, about $180 for everything with the Xenon-Charged Blue/White True High Output Conversion kit:

eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm

Anyone use it or have recommendations?

Last edited by LawmanSS; 04-25-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work as advertised and are a snap to install, however a few days after I put them in, I went to install Silverstars (didn't like the stock bulbs) and noticed that one of the housing lenses had a nice big crack in it. Don't know if it's a heat related crack or if a rock hit it. Either way, didn't happen for 4.5 years with the stock housings. I don't know if anyone else has had anything like that happen, but just FYI.

Oh, and the housings + Silverstars are MUCH better than stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Good product for the price
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have them in yet, but I recently purchased that same "conversion kit". A couple items that I noticed...
1) The link you posted says:
Our kits come with Everything you need for easy conversion to Bulb-Type headlights...New Housings, High Performance Bulbs, Plug-in Wire Adapters, & more.
However, all you get are the new housings and the bulbs. You will be directed to your local parts store to find the wiring adaptors that you need.
2) The 4701 (high beam) housings are identical to the 4703 (low beam) housings. There is no difference in the lenses or the reflectors. So the beam pattern will be the same. This stock headlights at least have different lenses. I haven't pulled them yet, so I don't know if the reflectors are different or now.

Also, now that Eurolamps have my money, they're not responding to any emails. So make sure you ask all your questions up front.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by steele
They work as advertised and are a snap to install, however a few days after I put them in, I went to install Silverstars (didn't like the stock bulbs) and noticed that one of the housing lenses had a nice big crack in it. Don't know if it's a heat related crack or if a rock hit it. Either way, didn't happen for 4.5 years with the stock housings. I don't know if anyone else has had anything like that happen, but just FYI.
I have the same kit and the instructions caution about grinding 2-3 mm off the inner right and left hand sides of the metal retaining ring. This and uneven or over tightening of the retaining screws can cause the housing to crack.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyle_l
I don't have them in yet, but I recently purchased that same "conversion kit". A couple items that I noticed...
1) The link you posted says:

However, all you get are the new housings and the bulbs. You will be directed to your local parts store to find the wiring adaptors that you need.
2) The 4701 (high beam) housings are identical to the 4703 (low beam) housings. There is no difference in the lenses or the reflectors. So the beam pattern will be the same. This stock headlights at least have different lenses. I haven't pulled them yet, so I don't know if the reflectors are different or now.

Also, now that Eurolamps have my money, they're not responding to any emails. So make sure you ask all your questions up front.
I had the same issue regarding lighting pattern and email responses. I got concerned after I had made payment when no one would reply to my email questions but the kit arrived within 10 days. I haven't found anyone to have gotten beaten by them and generally, everyone is happy with what they received. The issue about the high beam lighting pattern is the only thing I don't like. Eurolamps told me that some low and high beams are contained within the same lens and use a common reflector and therefore have the same pattern. This is true on older two headlight cars.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Eurolamps told me that some low and high beams are contained within the same lens and use a common reflector and therefore have the same pattern. This is true on older two headlight cars.
This works on the older two headlight cars because the light bulb has two filaments that are placed in different places within the bulb. The placement of the high beam filament is different (rearward I believe), thus varying the focal point of the light ray, which changes the beam pattern.

With using the same housing for both beams, all you're doing is throwing more light to the same area, not beaming it further (and higher) down the road.

But, everyone seems to be fairly happy with them. I'll see once I get mine in.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by steele

Oh, and the housings + Silverstars are MUCH better than stock.
You didn't like the bulbs they sent or the stock bulbs that were in the car from the factory? Were they just pretty weak?

They say they will send wiring adaptors but they don't - so it's basically $180 just for the housings and the bulbs? What kind of wiring adaptors and work does this really need?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

I have these, I wasn't impressed with the Xenon bulbs they sent with the kit. The white/blue tint was nice, but it seemed like they put out less light than the factory bulbs. So I switched to Silverstars and things improved quite a bit. I haven't decided if it was worth the cost yet but I already had a low beam out so I thought I would try them. As far as adapting them to the stock wiring, the prongs for the H7 bulbs are too wide to fit directly in the factory harness. I made an adapter myself by putting a female spade connection on one end of a 3" piece of wire (14G I think). On the other end I had to cut a male spade in half (making it half as wide), which fit perfectly in the stock harness. You have to make 2 of these wires for each bulb. Taped it all up and it worked great. I was determined to not spend any more money on them so I don't know if you can buy anything like this pre-made or not.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Custom4204
You didn't like the bulbs they sent or the stock bulbs that were in the car from the factory? Were they just pretty weak?
The bulbs that came with them. Mainly because I bought them off another member here and he had ordered the yellow ones. Light output was good, though.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude screw paying 180 dollars.. i have silverstars in my stock ones....take it out...get a screw driver and stick it under the plastic ring and twist...that will break and fall off...then just grab the bulb and turn it(you have to break the seal) and the old bulb will come out...then just buy the silverstars and buy some of the copper gasket/adhesive from autozone and put that on the o-ring section...slip the bulb back in and then rub the copper stuff around the edges...mine have never came apart nor leaked and looked 10000+ times better than stock for a 45 dollar upgrade and the copper stuff is nothing like jbweld or something so if a bulb goes out and you need to replace it..it will break lose so you can do it again
Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyle_l
This works on the older two headlight cars because the light bulb has two filaments that are placed in different places within the bulb. The placement of the high beam filament is different (rearward I believe), thus varying the focal point of the light ray, which changes the beam pattern.

With using the same housing for both beams, all you're doing is throwing more light to the same area, not beaming it further (and higher) down the road.

But, everyone seems to be fairly happy with them. I'll see once I get mine in.
I see what you mean about the focal points and how the older two filament beams worked. Eurolamps took me through 3 emails to finally come up with the spin about the older twin filament beams. Never the less, I wanted something that I didn't have to glue and seal if I want to do a bulb replacement.

Someone else that had bought the kit pried the socket from the Eurolamp "high beam" housing and then glued the socket to a factory high beam housing. He was satisfied with this because it not only gave him the correct light pattern but set him up to swap bulbs anytime he wanted and even made a path for HIDs when he wanted to make that transition.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got them on special awhile back for just the housings without bulbs, and I'm using Silverstars now. They work pretty well, a lot brighter than stock. I'd still like to go to HID someday though. But at least I have housings that would make that easy now.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eurolamps is much better than the silverstar+silicone method. It's cleaner and a lot easier. I have them on my Camaro and would never, ever go back to using the silicone method.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

So it's pretty much $180 for some housings, weak bulbs that will have to be replaced by Silverstars, and supposed wiring adapters that don't even come with it?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep
Old 04-25-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you guys pulling $180 out from? It's $88 for a kit, that's left AND right. You're not including high beams, are you? Why would you even worry about upgrading highbeams that you'll rarely use? The lowbeam conversion is all that you really need, so figure $88 for the lowbeam conversion. Not sure what adapters you guys are talking about either, must be a Pontiac thing, as the Camaro was directly plug and play.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Eurolamp Conversion Kit for my low beams on the T/A. I used the Philips Bulbs and am very happy with the difference from the stock light output. I had no problems with the cracking issue and when I bought them they were not stating that harness adapters were included.

I did however, find the harness adpaters needed to mate perfecly with your stock wiring harness with out cutting it - I just have to remember where I got them at.

Please Stand By........

-Jay-
Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need an adaptor, just cut the old plugs off, splice some additional wire on, and attach the new plugs. It takes like 10 minutes, and if you converting them, you won't change back.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Didn't say you did need an adapter - but if you don't want to cut your factory harness - that's the way to go. I agree that I will never remove mine - but I also don't ever plan on selling my car.

Lot of people sell their cars then want to return them back to stock...

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever used Eurolamps? Results?