Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Post some pics of HID's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post some pics of HID's

My buddy has a cobra mustang with HID's and he's been trying to talk me into getting some. How do they look on a 98 - 02 camaro? Thoughts or opinions? I'd like to see some pics of what they look like before I spend the money on my 98.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my opinion (and many others) if you're going to do HID...do it right. By this, I mean do a complete retrofit with HID projectors. Don't just by a "HID conversion kit" that only includes re-based bulbs to fit into stock housings as this will most likely blind everyone on the road. If you do go this route, try to make sure that you at least get rebased D2R bulbs (the R means that the bulb has a special mask on it to make them work with reflector headlight housings).
If you do the full retrofit, I suggest using 2004 Acura TSX projectors (others have used Hella 90mm projectors, BMW e36 projectors, and C6 vette projectors), Hella/philips ballasts, 4300k philips D2S bulbs (D2S bulbs are ment for HID projectors), and an upgraded wiring harness. This is the setup I went with for my retrofit and it provides a nice bluish/white color with a sharp cutoff.
Search around this site a little, as there have been some recent threads about HID retrofits. Also look at hidplanet.com and register to read/post on the forums there, there is tons of good info there.
In terms of cost, for the full retrofit, you're probably looking at around $700 or so total and lots of time cutting and fitting the projectors in the stock headlight housings.
Here's a couple of pics, sorry they're not the greatest.

As a final note, unless you do a lot of night driving, I would spend the money elsewhere (engine or suspension), as HIDs will do nothing for you in daylight unless you have money to burn and you just want the "cool factor".
Old 07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Those look damn good. I wish someone would fab a kit for the lazy folks like me.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

I didn't do the projector mod, but after some adjustment of the focus, I'm pretty sure I'm not blinding anyone as I've gotten no complaints from any of my friends when we go driving together. Still, a retrofit zfastss did is the best way to go, that set-up looks killer.

Here's some pics, they are from a company that isn't around anymore, or maybe turned into HIDking or something, but I've had them for 2 years with no problems. They are 6000k temp and change color according to angle as you can see. They pretty much match BMWs and Benz's though, and through a nice clean white down.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zfastss
In my opinion (and many others) if you're going to do HID...do it right. By this, I mean do a complete retrofit with HID projectors. Don't just by a "HID conversion kit" that only includes re-based bulbs to fit into stock housings as this will most likely blind everyone on the road. If you do go this route, try to make sure that you at least get rebased D2R bulbs (the R means that the bulb has a special mask on it to make them work with reflector headlight housings).
If you do the full retrofit, I suggest using 2004 Acura TSX projectors (others have used Hella 90mm projectors, BMW e36 projectors, and C6 vette projectors), Hella/philips ballasts, 4300k philips D2S bulbs (D2S bulbs are ment for HID projectors), and an upgraded wiring harness. This is the setup I went with for my retrofit and it provides a nice bluish/white color with a sharp cutoff.
Search around this site a little, as there have been some recent threads about HID retrofits. Also look at hidplanet.com and register to read/post on the forums there, there is tons of good info there.
In terms of cost, for the full retrofit, you're probably looking at around $700 or so total and lots of time cutting and fitting the projectors in the stock headlight housings.
Here's a couple of pics, sorry they're not the greatest.

As a final note, unless you do a lot of night driving, I would spend the money elsewhere (engine or suspension), as HIDs will do nothing for you in daylight unless you have money to burn and you just want the "cool factor".
I like! Where did you get your projectors from? I'm getting ready to start a conversion myself, so any info would be great!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM
317indy

I did the HID retro (I have a 97) and this is a 10,000K HID kit.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

lovin the HIDs lookin to buy a pair for my car also ... 15000-20000K tho
Old 07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 317indy

I did the HID retro (I have a 97) and this is a 10,000K HID kit.

you did a retro.... can i see the pictures of the projectors....
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

317indy...where did you get those, they bitchin!

pm me with where you got um
Old 07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
317indy

Sorry not retrofitted. refitted... f-sane.com
Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
317indy

Originally Posted by sampson01
lovin the HIDs lookin to buy a pair for my car also ... 15000-20000K tho

theres no such thing... you would have no light emitted at night time...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...olor_temp2.png

1600 K: sunrise and sunset
1800 K: a candle
2800 K: tungsten lamp (ordinary household bulb)
3200 K: studio lamps, photofloods,
5000 K: A designation of D50 stands for "Daylight 5000K" and is the most common standard for professional light booths for photography, graphic arts, and other purposes.
5200 K: bright midday sun.
5500 K: average daylight, electronic flash.
6000 K: lightly overcast sky
6500 K: heavily overcast sky
8000 K: hazy sky
20000 K: deep blue clear sky
Old 07-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

then 15K sounds good hahaha ....

anything past that i believe is practically UV light

Quick Reply: Post some pics of HID's