Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

G|techniq

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G|techniq

I have some info on this stuff...wondering has anyone heard of them? They think they are pretty much the end-all to car care.

http://glosstechniq.com/

Discuss.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Here is what I was told...

Have you seen the website? The website is pretty much the whole thing. We don't have any abrasives in any of our products, we build up layers instead of take layers of paint away. Thats one of the main reasons why our coatings give cars such deep gloss and depth of colour.
Our products also do not contain any silicone. Silicone is present in almost every single car care product. They also use different names for it, like polyer.
The reason they add silicone is so that the product is easy to apply. If you see anything, not just car care products that advertise easy spray and whipe. Then that product is silicone based or contains silicone.
Why is silicone bad? Cause they eat into the laquer or paint, causing worm holes. Wormholes are only visible when looking at the surface of the paint under good lighting and from a few centimeteres away. Wormholes allow dirt to get trapped into the tiny holes, when this builds up your car will seem dull.
Lastly, when the silicone builds up afters a few years of polishing. The silisone has no place to hide anymore and will surface, this looks likes there are clouds on the surface of your paint, and there is not cure for it. Only way to fix the problem is to sand down the paint and respray.

Thats basically, why we have our company. We know what traditional polishing and waxing does to the paint. We came up with something that better than theirs and does not harm the paint.
I'm just going to tell you that must first, because some people get really offened when you tell them that their fravorite polish/wax is ruining your paint and costing you more money in the long term.

When i first started i was pretty much told the same thing i told you just above. I thought that guy was talking complete rubbish. In the end he gave me a demo of one of the first products we had (which we have put aside now because it's old technology to use), right after the demo i knew that there was nothing on the market that could even compare to it.

So has what i said above make sense? If it does i'll continue.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

More...
I know it's totally the opposite of what you have learnt, our toughest challenge is to convice customers that what we are doing is not polishing, and polishing will make the car look good but in the long term it's damaging the paint and costing you money.
When we have get cars that have heavy micro scratching, we a special technique that looks just the same as polishing, but when you have a feel of the 'compound' we use it contains no abrasives, which puzzles most people.
A typical car only has about 100 microns of paint and about 10 microns of laquer. Theres really not alot of paint for you to polish.

I understand what you mean by covering the micro scratches. We have a product that when used with a special pad. Softens the top layer of paint or laquer and then move the paint or laquer into the scratches. It really does magic and can transform a so heavily scratched black surface that it looks grey. Back to a perfect deep gloss black, while not removing any paint.

Our nano coating, also has built in scratch resistance and self cleaning properties. While permenatly bonding to the paint. It does not scratch easily because it's made of quartz which is a extremly hard substance, and it acheives self cleaning properties by minicing the lotus leaf which is hydrophobic. The nano coating is hydrophobic so when water lands on the surface of the car they product water beads and roll off the body. While rolling down towards the floor, the water beads pick up surface dirt and carry them towards floor. Keeping the surface clean.

Embedded dirt will come out with a claybar, but the danger there is that the dirt will still be on the surface of the claybar and will scratch the surface of the paint.

Our website URL is ... http://glosstechniq.com
Click on the 'auto' section for cars. We also do boats and planes. In the Photo Gallery (Portfolio) we have many pictures showing before and after.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much would something like that cost?? i didn't see pricing on their site
Old 06-04-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure on price...
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

im def interested. I would like to see price though. Seems very HIGH. idk could be wrong!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Bump...
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Id guess the price would be more than than most people here would be willing to spend.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

This keeps falling to the 3rd, 4th page...I'd like the detailing gurus to chime in here...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just want to say a few things toward this.

we build up layers instead of take layers of paint away. Thats one of the main reasons why our coatings give cars such deep gloss and depth of colour.
Detailing builds up layers as well. Especially product lines like Zaino, which is highly dependent on multiple coats of Z2/Z5. "Deep gloss and depth of color" is hardly specific to the line of product you use, and is more attributed to a blend of products and technique of application.

Why is silicone bad? Cause they eat into the laquer or paint, causing worm holes. Wormholes are only visible when looking at the surface of the paint under good lighting and from a few centimeteres away. Wormholes allow dirt to get trapped into the tiny holes, when this builds up your car will seem dull.
This is strange, because the purpose of compounding/polishing is to re-level the clear. There shouldn't be any holes after a compound/polish, nor have I EVER seen any such holes on any car. An expert should chime in on this one.

I'm just going to tell you that must first, because some people get really offened when you tell them that their fravorite polish/wax is ruining your paint and costing you more money in the long term.
I'm offended, because someone who claims that my detailing routine is damaging my paint, has no proof to testify to his claims. In fact, he seems to have a hard-on for calling out the "removing paint" process of detailing. Fact is, with proper washing, detail, and sealing work, you rarely need to do a full job down to the strip, which means no levelling of the clear coat is necessary. The people who have micromarring so bad that their black car is gray in light, are the same people who frequent their cars to wand/machine wash abuse. If you do that to you car... well, maybe you deserve it.

Originally Posted by (from the site)
If the polish process has been repeated with successively finer grit abrasives, as a professional body shop will do, a reasonable finish is possible, but will still contain defects known as machine lines, 3D effect, or swirl marks. These are most obvious on dark solid colours.
If you're getting swirl marks from a "professional body shop", chances are they meant "professional body repair shop" because any "professional" detailer is aware of what causes marring, and how best to avoid it.

Originally Posted by (from the site)
So, what is the problem with polishing cars in the normal way?
The problem with all of this is clear:
1. the top layer is now wax which is extremely soft, melts very easily and is simply not durable. Once washed (or melted) off, all the protection the wax has given the paint has gone too.
2. the polishing has reduced the amount of paint you have left. Do this too often and you have no paint left at all.
1. If durability is an issue, then a sealant is for you. Carnauba waxes can be found mixed with synthetics as well, which improve durability while adding the benefit of a wax.

2. It requires a certain discipline to polish your car. This guy makes it sound like we're taking sandpaper to our car every time we detail them. IMO, if you use the finest polish you need to without jumping the gun on abrasiveness, and fill what you can't reach with a glaze or wax, then your paint will last you several years, if not decades. Take care of your stuff.

Folks, it's no secret that the "traditional" method of detailing involves the removal of some amount of clearcoat to minimize or remove scratches. This is a fact of life, much like the fact that we all have to take a **** at least once a day. If you take care of your car's paint, you'll never have to see the abrasives of a compound. Much like if you stay away from Mexican water, you'll have a clean release at the toilet. Admittedly, it is meticulous and difficult to keep a DD/black car scratch-free, but it's an art that anyone who cares about their cars should be versed in, to some degree.

This g|techniq thing says that their method of detailing entails the repositioning of their clear coat, along with a well-bonded layer of gloss on top that repels everything, from water, to bugs, and even the kitchen sink. It also says that the layers are PERMANENT. Wow. So what happens when you scratch this new layer of gay|techniq? Another $1500 (guessing) clearcoat resto job? No thanks. I'll take my proven supplies to create the same look.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

I got more info today:

I know it's hard to believe, but we have done many experiments ourselves all have shown that silicone will cause what we call a cloudy effect.
Silicone is not a reactive substance (but i'm not sure if it is completly inert), but what normal polishing does is cutting away the top layer of paint or clearcoat. This will open up pores in the paint, because paint is sprayed onto the body in a random manner. When the pores are opened, the silicone gets under the paint. For some still unknown reason the silicone decides to surface and will cause what we call the cloudy effect. I personally think that when underneath the paint is so saturated with silicone, the silicone gets sqeezed back to the surface through the pores.

The quote is actually completely correct when it said silicone is added to a product to make it easy to apply, thats why they are added to compounds and waxes, because in their raw form they are rough and hard to spread evenly.
Compounds for example is full of abrasives, how can that be smooth? Wax is has a high viscousity, again how can that be easly applied to a smooth rippleless finish? Silicone is a cheap additive which makes them easy to apply, thats why manufactoring companies use them.

We have also painted a white panel, half with clearcoat and half without and placed various different G.Techniq coatings on each patch. The panel was placed in top of a building's roof open to the elements. The patch with clearcoat and no coating went yellow. Our nano-coating performed the best. The first week we placed the test panel on the roof there was rain for one week almost non-stop in Hong Kong. After a month the whole panel was pretty much grey. Without using any scrubbing, soap, claybar, just sprayed with water. The patch with our nano-coating returned back to almost a perfect white. The result suprised us even though we know what will happen.

I'm not sure how signnificant this is to you, but one bottle of nano-coating (30ml) costs around i think HKD10,000, and we have to produce them ourselves in factories. This shows that what we are using is completely different then polishing and waxing.

I can understand if you think what i have said is complete bullocks, because i have dealt with many customers that don't believe what we can do.
The only way i can convice them is to show them our stage one surface optimisation stage. We usually have 3-4 stages depending on the how bad we rate the surface condition. Normally just the first stage is more than enough to convice people that no-one else can offer what we do.

Lastly, our website is always a few months out of date. The basic concept is the same, but we are always improving our own products.
The website is basically talking about our 2nd generation nano-coating, just last week i got a bottle of 4th generation nano-coating for testing.
Basically our company never stands still, we come up with a product that beats all our old products, and straight away we try to improve on it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure how signnificant this is to you, but one bottle of nano-coating (30ml) costs around i think HKD10,000, and we have to produce them ourselves in factories. This shows that what we are using is completely different then polishing and waxing.
HKD 10,000 = $1,288.22 USD. Not cheap. I'll stick with my Zaino.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sveach
HKD 10,000 = $1,288.22 USD. Not cheap. I'll stick with my Zaino.

OUCH.....
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just posting something I found on Meguiar's site, regarding silicones:

18. Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?

No. In fact, automotive paints worldwide contain silicone as an ingredient to help the paint to spray and flow more smoothly.

Most of the concerns people have about silicones and products that contain silicones stem from the problems associated with them in the early 1950's. Back then, 40 and 50 years ago, if the surface wasn’t properly prepared, residual silicones on the surface or in the shop environment, could cause surface adhesion problems. The most common among them is a defect referred to Fish Eyes in the paint.

Fish Eyes are a small, circular craters that appear in the finish where the paint piles up in a circle surrounding a point on the surface that contains some type of contaminant that creates high surface tension, usually some type of wax, grease or silicone. The reason freshly sprayed paint does this is because contaminants like wax and silicone tend to create high surface tension and do not allow the freshly applied paint to stick or adhere properly. Instead of laying down flat over the top of these contaminants, the paint moves away from these contaminants, forming a ring around them that has the visual appearance of what is historically described as a "fish eye".

Knowledge of chemistry, as well as most other technologies have evolved and grown substantially since the 1950's (just look at modern cars and personal computers as two very visible, common examples of how technology has progressed). The problems painters encountered 50 years ago are more easily addressed with today's modern paint prepping chemicals, shop environments, paint additives, and most importantly, education. Back in the 1950's, there were no formal training programs available for young men and women entering the automotive repair industry. Most of the time, a person would start out at the bottom, sweeping and cleaning up, and slowly move up the ladder through knowledge gained by on-the-job training. Today there are hundreds of certified schools that specialize in formal education for the automotive industry. This includes paint manufacturers, who provide in-depth training for anyone who uses their paint systems.

Most professionals in the refinishing industry understand that a majority of the paintwork they do, day-in and day-out, is on cars that have been waxed using products that contain both wax and silicone.

Professionals in the body shop industry always perform the necessary preparation work required to insure that "fish eyes" are not a problem. This includes using special degreasers, wax and silicone removers that effectively remove these substances from the surface or chemically alter their molecular structure in such a way to insure they pose no problems. If there is ever any question or doubt about the surface to which new paint is going to be applied, painters will include a Fish Eye Eliminator into the paint, which insures a finish free from fish eyes. Interestingly enough, Fish Eye Eliminator is typically a special silicone additive.

There are many kinds of silicones available for use in car care products, the one thing all silicones have in common is they are completely inert. This means they do not react in either a negative or a positive manner with any substance they come into contact with, including your car's paint.
My interpretation is that the "craters" both g|techniq and Meguiar's referred to is a surface-adhesion problem that occurs at the PAINTING stage. Silcone is merely a lubricant, and any "build-up" you may have from it is washed when you strip your old wax/sealants.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Add, from the same site:

There are some sources that even go so far to say that silicones are harmful to paint. This is not only dishonest; it calls into question the credibility of that resource and any and all claims they make. Silicone is inert. It cannot harm paint, let alone anything else it is formulated into, or sitting on top of, especially in the form of a coating of wax.
Food for thought.