Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Leather seat questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seat questions

I got a few questions if anyone could help me out please

1) am I going to need hog rings and pliers to install new factory leather in my 01 SS?
2) WHERE can I get some new foam cushions? GM apparently discontinued them
3)Anyone ever install seat warmers in their seats? Any successes, failures, product recommendations, methods, or alternatives?

Thanks
Cullen
Old 01-22-2007, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy

1) am I going to need hog rings and pliers to install new factory leather in my 01 SS?
3)Anyone ever install seat warmers in their seats? Any successes, failures, product recommendations, methods, or alternatives?

Thanks
Cullen
You will have to go thru a seat apolsteror(sp) for the cushions if they are discontinued.

My buddy and I installed some in his Denali. It was fairy easy. Out of 1 thru 10. I would say 5. He bought his off of Ebay. They work great. When buying just make sur eto ask what temperature the bladders get too. 100 degrees might seem hot but it isnt once the heat goes thru leather, your clothes to you.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy

Thanks
Cullen

yes you wil need hog rings and pliers. have you done anything like this before?

what happened to the foam from your seats? if they are just torn and missing chunks it is not to hard to repair them.

seat warmers are easy if you already have the material off your seats anyway, just make sure they dont get to hot/cold.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95greenbird
yes you wil need hog rings and pliers. have you done anything like this before?

what happened to the foam from your seats? if they are just torn and missing chunks it is not to hard to repair them.

seat warmers are easy if you already have the material off your seats anyway, just make sure they dont get to hot/cold.
I have taken the back covers of some lexus seats to fix the motors that is about it. I was looking at the design of the replacement GM seat covers I bought and it looks pretty easy, I just didn't know if I could reuse the old hog rings or what not. The foam in the bottom of my drivers seat looks a little collapsed at 42k miles. Almost like a sagging effect. I figured with some new seat covers it would be good to get some new foam to get some of that elasticity back. I'm afraid that with the broken in foam, the new seat covers won't look right or might get wrinkles in them. Maybe I'm a hypocondriac too. As far as the seat warmers, I was thinking the same thing: just do that while I have the covers off. Any idea on the foam? Should I just go to upolstry shop or try to find someone on here with a brand new set?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the foam should not be wore out yet, more than likely the spring system gm uses for our cars is cutting through the bottom of the foam. have an upholstry shop look at them. or check yourself and if that is the problem you can glue jute padding to the bottom of the foam to prevent the wire from cutting into it. If you are still unsure just snap some pics and pm me or put them on this thread.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll do that, thanks for the advice. I'm going to get cracking on in here in the next couple of weeks, I'll post up and shoot you a PM! Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Where did you get the replacement covers from?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually bought them off of a another member on here, kpowr82
I posted up in the WTB section and had a response in a day. I know softskin, catskinz, leather seats.com and fbodymotorsports.com have some but I just wanted a nice set nothing crazy, I hope they look nice when I get them on there
Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will need new hog rings because the old ones will be too bent up to use. You can get those at an upholstery supply shop. As for the foam I'm not sure where you can get it but if you ask a supply shop they might be able to help find some. I know the foam on my seats is wore out. The foam wears out after getting in and out happens pretty quick. If you feel like you are sinking down then that's different but if it's the same area that I see worn on others then its just from us getting in and out of the car

Here is a supply shop maybe they can help you out. interiorsupply.com or larrydennis.com

both companies are pretty big and should be able to tell you if they can get the foam or other materials you need
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh wow thanks for the contacts! I'm going to try them for sure! I haven't found any place else to contact yet so its gotta be better than what I have now! Yeah my seat is hard as a rock, it doesn't give, it's just like well....there isn't any foam.