Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Covered Dash Pad

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Covered Dash Pad

I've searched and searched to no avail. Has anyone succeeded in covering their crack-prone dash pad with anything other than a carpet projectile? I attempted to repair a small crack in mine today and the things blew apart like a grenade. I have it all back in one piece, and began the sanding prep for covering. I'm just curious as to what others have done about the defrost vents.

TIA.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattism78
I've searched and searched to no avail. Has anyone succeeded in covering their crack-prone dash pad with anything other than a carpet projectile? I attempted to repair a small crack in mine today and the things blew apart like a grenade. I have it all back in one piece, and began the sanding prep for covering. I'm just curious as to what others have done about the defrost vents.

TIA.
I have thought about covering mine also. One possibility is carefully cutting the vent out, leaving an approximately oval-shaped holed w/ smooth edges. Wrap the dash. Then cut some steel mesh/other to fit the hole. It is just a rough idea and I have not really put much thought into it yet. My dash is also cracked and I would like a better option than just buying another replacement.

Another option to try would be reinforcing the underside of a new dash with fiberglass prior to install. Since both my dashes cracked at the mounting posts, I would consider either paying extra attention to reinforcing that area, or removing the posts entirely and going to hook and loop fastening in those areas.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

just tint your car and get a window blocker thing
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just finished step 2 of the prep process, I'm going to head out in a bit and pick up my material and some spray adhesive. I've found a nice suede/micro fiber in black that is thin enough for me to lay into the defrost section. It's kind of disappointing that no one makes some sort of billet overlay piece for that area. That would make the job SOOO much easier.

I've reinforced the underside with a good amount of plastic epoxy in the trouble spots. The trick will be in making the top nice and flat. Using a lightweight material is a double edged sword in that you need a good flat, even surface or else it will show through.

As for tinting my car and getting the "window blocker thing", that's a bit late. I just purchased the car and it had a small crack in it prior to me getting it. I'm an upholsterer so instead of spending money on a new shell I want to fix this one. I know it can be done, it's not rocket science. It is kind of sad how cheap the OEM part is though.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

They make dash mats. I got mine from autozone.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikzgp
They make dash mats. I got mine from autozone.
Yeah but IMHO dash mats are chincy. I don't want a carpet projectile coming at me at the track either.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finished product:
Took longer than I would have liked, and the vents were truly a pain in the butt. Came out exceptionally well though. The black suede does contrast the OEM gray, but I plan on adding more suede later on. MUCH better than a dash mat

Last edited by Mattism78; 06-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

i just bought a new one instead. took one out of a camaro and put it in my firebird
Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly.com
i just bought a new one instead. took one out of a camaro and put it in my firebird
Good luck with the new one. Unfortunately the panels are designed to break easily during a crash so unless you took the time to reinforce the bottom side of your replacement chances are it will crack again.

I reinforced the bottom of mine with a good plastic resin, I also pieced it back together from about 10 separate pieces. In total it cost me about $40 to fix, and now I don't have to worry about cracking again.

Took a few better pictures with a real camera.

Last edited by Mattism78; 06-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the vent was difficult.

I cut out all of those slats there and covered that area with a black speaker grill material. I covered the rest of the dash pad with marine grade, black vinyl.

I'd post picks but my camera is busted.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fireman
It looks like the vent was difficult.

I cut out all of those slats there and covered that area with a black speaker grill material. I covered the rest of the dash pad with marine grade, black vinyl.

I'd post picks but my camera is busted.
I saw you post about your dash in another thread. You're about the only person I've read that has successfully covered it. The vents SUCKED! I used an exacto knife, and superglue to help bond the small pieces. The trick was using black material so I could spray paint it from the bottom to cover the glue. It's a trick we used to use at Piper Aircraft to cover visible spots that were a PITA to get glue remover to.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like that was a real PITA. Good work
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95greenbird
looks like that was a real PITA. Good work
but looks like it was worth it
Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found some pictures of Humpty Dumpty (aka my dash) before I covered it. I figure this should give a good idea of what I had to work with and repaired.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

im sure it was totally worth it. theres another t/a on here that did the entire dash and pad now thats a real pita. im gunna do the camaro dash as soon as i figure out if im sticking with the lt1 or going with an ls1 dash.

Quick Reply: Covered Dash Pad