Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
I do not like the slammed into the ground low rider/ hillybill mini truck look in the others its to much
Wow, you lump all those together?

Originally Posted by roadhog_113
that is my favorite of all the pics i think. I assume you wont be racing this car?
It depends on what you mean by racing. Why are you talking about it? Do you know something I don't?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks killer tuck'n
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good in all the pics......sinister in the chopped form...not really feasible though...not unless you drive in the 'up' position.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like a lil tuck
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

There's a name for this, it's called "VIP." Mostly done with luxury cars, slammed to hell on big wheels tucking rim.

I've been wanting to do this to my car, only I don't want to do it on bags. And IMO you will need different wheels to pull this off, preferably deep dished wheels that tuck nicely into the fender.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your looking at a hell of a lot more work than I think you begin to realize.

To do it right your looking at a hell of a lot of money also.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
They are 285/30/19 front and 295/30/19 rear on 19x10's.

Here is another interesting way to lower the car. Basically raising the floor pan, engine, etc...

Kind of wierd, huh?
I don't even know if it's possible.
This would NOT be a feasable option. Theres no room between the intake and cowl as it is. To raise the engine that much would require you to move the engine forward, and if you did that you would have to reengineer the engine bay setup for clearance and adiquate cooling as you'll have to relocate the radiator. As well as work out how your going to clearance the hood. The transmission tunnel would have to be significantly modified to accomidate the raise, and the shifter would be way too far forward. You would have to change to a GTO style shifter or somthing more extreme to bring it back near the stock area. And unlike a lift kit (not unlike the ones used on the roots supercharger setups) this wouldn't be as simple as adding some spacers and loger bolts to the K member's chassis attachment points, as your trying to move the other direction. You would have to redesign the K member / motor mounts / Tranny mount and alot of other things, which on a car driven primarily on the street like yours would be really dangerous if done incorrectly.

I would go with the simplest route if your really going to try to pull this off. Pull your exhaust up as much as possible, make your suspension adjustable like your planning so you can raise the car up, and put skidplates on stuff your worried about. I think the look would be killer, but the practicality of something that low is beyond what i would want to deal with. Dont modify the wheel wells either, unless you absolutly have to because of clearancing issues. You will hate the look at rideheight if the wheelwells barly cover the wheels at full drop possition.

Good luck with it man.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

im talkin about drag racing. Deffinetly not set up for drag racing and i don't know how air bags do on a road coarse. U turnin this into a show car?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

your car is already low enough, it looks good already.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

eh you might want to get some sort of adjustable upper control arm...just a thought

the only thing I can say is do your air bags first and get that setup like you want and then you'll probably have a much better idea of how you are going to go about getting the car that low. Might be easier that way, as far as the chop top, not sure if that is safe...ya know for your skull, you said you like high speed stuff, thinking out loud dude, I think that is what you were asking for feedback
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the chopped look the best. you could probably build a channel for the windshield and the hatch glass and it wouldn't be "that" pricey.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
This is a simple photoshop.

I basically plan to tub all 4 wheel wells and then lower the car with an air ride system so it can sit on the ground. What I'm thinking of doing is re-arching the 4 fender lips so that I can turn the front wheels fully when lowered. I may set the drive height to about 4" off the ground, maybe 3". I'm just curious if you saw this cruising past you on the freeway, would you do a double take and smile or blow it off as cheesy?
The front arch looks pretty decent but the proposed rear is too round. To me it seems to cut into the flow of the body lines too much. I think if you just bagged it would look sweet though.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the other look too low i say the first pic the best looking stance. i mean its low but not tooo low
Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

man that pic looks mint hurry up and get er done i really want to see this build
Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think your first pic is the way to go if you're serious about this. Most guys are saying they don't like the slammed to the ground look. even though Vettes Lambos ect. are just as low. I don't like the slammed to the ground look either because USUALLY the wheels are all tucked up into the wheel wells which looks terrible. If you modified the arches in each wheel well to be taller it would look killer and you'd still be able to turn the wheels. If I could do it, I would.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats ghetto
Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

What gave me the idea was this little RC model body I saw years ago.

I think the engine and trans could go up about 2" higher without moving it forward which would help a lot when it comes to lowering the car. Since I put poly mounts on it, it doesn't move much at all. I already want to do a front breather conversion and mount a smaller radiator further forward. The big unknown is if there's room to raise the trans tunnel up under the dash. I can't readily see around there, but it's a good bet the climate control stuff is packed in there pretty tight.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, but that looks really hideous. As said though, to each their own it's your car. Just seems like too much of a hassle for what it is to me also.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

It would help if you said WHY it looks ugly in your opinion.

Quick Reply: Experimental Lowering Technique, does this look good?