Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

best way to clean undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best way to clean undercarriage?

I just got another 3rd gen (88 GTA), and i want to check for leaks, but the undercarriage is an absolute greasy mess.

what is the best way to clean the underside of the car? i hate drive through carwashes with a passion, cuz i'm paranoid about them ******* **** up. I do not have readily available access to a lift, so hosing it down with a powerwasher isnt really an option. i'm thinking my best option is to go to one of those coin operated car washes and bring my car ramps so i can spray under it with the degreaser mode?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually was in the same position as you. I jacked my car up and put it on Jackstands, and removed the wheels. I was able to get a powerwasher under there, while laying on my side. It worked out pretty damn well and got all the grim and road debris off the underside of the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

man thats an accident waiting to happen, just go to a local mechanic shop and ask them how they will charge u to clean the undercarriage, my dads friend owns a shop and they charge people like 10-15 bucks to do it.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
man thats an accident waiting to happen, just go to a local mechanic shop and ask them how they will charge u to clean the undercarriage, my dads friend owns a shop and they charge people like 10-15 bucks to do it.
How? I wasnt under the car, I had to lay on my side to and go at it from an angle. The jack stands were supporting the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by osvaldo
how is that an accident waiting to happen? sure at least 50% of the people on this board have jackstands and gone under their car to do something... do you change your own oil?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
how is that an accident waiting to happen? sure at least 50% of the people on this board have jackstands and gone under their car to do something... do you change your own oil?
lol, I had my Mustang fall on me.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i'm concerned about with the powerwasher is damage to electrical components from the water pressure. is this a realistic concern?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
the only thing i'm concerned about with the powerwasher is damage to electrical components from the water pressure. is this a realistic concern?
No its not really a big concern, just try not to directly spray any electrical stuff and you should be fine.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you do have to be careful when working underneath.. especially if there are jackasses around... i was doing the exaust on my 88 gmc jimmy and had the thing sky hi (had 4 jackstands raised to the max).. i could seriosly sit up underneath it.. then my fat jackass neighbor (old neighbor) comes over and leans on the thing while he is talking to me and the jacks actually start to tip over... i roll out and he stops leaning on it and says "oops" .. so always use caution

Quick Reply: best way to clean undercarriage?