Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

water under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water under the hood?

I have an 01 WS.6. May I powerwash under the hood or am I risking anything or is there something that should not get wet. I am talking about using the power washer at a do-it-yourself car-wash. Also, can I pull in and do it, or will teh "cold" water on my "hot" motor damage/warp/crack anything?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it. The cold water on your hot block can possibly crack it. If you need to clean the engine, let it cool, then use a good engine degreaser/cleaner like Gunk or Simple Green, then CD2 to shine it up.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Okay, so let her cool for a few hrs and then spray it down with water. I am scared of simple green and other stuff as I had trouble with them corroding stuff under the hood on my 5.0. I was just going to use Dawn dishwashing soap and a brush (not metal) of some sort.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Underneath your intake manifold the valley cover has two recesses that has the two knock sensors screwed in there.

Those recesses are are about 3 inches deep. Water is going to pool in those recesses and your knock sensors WILL corrode (completely rust like crazy)

That's the worst thing....

The "Appearance hall of fame" sticky up top has a lot of info on washing an LSx
Old 12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Underneath your intake manifold the valley cover has two recesses that has the two knock sensors screwed in there.

Those recesses are are about 3 inches deep. Water is going to pool in those recesses and your knock sensors WILL corrode (completely rust like crazy)

That's the worst thing....

The "Appearance hall of fame" sticky up top has a lot of info on washing an LSx
HOLY CRAP! really really glad I didnt break down and fully do it yet, I will wash with a wet rag prolly and just rub stuff down with it under the hood
Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I powerwash my engine bay, and have for 6 years since I got the car. I have never had any problems with rust, warping or water puddling.

I go to the do it yourself carwash, there water is hot not cold.

I open the hood, power wash woith soapy water and close the hood and let it rest on the latch. Wash the rest of the car, rinse etc etc. Then comeback to under the hood and rinse. The soap and heat from the motor will loosen and break up grim etc.

I havent had a single problem.
If you think about, if the motor wasnt suppose to get wet, or get cold water on it. What happens when you drive it in the rain and cold water splashes on the hot motor

The electrical connectors are moisture resistent.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blown 346
I powerwash my engine bay, and have for 6 years since I got the car. I have never had any problems with rust, warping or water puddling.

I go to the do it yourself carwash, there water is hot not cold.

I open the hood, power wash woith soapy water and close the hood and let it rest on the latch. Wash the rest of the car, rinse etc etc. Then comeback to under the hood and rinse. The soap and heat from the motor will loosen and break up grim etc.

I havent had a single problem.
If you think about, if the motor wasnt suppose to get wet, or get cold water on it. What happens when you drive it in the rain and cold water splashes on the hot motor

The electrical connectors are moisture resistent.

I've washed my LS1 a time since i bought it. Ive washed my step dads LT1 multiple times.. and I washed my V6 many, many times.

Never had any problems with water, even on the LT1! We just use this green stuff he gets from his work, spray it on.. wait a few minutes, and then either power wash or just rinse it off with the hose. Takes like 15 minutes max.. AFter that, we run the car with the hood open, and let the remaining water steam out, after all the water is gone and the engine is cooled down, just take armor all and wipe down any plastic in the engine bay, and we just take windex and wipe down any remaining visible grim thats on the hood/block, or non-plastic things in the engine bay.

Also, we cover up the PCM, and any other wires with plastic wrap, or a plastic bag. Just don't rush and there wont be a problem. After all... it's just water!!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Ive washed by engine only TWO times since Ive own it. The first time was done thoroughly and finished up by hand. The second one was basically a quickie. I always maintain it by hand and that way I keep it looking great. If you forget about it for a long time then you will have to work really hard to get it clean. If you however take the time to hand clean it at every wash it is a lot easier.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just so yall know.... Josh is 100% right. Pressure washing the engine, is a stupid idea. And as he said, your knock sensors can, and will take a **** if water sits in there long enough.

A little soap and water, with a very light spray is fine. Stay away from the intake manifold! Refer to the sticky up top.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend simple green either. It will do wonder things to your aluminum . If the engine bay is BAD, it's going to take some work... Just don't go crazy with the pressure washer. The engine was designed to deal with water. That doesn't mean it was designed to withstand high PSI blasts in concentrated areas...

Quick Reply: water under the hood?