Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Brake-Lights in Firebird housing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LED Brake-Lights in Firebird housing...

I'm looking to eventually get almost every bulb in my car switched over to LED's and the one I am having trouble with are the brake lights. I could have sworn I read on here about the difference between red and white LED's along with some pics to back things up. I also remember reading about the issue of daytime and the lights being difficult to see. The last thing I want to have a problem with is someone not seeing my brake lights, but with a lot of the interestinh designs I see...I'm willing to try things out.

The main question is....do you go red or white in the LS1 firebird housing? Also, how is the difference between low power when the headlights are on compared to the light output when applying the brakes?

Thanks. If I get some decent answers then I will probably guinea pig myself and let everyone know the results.

-Brian
Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red LED's give the light a more red look through the plastic. As far as I'm concered the LED towers dont generate enough output to see anything during the day. If no one posts pics theres plenty of conversation on this if you search.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

The stock bulbs aren't colored red, so I don't see why LEDs would have to be.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you go with white LEDs the tail lights will look more orange and if you go with red LEDs they will look deep red. If it were me I would go with red
Old 10-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I dont have experience to back it up, but I've read on a vendor's site that since the red lens blocks all light except red and Red LEDs only produce Red (unlike a red bulb which is coated red), the Red LEDs will shine better than the white ones (which will have a portion of their light blocked, same logic for Amber LEDs and Amber lenses). Like I said, I have no experience with it, but it does make sense (I remeber some light dynamics from school...its been a while). Anyone wanna do a comparison?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have leds in my sidemarkers, and yes if you put a white LED in say a red housing, it will look kinda pink. Put the red one in, and it looks perfect. Always put the same color led behind whatever color the cover is.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like I have a good idea of what I want to do and which color to go with. Thanks for the help and I will post pics of my results when I go ahead and do this mod. Btw, any comment on the difference in light intensity between the nighttime light and when the brakes are applied? I want to make sure its a noticable difference in output.

BTW, is the search function broken or something? I tried a bunch of times to run generic searches but it comes back with it not finding anything.

-Brian
Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen a picture of a Camaro with the brake lights on in the day and it was a lot dimmer than the regular bulbs, like by 1/2.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried to do the LED conversion also on my tail lights. So far ive failed everytime I cant get it to be the same brightness as bulbs. The problem is LED's are directional and our bulbs use reflectors to send out light
Old 10-13-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Which type of LED's were you using? I've had very good success in the reverse lamp housings with 18 watt LED towers so I just would like to know which ones you are using so I stay away.

-brian
Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I thought about doing this with a massive amount of LEDs pointing straight back towards the viewer. LEDs dont have much variance between their minimum voltage and maximum voltage, so it's not very easy or practical to try and "dim" them. What I would do if I ever got around to it, would be make the grid for each light and space them. So when the brake is hit, all of the LEDs light up. When its just normal running lights/etc, only every other LED would stay lit. here is a diagram:

Normal running lights, half brightness like you're driving down the road with the lights on:

Brakes depressed

Obviously they would be close together, not spaced out so much like they are in the diagrams. This is just an example.

I think this would work really well, and one day I will do it in my TA if I get a lot of free time. Personally I think the LED towers are a total waste of money, and a really bad substitute for something done right like above.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evilbadz
I thought about doing this with a massive amount of LEDs pointing straight back towards the viewer. LEDs dont have much variance between their minimum voltage and maximum voltage, so it's not very easy or practical to try and "dim" them. What I would do if I ever got around to it, would be make the grid for each light and space them. So when the brake is hit, all of the LEDs light up. When its just normal running lights/etc, only every other LED would stay lit. I think this would work really well, and one day I will do it in my TA if I get a lot of free time. Personally I think the LED towers are a total waste of money, and a really bad substitute for something done right like above.
I've been thinking the exact same thing for a few months now. The only thing keeping me from doing it too is time and money
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Restricted User

hmm ive been interested in seeing something differernt in the LS1 bird brake housings but havent got to it either...i want to put LED's in there, and dont care for daytime brightness but i do know they will be bright at night when i turn the lights on, someone do this and post pics already!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Sounds like I have a good idea of what I want to do and which color to go with. Thanks for the help and I will post pics of my results when I go ahead and do this mod. Btw, any comment on the difference in light intensity between the nighttime light and when the brakes are applied? I want to make sure its a noticable difference in output.

BTW, is the search function broken or something? I tried a bunch of times to run generic searches but it comes back with it not finding anything.

-Brian

Brian,
Hurry up and post pics so I can do mine. I want you to do all the R & D and let me reap the benefits I'm in the middle of trying out different LED's for all the locations on the exterior. I will have the results in a week or two.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

I did not bite the bullet yet on trying LED towers as brake lights but I may just be cheap and pull out the two towers I have and throw them into one housing to compare. I am actually not too worried about the lights when its dark, but in the daytime...I dunno. I think I should have some time come Sunday to give this a shot.

I got done the map lights and courtesy lights (came out great), but I wasn't thrilled with the 194 LED I tossed into the license plate light. If I give this a try on Sunday I will def post pics. The only ones left on the exterior are the two rear corner lights, brake lights, and third brake light lamps.

-Brian