Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I get rid of the swirl marks??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get rid of the swirl marks??

I was wondering if you guys had any tips as to how to get ride of swirl marks. My car is black so they are rather apparent.

I just purchased a rotary buffer. What's the best type of wax or scratch remover to use with it?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

If you have never used a rotary buffer before, be extremely careful. You can ruin paint with one quickly.

I like to use Menzerna polishes.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

try some Zaino on your car. its works wonders on those black f bods!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rotary buffer it's really easy to mess up the paint with one of those if you aren't proficient in its use.
IMO you should take that back, and instead get a porter cable random orbit polisher, some sonus pads (blue and orange at least) and some Menzerna IP & FP, and your favorite wax/sealant, your black car will thank you
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Is there a way to prevent ruining the paint with the buffer?

What happenes exactly to ruin the paint?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

you hold it in one spot for a while and destroy the paint...the wax gets hot and sticks on the paint. imo, stick with hand pads of polish, a lot safer

Last edited by 10.9@1/4; 05-01-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

I have buffed swirls out by hand, yet it takes hours to get them out & yes, you can burn the clear coat too by hand with pressure. Use least abrasive 3m #39009 perfect-it II swril glase with minimual pressure with a porta cable #7474 with a white lake country polishing pad & blackfinishing pad. That too will take time, yet less chance of burning clear coat.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

When using the rotary, be sure to keep it moving and never use it full tilt. If its a variable rotary, use it on a low setting to get the hang of it then increase the speed slightly, and I mean slightly!

Your best bet would be to try and return it for a Porter Cable 7424. Its MUCH easier to use, and will give you some more leeway in being a newbie.

Here's whats on Meguiars site on removing swirls -

Shallow swirls can be removed using light swirl removers such as ScratchX or #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 Both of these products will safely remove light swirls and scratches from your finish without using harsh chemicals or sharp abrasives.

Light to moderate swirls can be removed using the Meguiar’s Dual-Action polisher, the appropriate Meguiar’s foam buffing pad and the correct paint cleaner or cleaner/polish.
Moderate to deep swirls will require a thorough machine cleaning using a rotary buffer, the appropriate Meguiar’s foam buffing pad and the correct paint cleaner and/or cleaner polish.

Machine cleaning and polishing paint with a rotary buffer needs to be performed by a skilled and experienced professional. Removing swirls by machine must be followed by an application of a polish and then a protective wax. If you are unsure as to whether or not the swirl in your finish can be safely removed, take your car to a professional painter or detailer and ask them for their opinion.

Some swirl marks are too deep to safely remove and attempting to do so may result in buffing through the top layer of paint.

Menzerna, Zaino, Meguiars etc all have swirl remover products to be used in conjunction with a paint cleaner/polish and wax regimen. It all depends on how bad the swirls are as to how abrasive, and what exact product you're going to need.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

From what I have learned so far, using the PC 7424 is pretty safe. The trade-off though, is it takes a long time to remove moderate scratches and swirls. Deep scratches and swirls, I am not sure you can get them out with the PC. I have been practicing on my Fiero and beginning with the TA for the past month. I have only been using orange pads and the heaviest compound is the 3M #39002. I have some yellow pads and 3M #39001 coming this week. The red on the TA really shows the scratches ands swirls in the sun. On the Fiero, I used the orange pad, 3M 39002 @ 6000 rpms with heavy pressure, still did not remove 100% of some deep scratches, but also, did not get thru the clear coat either. For DIY, stay with the PC 7424. If your paint has deep scratches and swirls, it may need the orbital, but I would let a professional handle that part. I am new at this stuff but learning everyday, so just get at it.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

You should be able to get out everything that a rotary would be able to (with the PC).. it just takes slightly longer.

The previous owner of my car 'thought' he was taking care of it by placing it under a car cover... to bad the car was really dusty when he did so.. yeah, scratch city!!

But look at her now..

(this was done with 3M 39002 and 39009 and the yellow and white pads respectively)

Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEED2SPEEDLS1
try some Zaino on your car. its works wonders on those black f bods!
I hope he was joking but I didn't see a "jk" or a smiley, so I'll go ahead and say it - Zaino does nothing for swirls. You need something with at least a light abrasive or polishing effect and Zaino is not the product for that.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shudog
I hope he was joking but I didn't see a "jk" or a smiley, so I'll go ahead and say it - Zaino does nothing for swirls. You need something with at least a light abrasive or polishing effect and Zaino is not the product for that.
I agree with you. I am a firm believer in getting out/removing the swirls, scratches, etc...I have use Z-5 before on my Camaro SS to cover up light swirls with numerous coats. Zaino ZPC-fusion will remove swirls, yet it's more abrasive than 3m #39009 perfect-it II swril remover/glaze.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidH426
I agree with you. I am a firm believer in getting out/removing the swirls, scratches, etc...I have use Z-5 before on my Camaro SS to cover up light swirls with numerous coats. Zaino ZPC-fusion will remove swirls, yet it's more abrasive than 3m #39009 perfect-it II swril remover/glaze.
Interesting - I'm going to have to check out the ZPC-Fusion as the Z5 and other products I've been buying for years give great protection and shine, but no polishing effect. Zaino is always coming out with great new products - I love their leather care....
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Talking fusion

I have used the Zaino fusion with an orange Sonus pad... then Z5

Thought I worked it in pretty good, still swirls (porter cable)

Nothing an ordinery person would see... but I can

Don't mean to hijack thread

But any suggestions?

TIA
Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try going over it again, it too me 2 tries to get the swirls to where I couldn't see them
What are you using as far as pads (I assume you're using a porter cable)
Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

It takes a lot of effort & time to get swirls out plus you have to stay in-control of swirls. You can also us 3m perfect-it II rubbing compound. Clay you car down first. I clay my 3 at least 3-4 times a year. I have buffed my Camaro SS hood for 6 hours to get swirls out & 2 days for the entire car. Once swirls are out only touch car with 100% cotton towell, wash mitt, Ca duster, Ca jelly water blade, Absorber, & for drying 200MPH "Electrical" leaf blower. That helps, yet if you drive a car swirls are going to happen i.e. sand, dirt, or other elements will produce swirls. Numerous coats of Zaino Z-2/5 with Z-6 helps too.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

WHY do we do this ?

To have one of the most beautiful cars on the road ?

Other then Corvette... just thought some one would offer a different pad suggesting... anyway thanks+
Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

www.lakecountrymfg.com
Pad application Guide.
hope this works.
http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/padappguide.html