Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How To Use Vht Niteshade ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Use Vht Niteshade ?

Hey guys i just got my cans of VHT Niteshade paint in and im looking for the best way to paint my side markers. Not sure of what grit to use and what kind of clear coat as well. A ny info would be great i don't have a cpu i use the one at work so i am limited to search due to time. if anyone could respond here with the info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

give me 1 min and Ill get u the thread I responded to a few weeks ago regarding this.

Jason
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/718194-painting-side-markers-trans-am.html

There ya go! That should do ya nicely. Torched had the same questions and there are the answers as well as some other links in there for help! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck its really easy just take your time and do it right.

Jason
Old 06-18-2007, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt do any sanding on my side or back lights. and they turned out great. i just put on a lot of really light coats. but if u wanna do the sandin i think 220 is the way to go!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

The main purpose with the sanding is really to get the DOT lettering off and get a nice smooth surface. Alot of people do this mod even when not using the VHT simply to make it look cleaner. I would recommend it

Jason
Old 06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. i was not sure on the sanding process and what grit to go with. now i am going to use 800 for letters then 1500 followed by 2000 and good wash and dry. and several thin coats. followed by a clear. which leads me to my next question?
WHAT KIND OF CLEAR DO I USE ANY IN PARTICULAR? Thanks again guys for your help. as soon as my girl sets up her cpu at my house going to post alot if pics. alot of peeps have been asking what it looks like. i would like the ls1tech.com rating slash opinion of my car lol.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Any automotive clear coat will work fine. I just picked up a small spray can from Autozone for a couple bucks and that worked wonders. Those grits should be fine and you will be very pleased with the results I believe

Let me know if ya got any more questions!

Jason
Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/447719-vht-nite-shades-write-up-installation-preparation.html

Did a little searching of some of my old threads and here is the write up I used. Worked great for me. If ya have any more direct questions ask away!

Jason
Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Thank you F-117HWK for your time greatly appreciated. always have success with question or problems here. i got the avs covers for the tail lights and the black out kit from Afterthoughs Auto. the vht will be for the side markers front and rear. the car is artic white with dark tint and the complete blackout kit this should complement it well. thanks again for your time. hope i can post those pics as soon as i can.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch those covers. They have been known to come off & melt your stock light housing. I opted in doin my entire tail section in VHT instead of the covers. I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

I would second this thought as I have heard the same thing. Although if you want something u can easily take on and off you gotta go with the covers.

Jason
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I've had the front out kit on the front for a year now and they did change shape due to heat from the bulbs. but still look good its hard to notice. the avs covers are awesome easy to put on and take off and look great. I have finished the vht side marker project lastnight. i let them dry over night because the first clear i used turned them white. needless to say i was very pissed by this. i did alot of prep work. so i re-sanded all of them so they all have evan coates. the covers are very shinny without clear but need and want some protection for them. picking up the duplicolor clear on lunch. any tips for the clear coat process of this project. they look really good don't want to f them up. and again thank you for the tips and advice. can't wait to see them on the car later today. Big Mike u recommended the duplicolor clear correct? if so any tips man i really want this to come out awesome. i'm alomost there damn it .
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

The first coat of clear u use is gonna looks all cloudy at first. I was freaking out thinking they had been ruined but it clears out you just have to give it time and follow the directions in that write up I posted earlier. I think i also wet-sanded the VHT before the clear and that got some of the small little bumps off before the clear. And yes you deff wanted to let them cure COMPLETLY before doing the clear. They should be nice and shiny and totally dry, then clear, will look ugly but slowyl clear up and presto; beauty.

Jason
Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I used the Dupli-color Truck/SUV clear coat. Never had a issue. My clear never looked cloudy. It shined from the moment it hit the VHT. Hell I haven't even wet sanded mine yet & they look great. Been on for about a year sittin outside year round & no fading or anything.

Noir has the BEST VHT write up on the board period. Thats the one I used & it's in a sticky also.

Link to Noirs write up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447719
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Ok. so what clear did u use F-117HWK other than the dupli-color. So what i'm asking is will the duplicolor cloud up apon application. this really worries me working in a body shop i don't see this much. seeing this means something is wrong or a chemical reaction of some kind which is never good for the project. also u said sanding the vht first i hit it before final coat with 2000 and it really dulled it out. how important is the sanding before i clear. yes or no to sanding before clearing. is this a must or just another step some choose to do. what grit should i use after i clear to sand out imperfections?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Mine deff clouded up but then cleared as it dried and has been perfect for over 4months so Im happy with the steps I used. Umm its really just a personal step and it did dull mine but the clear brought the shine right back although with the wet sand then wipe it off it wasnt too dull. You can probably leave that step out without any problem as I know alot of people who have not sanded and theirs turned out fine. I'm not sure which clear it was, I would have to look when I get home from work later, but I do know I got it at either Autozone or Advanced Auto. Ill let ya know the brand for sure later tonight. Light coats is the key for the clear I believe; I know I did a few then let dry overnight and the next morning I couldn't have been happier. Also I dont think I sanded the clear, just the VHT.

Jason
Old 06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

heres mine tinted covers i made.

they look factory i'll see if i can get some close up pics.
Attached Thumbnails How To Use Vht Niteshade ?-my-car-garage.jpg   How To Use Vht Niteshade ?-22.jpg  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't take any step by step pics of mine since I used Noirs write up, but here is what I got. No sanding on the VHT or the clear. Hell I just washed the stock lens & then shot it with 3 light coats of VHT & 5 light coats of clear. Never had an issue with not being able to see them at night either.

good shot of side markers(you can still see the original color with sunlight directly on them)

decent shot of tails & third brake light(good shot of side markers also without direct light on them)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Looks great Mike.

Jason
Old 06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

OK. Thats looks very good Mike. Now on mine they are dark no matter what kind of light is hitting them. they are very dark in fact the light still coms thru though which is good still going to get brighter bulbs as well. there are a few bumps on the markers but every time i sand the vht gets to dull and i take a step back. so i am going to clear them after work in about 2 1/2 hours or so. thinking like 3-5 coats of clear duplicolor. sound good???