Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HELP! My guage pod installation was a hack job! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! My guage pod installation was a hack job! Pics inside

I have no mechanic skills whatsoever and decided to pay $225 for a reputable performance shop to install two Sport-Comp 2 guages (trans temp guage and water coolant temperature guage) and a dual guage a-pillar pod. I didn't realize until I got to the shop that the Autometer guage pod that I bought from them were for t-top cars only. (I have a hardtop.) So, the person installing the pod had to cut off the top portion of the pod that would wrap around the t-top panel just to make it fit. The installation wasn't even decent as you'll see below.

It looks like there's an alignment problem with the a-pillar itself as the wires are visibly showing above the fuse box and the inner circle in the small vent isn't aligned with the vent itself. Also, the pod's circle isn't aligned with the vent itself.

Also, you can also see that there's a small gap between the actual a-pillar and the window rubber molding (where you can see the paint).

Here are the other pictures to show that the a-pillar pod installation wasn't even close to decent.

Please take into consideration that I didn't make a big deal out of this at the shop as these problems really didn't start bothering me until I actually took a close look at their work a day later. I'll also be talking to the shop manager about these problems so that we can hopefully work something out. Here are my questions:

What are your suggestions in getting these problems resolved? Is there an a-pillar trim (with GM part number) that I can buy to replace my factory one so that I wouldn't have to see any residual screw holes and scratch marks (if they appear after the installation is corrected)? Should I just go to a good body shop or to another performance shop to have the installation corrected? Thank you in advance for the responses.

Last edited by damon_Z; 06-11-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is to stop spending money needlesly. But your car looks cool now right?
Seriously talk to them and appeal to their human side. If you go in acting like a jerk you will be treated accordingly.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Im pretty sure your gonna need to but the proper pod for your car, if that was made for a t-top car and you have a coupe you are literally gonna HAVE to do a "hack" job.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

from my experience i say take it back ASAP.. longer you wait the more they wont give a **** anymore
Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Im pretty sure your gonna need to but the proper pod for your car, if that was made for a t-top car and you have a coupe you are literally gonna HAVE to do a "hack" job.
If you know where I can buy a full (not partial) a-pillar dual guage pod for a hardtop, then please let me know. The shop owner said that he can swap the guages out to another guage pod at no charge.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
My suggestion is to stop spending money needlesly. But your car looks cool now right?
That's a matter of opinion. The objective thing to say would be:

That's a good way to spend your money. Now, you can accurately tell how hot your car is (since the factory guage for the '99-'02 f-bodies is basically a dummy guage) and how hot your automatic transmission is (since heat is considered to be the number one killer of automatic transmissions).

The guages were a necessity, but the reason why I bought them is not the issue here.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

I think your mistake was paying somebody to do it in the first place. I installed my guage pod myself with a Ttop piece and it looks a hell of a lot better than that.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

There are dual gauge pods made specifically for the hardtops, I had one. They do not make the triple pods for hardtops. Now as far as the fitment issues go, a couple of your pics are typical of the install. The hole that covers the small window vent at the bottom of the Apillar is purposely made larger than the vent by Autometer, installer had nothing to do with that. The gap between the overlay and the apillar along the edge is typical, again Autometer did not make the pod wide enough to entirely cover that area. Now, it does look pretty shitty that they couldn't get the top edge to secure to the pillar with the push pins, that shouldn't be. Mind is tight as hell. My advice would be to scrap this t-top pod and buy the correct one.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parbreak
There are dual gauge pods made specifically for the hardtops, I had one. They do not make the triple pods for hardtops. Now as far as the fitment issues go, a couple of your pics are typical of the install. The hole that covers the small window vent at the bottom of the Apillar is purposely made larger than the vent by Autometer, installer had nothing to do with that. The gap between the overlay and the apillar along the edge is typical, again Autometer did not make the pod wide enough to entirely cover that area. Now, it does look pretty shitty that they couldn't get the top edge to secure to the pillar with the push pins, that shouldn't be. Mind is tight as hell. My advice would be to scrap this t-top pod and buy the correct one.

Bryan
parbreak
Please give me the link to where you bought your full a-pillar dual guage pod (for hardtops) from, because I couldn't find any. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

30 sec Google search:

egauges.com

Part # 12212

Bryan
parbreak

Last edited by LawmanSS; 06-11-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Stop paying people to do easy installs.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

It ain't that easy my friend, because that's the part I bought. That's only for t-top cars and I need the full a pillar dual guage pod for hardtops. There's nothing on that page for my criteria. Even the full a-pillar pods by Pro Pods are for t-top-only cars. You got me excited there.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Stop paying people to do easy installs.
Easy for you.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Out of curiousity, exactly what part was hard for you?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Out of curiousity, exactly what part was hard for you?

That's a very bad question, because if you read the first sentence of my original post, then you'll see your answer. I didn't ask for criticism. I asked for suggestions. Please answer the question or don't post at all.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by damon_Z
It ain't that easy my friend, because that's the part I bought. That's only for t-top cars and I need the full a pillar dual guage pod for hardtops. There's nothing on that page for my criteria. Even the full a-pillar pods by Pro Pods are for t-top-only cars. You got me excited there.

The page I just gave you is the part # you need #12212, that is the dual gauge pod made specifically for hardtops. I should know, I bought that specific one about 3 years ago. I have since sold it.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parbreak
The page I just gave you is the part # you need #12212, that is the dual gauge pod made specifically for hardtops. I should know, I bought that specific one about 3 years ago. I have since sold it.
I should know too, because that's exactly the part (with the same part number) that I paid $55 for. And read the description of the part number, for t-top cars only. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Part No: ATM-12212 Comments: Fits T-Top only. Made by Auto Meter.

i ran into the same problem. you need to get a 2 gauge pod and mount it to the stock pillar. its really not hard at all and it will look alot better than what that shop did
Old 06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

My fault I was looking at the wrong line:

I just pulled my invoice from 4/17/03 from RPMoutlet.com

rpmoutlet.com

Part # PRO92065

It fits the Hardtop perfectly ("and convertible"_. Now if you would to question that feel free, I 've done enough legwork for you.

Bryan

Last edited by LawmanSS; 06-11-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Part No: ATM-12212 Comments: Fits T-Top only. Made by Auto Meter.

i ran into the same problem. you need to get a 2 gauge pod and mount it to the stock pillar. its really not hard at all and it will look alot better than what that shop did
I thought about that too and I'm considering it as an option. The probably with that is, once that's installed, the rest of the a-pillar trim will be exposed and all of the screw holes and scratches caused by the original full a-pillar pod will be visible. So, I would probably have to replace my a-pillar trim as well.