Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

93-97 Firebird Bi-Xenon FX Projector Retro-fit ***UPDATED W/ WRITE-UP***

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Sounds like it may eventually move though.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way it could move is if the lexan flexed but at the thickness and small size of the piece, it is very stiff. This would even only happen if the whole projector would be able to move forward. If something eventually shifts out of place.

I will go to my backup and do the bolt and nut setup that I had originally planned for. Very similar to the guy who mounted his projectors using a plastic/plexi piece with a whole cut in it. He separated his projector and put the piece in between but my idea was to put bolts with the same thread size and specifics through the plexi in the front. These would then begin to thread into the projector housing. Using a couple nuts, I can still keep the projector tightly closed while being able to adjust the length at all four corners.

Wouldn't be hard to do.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much for you to just send me the housing setup?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlyStoner421
How much for you to just send me the housing setup?
Are you referring to the setup I just made or the kit in the FS section?

-brian
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Can you take a vid of switching from low to high beam? I'd like to see that, any thought of making these for any other members here?

P
Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O Holy P
Can you take a vid of switching from low to high beam? I'd like to see that, any thought of making these for any other members here?

P
I'll work on a vid this weekend. I totally forgot to take some high beam pics while I had the car out of the garage.

I've toyed with the idea of making these for other people but I would need to spend more time, make another mold that can withstand multiple formings and see if there is really a market for it. I believe there is a market but I am not sure how big. This was pricey to do and most guys would prob rather go faster, stop, and corner better than improve the lighting for the cost.

I will have to work up something for the LS1 guys as well to see if I can put something together than would a total drop-in system.

-Brian
Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Default question about the retro-fit

what are the red wires for that are on the bottom of the projectors?
and did yours have a yellow wire on top side of them?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Good job bro, Thats freaking great. Very impresive. Very. Damn i want better projectors
Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2and4genbirds
what are the red wires for that are on the bottom of the projectors?
and did yours have a yellow wire on top side of them?
Red wires are for the high beam solenoid on the bottom of the projector. It moves the shield to change the beam pattern. I had a yellow wire on the top of mine when I got them but it is not needed for my project. That wire is meant to hook up to a leveling switch that the factory Infiniti FX35/45 had to raise or lower the beam from inside the car. Guys have hooked that up with the rest of the components but I didn't find it necessary and many others don't as well.

-Brian
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Default size of the projectors

do you by chance remember or know what the size of the projectors is length and height and depth. b/c i'm thinking about trying to fit a set in a 2000 and i know my lights are smaller so i'm trying to see if they would fit.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 2and4genbirds
do you by chance remember or know what the size of the projectors is length and height and depth. b/c i'm thinking about trying to fit a set in a 2000 and i know my lights are smaller so i'm trying to see if they would fit.
They do fit.

SCRWS6 did it and it is listed in the Lighting FAQ.

Here is a direct link to his write-up:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/746505-trans-am-firebird-lexan-projector-adapters-no-56k.html

He didn't seal them as well Blackbirdws6 did though.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I'll work on a vid this weekend. I totally forgot to take some high beam pics while I had the car out of the garage.
Any updates on this, been anxiously awaiting on it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Any updates on this, been anxiously awaiting on it.
My apologies for the wait. I've been working on running the wiring harness where I wanted so it was aesthetically pleasing. I just had everything plugged in before to show the output. The wires are all ran neatly now so I'll be aiming them a bit better and take some more shots. I'll work on getting the video together tonight or at least pics. Everything works just as stock which was my ultimate goal.

-Brian
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
SCRWS6

Now that is truly an awesome job, definitely worth the add to keep the projector lense clean....and help blend the cutoff
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

i just finished up my retrofit with my hella 90mm projectors. I still have my e46 projectors and yes I am going to try this. Thanks for outdoing me and giving me inspiration to try something else. If it works for the ls1 headlights anyone want em lol?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
My apologies for the wait. I've been working on running the wiring harness where I wanted so it was aesthetically pleasing. I just had everything plugged in before to show the output. The wires are all ran neatly now so I'll be aiming them a bit better and take some more shots. I'll work on getting the video together tonight or at least pics. Everything works just as stock which was my ultimate goal.

-Brian
Sounds great, looking forward to the updates
Old 02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
i just finished up my retrofit with my hella 90mm projectors. I still have my e46 projectors and yes I am going to try this. Thanks for outdoing me and giving me inspiration to try something else. If it works for the ls1 headlights anyone want em lol?
I guess this is one of those who ever gets it done first things huh? Glad I can help inspire some people to try this out themselves. I have started work on an LS1 bird plexiglass cover set as we speak so once I get the details ironed out I will post the final product. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

-Brian
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

i've got all the supplies to do it. i was just worried about sealing everything up and fitment and i never thought of the plaster of paris method. Then my girlfriend shows up with some hella 90mm projectors and i abandoned the project but I'll give it a try again because E46 projectors look way better!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
i've got all the supplies to do it. i was just worried about sealing everything up and fitment and i never thought of the plaster of paris method. Then my girlfriend shows up with some hella 90mm projectors and i abandoned the project but I'll give it a try again because E46 projectors look way better!
Good luck with getting it done. I am looking forward to seeing your results. More effort will be required to seal these up totally because there is still the gap on the right and left sides of the factory housing. I have sealed them up with stuff thats not so pretty but after the factory shroud goes on...no one sees it. I never drive the car in the rain but these are totally sealed in the front.

Good luck. Btw, Hi-Beam shots should be done tonight with vid.

-Brian
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Sounds great, looking forward to the updates
Updates: Re-Aimed the headlights. I used my woman's RX350 to see where these needed to be aimed. I find her headlights to be a bit high(factory setting) so I took mine down just a touch.

Again, the camera I have is so so for night shots and with the flash, the intensity is dulled a lot. These are much brighter in person so don't be fooled.

I also included a video of them switching from low-beam to high-beam and back again. If your curious why it sounds like I'm revving the vehicle somehow, I think I had my hand over the speaker lol. I took a quick ride and wow, these just work so well. It's literally a night and day difference over my previous drop-in H4 HID kit.

Here ya go.
Low Beam:

High beam:

Video:

-Brian

Quick Reply: 93-97 Firebird Bi-Xenon FX Projector Retro-fit ***UPDATED W/ WRITE-UP***