Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY carwash places with engine cleaning option

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY carwash places with engine cleaning option

so at the do it yourself carwash places(those places with the high pressure guns) I saw the engine clean option and thought to myself that since my 2 yr ownership I've never cleaned my engine and it was dirty so I went ahead and selected the engine cleaning option. I got scared cause I saw some smoke come up. Then after I rinsed with high pressure water. Did I do a bad thing or is this okay? Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'smoke' was probably just the water hitting the hot parts of the engine, causing steam.

Everything in the LS1's engine bay is weatherpacked to protect against water damage, but theres no way in hell I would be using a high pressure wand on it. Next time get some spray on engine cleaner, let it set, and then rinse with low pressure water (i.e. a hose with no nozzle).
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man. I'm breathing easy now. So next time skip on the high pressure and use low pressure. Any possible damages I may have caused due to high pressure? Thanks again
Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have always been a little nervous about putting water right on my engine, afraid of rust and it seeping into places it shouldnt be..its not dirty but i would like it to be spotless
Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

I dont know. I had my car detailed last year and they cleaned the engine. The day I got it back my SES light went on and it turned out to be my knock sensor. My boy is a GM service tech and he said it's common with the LSX motors to have the knock sensor short out due to a space at the back of the intake i believe he said that water can get into. Havent washed the motor since and it could definitely use it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Teching In

it is perfectley fine to powerwash the engine as long as you leave the motor running. i do it on my 02' Z once and month and have never had problems. alls you have to do is use some degreaser on the tuff spots. when you are done washing leave it running for about another ten minutes. ALWAYS works on mine.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned

why leave it running? to dry?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by toslo5o
why leave it running? to dry?
im wondering the samething cuz my engine needs to be cleaned badly
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

yup keeping the car at operating temp is the key here. you could turn the car off for a few minutes while washing it but dont let degreaser or soap sit too long as it can get into the crevices and under the intake into the knock sensors. Poor sealing on gms part. But start it up right after and let it run for a while to evaporate the water faster. if the water puddles by the knock sensors they tend to corrode and throw a ses light exspecially with soap. I used simple green once and the knock sensor corroded in 2 days causing an ses light. After that ive used degreaser (from safetykleen) and when i took my motor apart the sensors looked like new.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the worst thing that can happen is to suck water instead of air in the engine...CLA-CLANK... SO I would avoid running the engine while washing it!! Never happened to anybody I know, but I prefer not to be the first. Never know when **** happens.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

i would never wash my engine at operating temps. Hot things, not limited to metal, aluminum, glass or plastic, can crack when rapidly cooled. I know that since the engine is running and heat from the combustion,friction ect is constast I still wouldnt advise it. Unless you are spraying your engine with 180 degree water I would recommend not hitting the hot engine with any cool liquids
Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Launching!

I've been cleaning my engine for a couple of years now. I cover the few things with wires (using plastic wrap or aluminum foil), then spray on the engine cleaner/detailer. Then I use low pressure water to rinse it all off. Last thing is what I've seen recommended on many different engine detailer sprays...turn it on and let it run for 10 minutes. I haven't had any problems so far. It looks and runs great each time.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres what I do: Wash it when the engines cold, little to no degreaser (get tough spots with a brush if its that bad), then rinse with low pressure if available, then hit with a leaf blower to get all the water out of cracks and then let it run for a bit (usually up to operating temp) when your all done. My car is black and I get compliments on the car all the time when I pop the hood and I've used that process for a long time now- plus its got me lots of show car trophys. But goodluck, just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
thanks man. I'm breathing easy now. So next time skip on the high pressure and use low pressure. Any possible damages I may have caused due to high pressure? Thanks again
Thanks WOman you mean

Quick Reply: DIY carwash places with engine cleaning option