Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Contacting GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Contacting GM

Not really sur where to post this, so here goes...
How would one go about getting the "express written permission of General Motors Corporation"? I am doing a t-shirt and poster that uses all the tradmarked "Trans Am" logotype, the Arrowhead emblem and "Firebird" emblem as well as the "Pontiac" logotype and the "Driving Excitement" slogan. The company that was doing it for me said they couldn't do it because all that stuff was copyrighted. Well, that didn't stop them from making my 2 year old nephew a "firebird" t-shirt. It had the same copyrighted emblems and logotype as the one they said they couldn't make. Here's a pic of the one they said they could not make. The one the already made was like that but had a pic of my car and the Logotype "Firebird" across the top. The link under the photo is to pics the poster.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/526989-little-wallpaper.html
Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Hey you bought a damn car from them, I'd say thats enough.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word Trans Am is actually owned by the SCCA.

Pontiac had to give them a % of money for every single T/A they sold.

You will not get permission to use that logo. Not from GM atleast. The SCCA won't give it up without a fee either.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't plan on selling alot of them or something I don't think it would really matter if you did. I mean if you were going to sell them throughout the nation they might get a little mad about that.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned

well if you plan on just buying it for yourself then it shouldn't be a problem, if you plan on selling them then you will run into trouble. Tell them things are slightly modify and the versions aren't copyrighted so bitch slap their asses to make the t-shirt. If you really want a good answer on what to do about the situation I can call my brother, who is a patent attorney for the gov't up in D.C. I'm sure he'll give us a good answer on the legalities
Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

I had the very same problem when trying to get a custom embroidered trophy mat for the rear deck of my T/A. Local embroidery shop wasn't going to do the logo due to copyright infringement - like GM would see this in my car and sue the snot out of them? I finally talked them into it because I added the words 'Phoenix Trans Am' under the bird - so it wasn't 'truly' the original GM logo.

I highly doubt if GM gives a rat's a$$ about someone making something custom for their car that includes one of their logos - now I could see if you were making a product and mass marketing it that they might care...

Getting permission from GM to use their logo's is a long, drawn out process that is even a PITA for aftermarket companies to go thru - let alone an individual (ask one of the sponsors that sell products using their logo's). I doubt that it would ever be granted to an individual.

If you notice, there are quite a few companies out there that sell products with the bird logo - if you pay attention you can tell who has the permission - and who does not. The companies that do not have the permission usually have the head of the bird turned the opposite direction so as to get away with selling their products. This is of course readily noticeable by anyone that is 'in the know' but some will buy the products anyway due to the fact they are usually cheaper than items from a company that has the permission to use real logos.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I just want to make one shirt and one poster. They made me one shirt already with all the emblems on it and said nothing. I'll keep trying to contact them, I wish they had a phone number.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Take it somewhere thats not totaly ****** gay
Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
Thanks guys, I just want to make one shirt and one poster. They made me one shirt already with all the emblems on it and said nothing. I'll keep trying to contact them, I wish they had a phone number.
If it is for items that are NOT for resale it usually is not a problem. Items that are for resale the General is pretty tough and will prosecute even for a couple of t-shirts.

GM's trademarks are taken care of by Equity Management. The phone number I have is a little old, 858-558-2500
Old 06-19-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, this is something im semi-worried about myself... look at my sig.
our local website is FastGM.com..... well, that GM looks very very similar to the GM logo...

is it close enough that its a issue? i donno.

on one hand, if changing the head direction of the bird is enough, then im fine.
on the other... GM probly doesnt want us associating ourselves with them... and it makes us look like a GM site.. kinda.. i guess... i donno.

in anycase, im going to make a run of tshirts with the logo... *crosses fingers*
Old 06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Take it somewhere thats not totaly ****** gay
sorry...but i just thot that was funny
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are really paranoid about this draft a letter and document SOME effort on your part to obtain / request the rights.

Chances are, it will never matter, and you will never hear from anyone at GM or otherwise. Worst case if you do, you will probably be served with a cease and desist type of letter first. If there is any real threat of legal action you could reference back to your attempt, at least, tuck it back in, and quietly stop doing what you got caught doing.

I would not be concerned in the least about this for anything on a local scale, personal use, or maybe even a car club t-shirt.

Pretty much the problem onset would be when you start making money off the logos.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

I got my dash and floor mats from Carmotorsports. They are totally AWESOME....the materials they use are the best I've seen.

The reason I say that is I talked to the owner a while back. They actually have the license for the GM logos...but they pay up in the 5 figures per year for them.

It was worth it to me to pay the extra to have the EXACT right logos...plus better quality.

What you might try if you're really paranoid or want to make more of them is see if a company like Carmotorsports will produce your design for you since they already have the license. Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrws6speed
I got my dash and floor mats from Carmotorsports. They are totally AWESOME....the materials they use are the best I've seen.

The reason I say that is I talked to the owner a while back. They actually have the license for the GM logos...but they pay up in the 5 figures per year for them.

It was worth it to me to pay the extra to have the EXACT right logos...plus better quality.

What you might try if you're really paranoid or want to make more of them is see if a company like Carmotorsports will produce your design for you since they already have the license. Just a thought.

This is what I do with my fuel rail covers, is sell them through an already established and licensed company, Afterthoughts Auto. Keeps us legal.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-20-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
yea, this is something im semi-worried about myself... look at my sig.
our local website is FastGM.com..... well, that GM looks very very similar to the GM logo...

is it close enough that its a issue? i donno.

on one hand, if changing the head direction of the bird is enough, then im fine.
on the other... GM probly doesnt want us associating ourselves with them... and it makes us look like a GM site.. kinda.. i guess... i donno.

in anycase, im going to make a run of tshirts with the logo... *crosses fingers*

thats easy to get around, just put at the bottom of your site in font size 6 letters "This site is not in any way affiliated with General Motors or any of its subsidiaries." (sp?)
Old 07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Restricted User

You do not have to get permission unless you are selling a product for money that involves there logo's. You can have things made with there logo and that is not a problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...43#post5041143

Quick Reply: Contacting GM