Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP: Installed Halo's-problems now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP: Installed Halo's-problems now!

Ok, the Halo's I ordered made it in today. Before I took off my old headlights everything worked fine except for the drivers side blinker was burnt out and the passenger side driving light was burnt out.

Well, I went to install the Halo's before I installed them I checked the power from the + and - wires connecting to the driving lights with a DC/AC volt reader and I got NO power from the drivers side driving light BUT it was still lit- I thought this was weird but figured it must've been a problem with the reader since it was still lit.

I got the Halo's installed and hooked up but I encountered a few problems. First, the driving lights and front blinkers no longer work. Second, the Halo ring will not light up, the bulbs will, but the ring will not. Third, the interior lights that light up the guage cluster no longer light up, however, all other interior lights work.

I already took out all the fuses to check for one that is burnt up-they are all fine. What could this be?? I really have no desire to take this to GM and pay them an arm, a leg and an assload to chase down a wire. Has anyone had a problem similar to this? If not, ever heard of it and know how to fix it?

I appreciate the time to respond and give a brother a hand
Old 06-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your parking brake is not on is it? This will stop the power from going to the driving lights, interior, etc...

Assuming it is not:

First of all, what did you hook the Halos up to? There's a postive an a negative on each of them... What did you hook them to?

I hooked mine to my Nitrous arming switch and they did NOT work at first but I had hooked them to the wrong wire (my nitrous system is a bird's nest)... SO I tested JUST the Halos by grounding the black wire and running a power wire straight from the battery to the red wire for the Halo... this told me the Halos themselves worked and my wiring was the problem...

Second, it HAS to be a fuse if your cluster is out... It may not look burnt, replace it anyways and see what happens....
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Ok thanks, I'll try that. I re-checked the fuses today and the only one that was out was the cig/assy fuse. I'll replace that and the guage fuse.

I had the Halo's wired in to the driving lights just like the "instructions" that came with it said. I had the negative wire from the Halo's hooked up to the black (ground) wire that went into the driving lights (we checked this wire with a reader to see if it was hot, it wasn't so we assumed it was the ground). We wired the positive wire on the Halo's into the blue (hot) wire on the driving lights. We checked this one with a reader as well and it made power on the drivers side (but not on the passenger side like I said in my first post). Right now they are disconnected until we chase down the problem. Thanks for the reply, anybody else feel free to chime in. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember hooking my halo's up to a blue wire. IIRC it was a brown and black wire for the parking lights. Your wiring has to be the issue.

Are you wanting to hook them up to your DRL's or your parking lights? When I ask that, I'm asking if you want them to come on when you turn your light switch to P or do you want them on as soon as you start the car?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

I want them on as soon as I start the car.

I replaced the busted fuse (cig lighter/assy) and went ahead and replaced the guage cluster fuse while I was in there (however, it wasn't broken). The fuse box I accessed was the one inside the driver's side door on the dash piece. I checked all the fuses in the 2 boxes under the hood and all the little ones looked fine-there was really no way of checking the larger fuses for the fans and what not.

The headlights work, the Halo's don't. The front blinkers and parking/driving lights still don't work either (the rear blinkers DO work though) and we replaced the bulbs up front. The fog lights are also not working. I won't be able to tell if the guage cluster works until tonite when it gets dark out.

I noticed the horn fuse and the fog light fuse are the same fuse, so I checked my horn, it worked, and I swapped that fuse out for the fog light fuse. The fog lights still didn't work and the horn still worked, suggesting it is something other than a busted fuse.

Anyways, I guess tonite I will try and hook them up into the brown and black wires and see where that gets me. Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, you have some horrific wiring issues my friend...
Old 06-08-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the advice 10.9@1/4, I'm sure that will help solve my problem...

Anyways, an update. The guage cluster still does not light up (it is just the mph, rpm and other "written" things that do not show up, all the "marker" lights show up (i.e. highbeams, water level, check engine soon, etc). I'm wondering if maybe the bulb behind it burnt out-is that a possibility or would all the markers remain off as well?

I'm going to change the bulbs in the driving lights with fresh ones, I'm thinking maybe the ones I put in are just to old from laying around in my garage.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 10.9@1/4
wow, you have some horrific wiring issues my friend...

I 2nd that, when I did my halos ive been drinking for a couple of hours and installed them with a friend(he took passanger side, I took drivers side) and we had a race to see who could get them on the fastest. Well of course I lost because I spilled a beer and had to get yelled at for 2 minutes because I waisted a beer. And I went pee 4 times but I lost by 5 minutes and I put the keys in the car and turned on the lights and they work great! Your car needs some lovin. Sorry, this was a little

Quick Reply: HELP: Installed Halo's-problems now!