Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

For those drying their car with a blower.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those drying their car with a blower.....

A recent thread on this idea inspired me to look around at what's out there while I was doing my shopping today. I came across a few options and I'm wondering who has experience or good/bad results with these. First, gas seems a lot more expensive than electric for comparable wind speed. This is just because of the added cost of the engine and the convenience factor if you were actually blowing leaves right? I assume an electric would be fine for this use. Also, has anyone tried a Wet/Dry vac with an optional blower? Is this just as effective or more of a pain in the *** because the end of the tube isn't as broad? I wouldn't get a wimpy one, I just ask because I also need a wet/dry vac, and noticed Sears has a Craftsmen 16 gal for $100 with a 225 mph blower which was actually harder than most of the leaf blowers (150-200mph). Any thoughts?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use the Craftsman wet/dry vac with blower. Works great for me. I use it to remove the water and get the water out of the creavices. Then use a towel for final drying.

The benefit, once you dry the car you can then vacuum it as the wet/dry vac is already there.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

+1 for wet/dry vac
Old 07-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I use a Black & Decker 200mph Leaf Blower/Sucker/Bagger... Works great for blowing leaves, will also suck them up, mulch em and bag em for you. Also drys my car off great.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a blower from a wet/dry vac. I forget what brand it is b/c its so old, but it works great.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Toro leaf blower here. Electric is lighter than gas I believe.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
I use it to remove the water and get the water out of the creavices. Then use a towel for final drying.
Is the towel really necessary? I was shooting to permanantly eliminate the towel from the equation.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get gas. After awhile the gas blowers start to shoot out a thin oil film. If you dry your car with it, oil will get all over the car.

I use an electric $29.99 Toro leaf blower from Lowe's with zero problems.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just used electric this weekend, works just like the blowers at a car wash lol, wellnot as powerfull but you get the water from all the spots it's hiding in, and you dont have to use a towel thank god...i first used a squeegy (tblade, windshield wiper blade, etc.) to get the big amounts of water off, then used the blower...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I use a Black & Decker 200mph Leaf Blower/Sucker/Bagger... Works great for blowing leaves, will also suck them up, mulch em and bag em for you. Also drys my car off great.
I have one of those ---but I don't use it on my car
Old 07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Electric leaf blower. A gas leaf blower has a lot more things to go wrong with it, and its one more thing you'll have to tinker with and maintain.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always thought it was because of the gas blower's oily/gassy residue that noone used them on cars. Gas is definitely the way to go for use on your lawn.... I would hate carrying around 200+ ft. worth of extension cord...
Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
Is the towel really necessary? I was shooting to permanantly eliminate the towel from the equation.

I just use the towel to get the last few spots of water off. I could continue with the blower but I use the towel to get finish the outside then use it on eht doors jambs and such.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

I find it so much easier to blow my car off with the air hose since I wash my car in my garage.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Launching!

hmmm... maybe I'm the only one that uses a gas blower :shrug: I haven't ever had any oil coming from the blower so I'll continue to use it, but I don't use it as a primary anymore. I noticed that the heat of the air was drying out the water as it blew it off, I went back to using a chamois and just use the blower to get water in cracks and crevices and off my tires and rims. I originally used it the other way around to just wipe up spots that dried quicker than other's

Those of you that only use a blower to dry off your car take a closer look and you might find that it doesn't make the car water spot free all the time. I know I will come out after a couple hours and still see water drips coming from places..... just my .02
Old 07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works great for the car. So far, I only use it for the SS.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I guess since electric is the way to go anyway, I'll probably grab the Craftsmen Wet/Dry/Blower model. With one of those, the "blower" setting uses clean air right? It's not like reverse for the vacuum and blowing all the crap back out? That would be lousy.

I may check what Lowe's is offering too, but I gotta get something. I hate waterspots and swirl marks, and one of the worst things for me is what a water trap the hatch area is on these cars. I'm sure you've all been there....you wash the car, it looks SPECTACULAR, so you think "Might as well take off the T's and go pimp it". No matter how many hours later it is the second you open the hatch to put the T's away "WHOOOSH" out comes all the water into the back of the car and all over the bumper. How infuriating. Hopefully this method blasts it all out.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

+3 for the shop vac blower. Mine is a Craftsman, and the top comes off, attach the tubing and it works just like a reg. leaf blower. I do take the blower housing apart and clean it out periodically, lotsa stuff gets stuck in there.

ALWAYS point the blower away from the car when you start it!!!!! put your hand in front of the outlet when you hit the switch and you will know what I'm saying, usually a few pebbles come shooting out of mine at startup !!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

That is exactly what I use... I also have a combo wet/dry vac and blower but I don't use it on the car... the blower that is... suppose I could though.

Quick Reply: For those drying their car with a blower.....