Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you have lost direction with your ride. If you like it then do it but I dont expect you will have enough followers here. Get an Impala and satisfy your "need", please leave that great looking f-body alone.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Squished the roof down a bit. God, I wish it was that easy in real life.

Damn, that's really growing on me. Totally sinister.

BTW, freaking new Lambos have 4.5"-5.5" of ground clearance and they still look lower than my car. It's got to be the ground effects they use.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chaman
I think you have lost direction with your ride. If you like it then do it but I dont expect you will have enough followers here. Get an Impala and satisfy your "need", please leave that great looking f-body alone.
I haven't lost direction. Everything is moving towards a final goal. I also don't really care what people say either. I'm just asking to get some feedback on practical matters or things I haven't thought of. I already know most folks on the forums tend to bash anything different, so those kinds of comments just roll off my back. No sweat.

Impala? I don't think so.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lowering these cars looks good, but only to a point. IMO, that is way too low. Can't see how that would even be drivable.

For me, I doubt I'll ever lower mine since I scrape my air dam enough as it is. Any lower and I'll tear it off or scrape something more important.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Lowering these cars looks good, but only to a point. IMO, that is way too low. Can't see how that would even be drivable.

For me, I doubt I'll ever lower mine since I scrape my air dam enough as it is. Any lower and I'll tear it off or scrape something more important.
As far as scraping stuff, you have to tuck what you can higher and then add skid plates to the things you can't. I may add a skid plate under the oil pan, just to play it safe. That way you can be fairly confident your not going to tear the body or anything important. That's what the Vettes do. They have skid plates and some steel tubes under the nose to keep from damaging it on a steep driveway. If I see anything that could be a problem, I can just hit a button and lift the car up.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
This is a simple photoshop.

I think that looks awesome.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

If I didn't re-arch the wells, it would probably look like this pic.

I don't think you can get any lower than that. Chop the top maybe.

I think that looks pretty good like that, the only problem with arching the wheel wells is it is only going to look good when the air ride is at its lowest point. As soon as you raise it up to drive normally its going to look like *** and about four inches higher than it does the way it sits now.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
I think that looks pretty good like that, the only problem with arching the wheel wells is it is only going to look good when the air ride is at its lowest point. As soon as you raise it up to drive normally its going to look like *** and about four inches higher than it does the way it sits now.
That's what MeentSS02 said earlier.

I think the main issue I have is the distance from the roof to the lower skirt. If only there were a way to compress just the body down, like they used to section cars back in the day. Something like this.

Decent ground clearance, yet really low.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-05-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any sports car looks mean as hell low. The lower the better and guys he is not going to be driving that slammed he wants air bags so he can have a set ride height and when he pulls in and parks he can set it on the ground. now driving down the highway throwing sparks like a S-10 don't think I would want to in a F-body
Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the first pic looks nice
Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

This whole exercise is just for me to flesh out some ideas I've had for a long time. The main thought is to be low and sleek.

I'm thinking that if the lowest part of the car, say the K-member, is 4" off the ground, why not make the body all the way around come down to the same height? I mean you probably want a bit of an angle on the front and the back is probably fine as is. I've even thought about lowering the wheel wells just a little to make the car look lower. That didn't work out very well.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

My current ride height with the fender lips lowered just a little. Does it make the car look lower?

Original is below:
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the wells cut it resembles a vette a lil more
looks good both ways but like i said i like the tucked look
Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

i could see this with air ride for sure, lots of work but it would be cool and rare. I dunno if you could tub the front u might have to make the top open or something cause those tires would be way up their.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by roadhog_113
I dunno if you could tub the front u might have to make the top open or something cause those tires would be way up their.
Oh yeah, it will work. I have a 2" gap right now between tire and metal. I plan to add some 2" drop spindles which will make the K-member touch the ground. So the tires will only need to go up another 2-2.5". There's plenty of room for that, barely.

I wouldn't even consider going lower unless I had an adjustable suspension. The nose is the most critical part. It's most likely to get whacked. I have to be able to lift the car up in the air to protect it.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

I guess it depends on what size rims and rubber u are gonna run on. I think what is one it now looks awsome!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by roadhog_113
I guess it depends on what size rims and rubber u are gonna run on. I think what is one it now looks awsome!
They are 285/30/19 front and 295/30/19 rear on 19x10's.

Here is another interesting way to lower the car. Basically raising the floor pan, engine, etc...

A little:

A lot:

Kind of wierd, huh?
I don't even know if it's possible.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

This is a simple photoshop.

I basically plan to tub all 4 wheel wells and then lower the car with an air ride system so it can sit on the ground. What I'm thinking of doing is re-arching the 4 fender lips so that I can turn the front wheels fully when lowered. I may set the drive height to about 4" off the ground, maybe 3". I'm just curious if you saw this cruising past you on the freeway, would you do a double take and smile or blow it off as cheesy?
I would think, damn that looks sick!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I do not like the slammed into the ground low rider/ hillybill mini truck look in the others its to much

But the pic I qouted, does look great seems like a 2.5 inch drop
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

that is my favorite of all the pics i think. I assume you wont be racing this car?

Quick Reply: Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?