Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

VFN Customer Appreciation Gallery

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone buy (or have pics of) the 2" cowl hood? I see the Sunoco is the hood of choice, and I'm considering it, but would like to see the 2".
Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
The hood bumper is all the way down and it was adjusted by a body shop and they said it was the best they could do

The hood actually doesnt touch in the front right bumper and if i push it down it looks fine but wont go down without pressure.
you have a terrible body shop man. Try to raise the back of the hood on the passenger side. It should go up. If it doesn't, loosen all your bolts and make the hood go up in the back and up on the left.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well, this is when the bumper is all the way down which is where the hood needs to be to have it line up with the headlight cover. The problem is, that if you lowered the hood anymore the middle nose would be to far down. The hood actually seems to be bowed and not have the proper lines to fit the body. So I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect or what.

I know they screwed around with it for awhile and couldn't get it, and Ive looked at it and I know Roger has seen pics and it seems to just not have the right shape. Maybe there is some special trick people use but at the moment I don't know what to do.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, this is when the bumper is all the way down which is where the hood needs to be to have it line up with the headlight cover. The problem is, that if you lowered the hood anymore the middle nose would be to far down. The hood actually seems to be bowed and not have the proper lines to fit the body. So I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect or what.

I know they screwed around with it for awhile and couldn't get it, and Ive looked at it and I know Roger has seen pics and it seems to just not have the right shape. Maybe there is some special trick people use but at the moment I don't know what to do.
Yeah they all look like that. You really need to just play with it for a few hours. It's all trial and error, but when you get it just right, it will look really friggin good. In truth, your just about there, you only need to play with it a little bit more.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

So what would you recommend to get that little extra gone?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

i sent them a pm an hour ago but after finding this thread my questions are answered. ill be ordering a 2 inch cowl beg. of feb i jsut need to decide if i want the center line or not
Old 09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

So what would you recommend to get that little extra gone?
I'm not an expert first and for-most. I would raise up your hood bumpers on your front bumper first, then I would make sure my hinges are notched out properly to allow the hood to move up,down,left and right. I think what you need to try and do is move the hood back a little bit and raise it up in the back a little bit. You really should have a friend help you out, because at one point you will need to have some pressure placed on the hood to keep it in position while you tighten the bolts down.

It's really a game of cat and mouse. When you adjust one part, another will get messed up. So what you need to do is just keep slowly adjusting, and checking after each little adjustment. If you lived by me I would help you out, but your kinda far

At any rate, you can call up VFN and speak with one of the guys, I'm sure they will be willing to guide you.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I wish yall were closer haha, buttt no such luck sadly. I will probably give VFN a call and maybe email them some pics and see what they recommend. I tried the adjusting myself when I first put the hood on and I could get the raise to go away but then my headlights would not open So I guess we shall just have to keep trying!

I love the hood though
Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really love to have the Sunoco for my 00 Z but $$$ is always an issue. I'm near D.C. so a good and dependable paint and body shop here would charge an arm and a leg to prep and paint it.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Teching In

all of those cars are awesome!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea I wish yall were closer haha, buttt no such luck sadly. I will probably give VFN a call and maybe email them some pics and see what they recommend. I tried the adjusting myself when I first put the hood on and I could get the raise to go away but then my headlights would not open So I guess we shall just have to keep trying!

I love the hood though
Try taking a look at this. Might help you out!

Align a Hood
Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Beautiful, thats a great writeup! I may have to give it a whirl when i go back home for break where I have all my tools. Its just a pain that it wasnt perfect when I got it back from the body shop

The thing I have been looking at though is to get the corners to go down the center nose of the hood would have to go down. And its already below where it should be I believe and the areas near the headlight covers its already almost below in that area almost as if the hood is a little bowed.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Teching In

They told me up front 6-8 weeks for my Sunoco.. Let me tell ya.. the wait sucked but just like they said on week 8 it hit the door.. Took a little work prepping and sanding gaps but looks and fits great.

VERY happy with my hood...

Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of paintjob should I get on my 93-97 sunoco hood? I thought about getting the cowl flat black, or getting the sides of the cowl flat black, i just wanted a little accent on it..
Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crows93Z
What kind of paintjob should I get on my 93-97 sunoco hood? I thought about getting the cowl flat black, or getting the sides of the cowl flat black, i just wanted a little accent on it..
I would just get it body color and then add vinyl stripe/accents. This way if you change your mind (like I did) it is an easy fix.

Here's my hood body color:

Then I added black stripes with a silver outline:

Looked good but didn't match the rest of the car:

SO, I replaced with just satin side stripes:

Need better pics but it matches the car's "racy" them so much better...

Weirdest part is the first stripes looked GREAT in pics, not as good in person. The second set is the opposite. All the more reason to go with vinyl so you can change it if it is not what you expected...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Try taking a look at this. Might help you out!

Align a Hood

Thank you! Haven't had time to try adjusting mine yet but this will point me in the right direction. I put some pics of the still unpainted hood about 2 pages back. My paint money just went towards an LS6 intake.....
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

My stock hood struts seem to be damaging my Sunoco hood, is there a softer strut i could use? Like the SS hood struts?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
damn, that looks good. think it'd look good on red?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

Need better pics but it matches the car's "racy" them so much better...

Wow looks AWSOME, as always your car looks fantastic nice work man!!

Quick Reply: VFN Customer Appreciation Gallery