Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removed my side molding tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed my side molding tonight

And I ran into a bit of an issue. I had no major problems other than the passenger fender piece. When I got it off, I could tell something was different from the others. The adhesive looked much wider and thicker... so I sprayed it with some Goo Gone and went to work on the rest of the molding on the passenger side. When I went to try to remove the adhesive on the fender, I could not get it off and I still can't. I sprayed so much Goo Gone on that thing and can't get it off at all. I can rub little bits off at a time but my thumb is so sore right now anyway. I tried WD-40 and that didn't work either.

Any ideas? I was thinking of trying a plastic razor blade or plastic putty knife to scrape it off but I don't want to scratch my paint. Any other solvents I should try?

I'm starting to think the car may have been in a minor accident at some point. The place on the passenger side where the front bumper and fender come together is popped outwards a bit. It's noticable compared to the driver's side. And now this side molding thing worries me even more. It's not like it's a bit deal but I'm really pissed because everything came off fine except for this one ******* piece.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

did you try to heat it up with a heat gun??? it might be hard and needs to be softened up and then spray goo gone on it.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

yea try a hair dryer and use a towel (to save your fingers from any further damage) and rub the **** out of it.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

use ur other thumb, after heating it up, and roll the adhesive off the body.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm forgot the hair dryer method... I didn't have one last night anyway and I don't think there's a heat gun in my grandfather's shop. I'll try that tonight if the rain stops... supposed to rain all freaking day.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

WD40 worked well on my car... only took the blisters on my thumbs like 4 days to heal lol
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

3m adhesive remover
Old 03-15-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried Goo Gone and WD-40 and it doesn't work on this section. The adhesive is something different from the rest. Goo Gone worked for the other pieces but not this.