Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving me insane

ive got a 2002 burgandy camaro... i detail the **** out of it... waxing it every few weeks to once a month.... the rock chips in the nose, lower hood, and mirrors are getting ridiculous.... everytime i wax it i get white spots.... from the little nicks... they just fill with wax... **** is starting to agrivate the hell out of me... any idea or thoughts? i dont want to repaint the whole damn car ... i just had the hood n nose repainted when i bought my cowl... and a year later its demolished.... its not only them spots there several smaller spots just the hood nose n mirrors are what get hit the most..... my buddy has a friend who paints cars n ****.... and he flat blacked his camaro for him... **** dont look bad... but he said he can do mine for just the paint cost... cause theres not as many steps involved like in a regular paint..... i dono... someone save me here
Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try using a scratch filler compound with a buffer, make sure u approach it correctly tho, u may end up making things worse
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had/have rock chips on the front of my car also. I bought the factory paint and dabbed it on there. It isn't perfect but alot less noticeable. Don't bother purchasing the kit. Made the other area look like ****.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

scratch filler works great on this!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Or, you could just use the type of wax that does not leave white residue. There are several out there. I personally use Formula 113 wax, Meguires makes the NX wax which leaves no white residue, I'm sure there are others.

I go over my car (Black TA) 1st with Menzerna Intensive Polish and Porter Cable, then Menzerna Final Polish with PC, then Formula 113 wax. You can wax the entire car at one time and then go back and buff off haze at any time afterwards - doesn't have to be immediately - and you don't have to do a panel at a time as far as the waxing goes.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Don't go at it with a high speed buffer or you'll burn through your paint if you don't know what you're doing. Try a porter cable with some scratch filler. In reality though, you're really just gonna have to learn to deal with it. If you really don't like it, use a bra. Otherwise, the only way you're gonna avoid a crap load of rock chips is to NOT DRIVE IT. There's no other way.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Another option would have been to have the 3M Expel Clear Bra installed (after painting but before any new chips showed up) They make it for vettes and TA's don't know about camaro's.

It's really not something I would tackle installing myself though - leave it to a professional. Stuff ain't cheap either...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

yeah lots of good ideas... i work so hard to get it looking how i want it... and then it just looks bad again... even after touching it up a little... that **** sucks in my opinion....
Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

yea rocks suckday after i bought my ta i drove it to work and they happend to start cunstruction on the main road and wut do u know a bunch of chips are on my passenger qourter panel **** suksthe front dosent really bother tho cuz its gonna happen no matter wut its a daily driver so i just got to deal with it

Quick Reply: driving me insane