Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mouse fur headliner material

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mouse fur headliner material

1. Who carries/sells the stock "mouse fur" headliner material? I'm trying to keep the stock look, even though the stock fabric is kinda crappy. Someone posted that Pepboys may carry it.

2. What color is this? I think it's graphite, but I want to make sure I get the exact color.

3. What are people doing about the visors? Won't they be mismatched from the new material?

I plan on doing this myself, but what would a shop charge to replace the fabric if I bring it in?

Thanks.

BTW, the dog is a lot bigger now = a solid 26 lbs. , and already stopped one car break in with her big dog bark.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure what "mouse fur" headliner material is, but I would go to an auto upholstery shop and ask there.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99345hp
Im not sure what "mouse fur" headliner material is, but I would go to an auto upholstery shop and ask there.
"Mouse fur" is just the stock fuzzy headliner material. That's what we old folks used to call it. I was trying to avoid going to an upholstery shop because it doesn't look like a hard DIY job.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not. Quite a few people have done it on here, just they used different materials. A shop might be able to give you more info on the fabric where to get it, etc.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Default Yuck

Went to Pepboys this afternoon and sure enough, they carry headliner material for $50 and the adhesive for $10. The problem is that I thought my headliner was dirty or dingy, but apparently that's how the fuzzy headliner material looks brand new. I want my car to look stock, but there's no way I can put that stuff back in my car.

Anybody know if the fabric stores like Joanns or Minnesota Fabrics carry something that's close to stock, but not so cheesy? I know I can take it to an upholstery, but for some reason I want to do it myself.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Joanna carries a few colors of head liner. I got my speaker grill cloth from there and was checking it out. I am getn black and Im gonna re wrap my visors with it also. Should look way better then the graphite

Oh yeah I think its 15 dollars per yard. So 4ft L x 58'' W

prob be safe with 2 or 3 yards for both headliner and visors.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
Joanna carries a few colors of head liner. I got my speaker grill cloth from there and was checking it out. I am getn black and Im gonna re wrap my visors with it also. Should look way better then the graphite

Oh yeah I think its 15 dollars per yard. So 4ft L x 58'' W

prob be safe with 2 or 3 yards for both headliner and visors.
Thanks x2jesse1x!!! I just got from Joann's and they had the headliner material for $13 a yard = $26, versus $50 from PepBoys, plus this seems higher quality. The funny thing was that ladies in the store knew more about cars than the guy at PB, one lady was trying to get a 64 1/2 Mustang put back together.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Red face

You can try MOUSEFUR.COM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default Not working out.

Well, so far this isn't working out too good. I got the fabric from Joann's and it is similar, but not identical to the original headliner material. Everything went well, the headliner came out with no problem, the old foam backing was easy to get off with a sander and 100 grit sand paper, and putting the the new material on was going okay until I got to the four inside corners. I used all of the "tricks" like making small radial cuts in the material around the corners but the material would start to rip or the material wouldn't over lap the corner edges enough for it to look right. Either the material needs to stretch more or I'm doing something wrong.

For you guys with hardtops, this would be an easy job, but the t-roof is trickier than I thought it would be.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

lol should of just paid
Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Red face Oh well...

Originally Posted by SSquid
lol should of just paid
j/k (but you're right, sort of...)

Seriously though, I like "experimenting" on my car, trying to do things myself, just for the fun of it, as well as for saving a few bucks, but this was a little more complicated than I thought and I ended up having to pay a professional to "fix" what I screwed up. I searched before I tried this but I guess I missed the part about how to deal with the curves. If you don't get it right the first time, you'll either end up with it looking crappy or you'll end up spending money for more material. With a t-roof car you HAVE to do a good job because with the T's off, you can see "mistakes" (sloppy work) really well. I gave up after the second try. Fortunately I only spend $40 on material and $14.00 on glue. The pro job cost $120, so I sort of took a loss on this one, even though a replacement bought on line would have run $200 or more, including shipping. The worst part was walking in to the shop with my tail between my legs. LOL

There's a reason why good upholsterers get paid well. If this was just the flat, hard top headliner, it would have been okay, but it still wouldn't have looked as good as the job done by the pro, plus the fabric he had matched the visors exactly. You CAN save a few bucks by removing the headliner yourself (easy) and cleaning the board up (not hard) instead of just taking your car to the upholstery shop.

Oh well, you live and learn.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

cute dog. lol
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Launching!

so how did he do the 4 inside corners then?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
so how did he do the 4 inside corners then?
1. Better glue than what comes in stores - looks thicker and I think he used a gun.
2. Better material (had a little stretch to it).
3. I think he heated up the material at the corners a little bit to give it a little more stretch. Even then he only had about a 1/4 inch overlap but at least there were no wrinkles.

Again, it CAN be done, in fact, like I said, if you have a coupe it's probably MUCH easier and it will probably come out okay, but the problem is that if you use quality glue and material, and by the time you figure it out and get better at it, you've probably spent just a little less than if you took it to an upholsterer. And if you mess up one of four corners, you basically have to start over again.

Originally Posted by lt1noob
cute dog. lol
Thanks. She's a Rat Terrier/Lab mix. Best/smartest dog I've ever had, but not great with kids who don't know about dogs.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 863 Likes on 659 Posts

I'm thinking PLAID would make for a nice custom look
Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got stock 93-96 graphite headliner material from year one a few years back for ~ $60. it was enough to do 2 t-top headliners (had to redo it after replacing the board that cracked during the first attempt... we did a temp job with the busted board until i could go get a used board a few weeks later)

with what it ended up costing ($60 in glue since it takes 2 bottles and i did it twice, plus the $40 headliner board, and the $60 in material) if i had it to do all over again i would have just spent the $200-$250 on the fiberglass replacement with the fabric on it.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

local hancock fabrics here sells the headliner for 7 bucks a yard......sweet.

Quick Reply: Mouse fur headliner material