Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Transport vehicle with car cover on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transport vehicle with car cover on?

I'm going to be moving from New Mexico to South Carolina here next week. I'm going to be trailering my Goat behind me.

I just had the paint polished to remove some water etching on the clear coat the other day and today I plan on finishing the job by putting a couple healthy layers of wax onto the car to protect the paint again.

Anyway, I was thinking of putting my car cover over the GTO while I make the trip, so that way it doesn't get dirty on the way there since I'm going all out today to make it nice and shiny.

I plan on securing the car cover very well to prevent air from making it flop around while I'm on the interstate.

Has anybody else done this before, if so anything in particular I need to prepare for?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you typically need a cover made for this purpose. It would need to fit very very snugly.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe invest in some good bungees to make sure the cover stays on?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Where in SC are you moving to?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. It'll eventually scratch the clear coat even more with the continuous wind flopping it around.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a buddy who had a 68 SS and when he moved from portland to LA he had it with a cover on flatbed, when he got to LA he found out one of the flaps had come off and ruined the paint on his drivers side. So be careful how you do it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd just trailer it as is or get an enclosed trailer. The car is gonna get dirty at some point anyway, plus you never know what might happen with a car cover on kind of like what Transambandit said happened to his friend. One other thing that matters is the car cover water resistant?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way in hell would I ever cover a car that was being towed, unless it was in an enclosed trailer. I have a snug car cover, and it only took about 20-25 MPH gusts of wind to get it flopping around all over the place.

Although I suppose you could just tow the car at around 5 MPH or so...you know...like Oregon Trail style.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Well, these are the kinds of heads-up's I was looking for. Thanks!

I was kinda skeptical about the whole thing, honestly. I figured if I bungee'd the hell out of it, it would stay secure. But now that I think about it, I'll be going like 60-70mph down I-20, and who knows what kind of cross-winds I'll have driving through Texas.

I guess I'll just have to re-wash and wax my Goat when I get to SC. Not that big of a deal, I'll just hate doing it next week all over again, since I'm washing/waxing this afternoon.

Originally Posted by 30thanniversaryz
Where in SC are you moving to?
Sumter, SC.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

no, if you want it covered, then get a closed trailer......otherwise you are looking for trouble
Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
no, if you want it covered, then get a closed trailer......otherwise you are looking for trouble
yep more than likely no matter how tight you put it on its going to flap against the paint and damage it, or worse ruin it
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI you can purchase a cover for your open car hauler. I have not seen this in action and I don't know how well it works. Consider at your own risk.

Link
"TOMMY'S TRAILER TOPPER"
(Removable Canvas Enclosure)

We would like to introduce you to one of our popular items - a Removable Canvas Enclosure to go on your Tommy's Trailer, to cover those delicate cars that need to be hauled across country.

The enclosure on this unit is made of 18 oz. reinforced nylon canvas; has one zipper rear door that ties up to haul those long cars; one side zipper walk-in door; two front access doors to tie your cars down; a fully removable tarp and an ALL ALUMINUM FRAMEWORK WHICH CAN EASILY BE TAKEN OFF and set up on the ground for a one-car garage. The Topper has an inside height of six feet, is complemented by a Jet Stream Air Dam, and has a V'd nose. Many colors of the canvas are available at no extra charge.

Quick Reply: Transport vehicle with car cover on?