Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I know it's blasphemy, but my VFN hood sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I know it's blasphemy, but my VFN hood sucks

I know this will probably get my acct deleted, hell even my birthday canceled but my VFN hood sucks. Im prepared for LS1TECH mafia to snuff me out for speaking badly of.... (queue angelic music)... VFN, at any moment.

You'll hear a lot of people here say that the only company to deal with for an aftermarket fiberglass hood is VFN. You'll even see VFN appreciation threads (propaganda i think), but i just had my WS6 bolt on installed (on the car for close to 3 months in the Memphis heat, so yeah it's "cured") and painted and im very dissapointed. I am well aware that fiberglass will require some work, but this hood still looks bad. I.E. gap between hood and headlights is about a 1/2, just to get the back corners to line gap evenly. Passenger front by the headlight sticks about 1/4 ABOVE the headlight. (Yes i adjusted the rubber stop) Passenger rear is adjusted all the way up and is still 1/4 below the fender. The lines that go around the vent holes are only on one vent. The whole hood looks like its to small.
Took a lot of sanding to get "wrinkles" out. Drivers side all along the the edge was wrinkled. Creases, almost looked like it was about to crack, above where the vents go, on top of the hood. Raised "RAM AIR" writing imprinted into the hood itself, not good if you don't plan on having any writing. MORE SANDING.

Before anyone tells me to contact VFN, it states in the paperwork that comes with the hood that once the hood is mounted, no more liability for defects.

This was my first/last time buying any aftermarket fiberglass body panels. I have learned my lesson.

For sale - Brand new just painted NBM VFN bolt on WS6 hood; *fits GREAT*!!!
WTB - OEM NBM WS6 Hood

I wish this rant made me feel better but now that it's finished, im still pissed.

*This opinion is not my own. Based on public opinion.

Last edited by sneaky7980; 10-07-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics???
Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pics x2
Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn you guys are quick. pics in a few hours, i'll wash it first.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Damn you guys are quick. pics in a few hours, i'll wash it first.
with a thread title like that what did you expect?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming your car has never been involved in any accidents, especially front-end ones?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No wrecks, ran a carfax and the lady i bought it from (orig owner) was a friend of the family and only put 31k on it when i bought it last winter. I looked it over thouroughly for all the tell tale signs of body work before i bought it. car was mint.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Launching!

I think if you contact VFN they might be able to make things right for you.

I would like to see pix anyway cause I was thinking about getting a sunoco style hood from them.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

wow you are right. saying anything bad about VFN usually comes with a bunch of **** from everyone. I know because ive been there and done it. (didnt even say bad things, just that i was happy with a different company, and people jumped on me)

Its just a matter of time now, before someone posts that you are being too critical or that it is somehow your fault because VFN is god. Sure they have a lot of happy customers, but so does McDonalds. But that doesnt mean they cant mess up a hamburger (hood) from time to time...

In their defense, i hear the customer service is great and if you bitch they would probably replace it. (well probably not after its been painted.) I remember one guy on here complaining about how his was packed and thus damaged during shipping, and they replaced it for free for him. But even so, that probably incurs another 6-8 weeks without the hood you paid for.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

saying anything about any sponsor will get u a warning then a vacation. albiet somewhat ridiculous beings this is a public forum they do pay the bills. id like to see some pics. i know a buddy of mine had one of their hoods on his camaro and it took a ton of body work to make right. no mass produced aftermarket peice is going to bolt onto every car perfectly.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one has said anything bad about the OP - they're just asking for pics. I don't think anyone is doubting him either, but people get curious when an otherwise stellar company ships a bad hood.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

pics !! been a couple hours, and still no pics! I have had a similar experience as you, except it was with another aftermarket company that sent me an SS spoiler that fit like poop, so its OEM for me all the way! sorry to hear the bad news!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

I might just stick with buying an SS hood lol.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

I too have heard storys about vfn hoods fitting like **** from friends that bought them, however all my friends that bought them could work with fiberglass and quickly made it fit perfect
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

wait till phatomzer see this...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

You guys are ******* hilarious. You bought a handmade product (1 of HUNDREDS made in a year) and you expect it to fit like a cookie cut OEM piece? Find ONE aftermarket fiberglass company that does not have a small percentage of defects (i.e., fits wrong, has "wrinkles", etc.) in its released product.

Not one person on this site has ever claimed that VFN fit perfect, looked perfect, and gave them a reach around, EVERY SINGLE TIME. The difference with VFN is, they will work with you to remedy the situation. Most of the people on here that rant on about VFN, are speaking from their own personal experience (Yep, I am one of them), so drop the VFN is "god and never makes mistakes" bullshit and deal with your own problem. Either call them up like a man, or stop bitching to the public about it.

There are VERY FEW aftermarket body parts IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, that do not require adjustment, prep work, and sometimes ""more sanding" to get them to fit right. Maybe you just did not do your research on fiberglass aftermarket parts in general, because if VFN's quality is not up to par for you...be thankful you didnt buy some of the other product floating around out there that they call "direct fit".
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, definetly sounds like you got a bad piece...

For what it is worth (even though this only addresses a small percent of your fitment issues) my OEM WS6 hood had the same problems around the headlights that you are having.

They are EASILY fixed though by adjusting the headlight doors themselves, the have MANY adjustments on them. Pop-up the headlight, remove the plastic shroud that surrounds the lights and then you will see where the door is mounted. Unscrew it, take it off and adjust the bump stops UNDERNEATH the door untill your heart is content.

Wrinkles sound like a defect but I don't have a clue what "wrinkles" even means

Also, why in the hell did you paint the hood if the engraving (around the vent) was only on one vent??? Why didn't you try to get it replaced based off of that alone??? I'm assuming you had your body guy at least etch the other line before you painted it right?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Well any hood will require some adjusting. I bought a hood from SLP for my TA and it was horribly jacked up. Took me about 2 days of prep work just to get it ready to install. Sorry to hear about your problem man. I bet if you give them a call they will work with you to remedy your situation. I would also like to see pics
Old 10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Raised "RAM AIR" writing imprinted into the hood itself, not good if you don't plan on having any writing. MORE SANDING.
Just noticed this... WTF Sorry but if I saw that I'd be like then untill they took it back

Quick Reply: I know it's blasphemy, but my VFN hood sucks