Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found it
Attached Thumbnails 6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread-camarodiffuser.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
I found this:

I HAVE to get that wing!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Just had a thought, but maybe it's just me.

Does anyone else hate their suvisors? I'm talking about the ones mounted on the headliner. They're so cheap and mine are always crooked. Anytime I hit the throttle, one of em swings back.

Some ABS ones that had a clip on the inside to steady and align them would be awesome. But then again, maybe I'm the only one with this problem.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you make one for the camaro, you have a sale.
I think alluminum would be the way to go on this one.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

this is a difusser.... do it
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?

this is a difusser.... do it
if they had this for the camaro id be al over it.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

I've been watching this from the beginning (Camaro splitter), you have my attention now Especially if you like 96/97 WS6 cars. I think I like the splitter better on the Trans Am's. When you decide to start mocking up the 96/97 T/A splitters, do you think it will be a bolt-on product. I don't really want to drill or cut my nose. Do you supply stainless hardware or just traditional with the splitters ? Keep up the good work.....
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Alright thanks, i'll see how far the plans go with this. Then I guess i'll have to decide. If it looks better with one, both or none.Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

taken off frrax posted by z28tt:
Rule of thumb to keep flow attached to a surface, is that the diverging angles need to be 15 degrees or less. You're going from a narrower in between the rear tires to the full width of the car after the tires (about 24" more), so they should get wider to maximize the downforce and minimize drag.

alan blaines car:

You can't see in this pic that the undertray makes a 2" radius bend upward just aft of the panhard rod, and the vanes continue forward for a couple inches past the bend. I should drop the whole thing about 3" and trim the vanes.

and from the guy who built it for the black car:
i built the diffuser out of aluminium. i basically copied what i had seen on some of my diecast toys of racing vipers, except i didn't extend the diffuser past the rear bumper as the viper engineers had. i also didn't have a complete underbody tray for the car because i ran a flexible front spoiler approx. 1" off the ground that forced a lot of the air around the car instead of under it. i figured the most turbulent air i was trying to control was mostly coming in around from the sides. i don't remember what gauge it was, but i think it was 3/16" thick or so. [fairly rigid] i built the prototype out of cardboard and then had a local fabrication shop build it. my car had a fuel cell hanging back there that was designed to break away in a catastrophic accident, so this diffuser actually attached to the fuel cell "cage" that surrounded it. it was a pretty simple piece with the leading edge approx"2 inches from the rear axle. that leading edge had a 2" lip bent upwards at 45 degrees to keep air from going above the diffuser. each vane started all the way forward on the flat surface. in other words, the vanes were the full length of the pan. the horizontal surface of the pan was basically flush with the fuel cell until the rear edge of the cell, where it started going upwards to meet flush with the rear bumber fascia. the same thing was done on the sides of the cell to meet the side edges of the bumper fascia. the vanes were then shaped so that the bottom edges were all parallel to the ground. the bottom edges were roughly 3.5" above the road surface. the whole thing just attched to the fuel cell cage with four quick release pins because it was necessary to remove it sometimes to service the cooling pumps for the transmission and rear differential which were mounted under chassis above the diffuser. also, it was necessary to remove it to load the car into the trailer on occasion.
some good links to read through:
http://dsr.racer.net/tech_info/aero/diffuser.htm
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser.htm
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...body_diffuser/
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/image...ffuser_LRG.jpg
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/image...ifuser_LRG.jpg
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...hp?Item_ID=176

diffuser off a Ford GT

hate to tell you this Mark, but you have A LOT of hw to do on this one

oh, and ughh, i want one for the SS, i want it to seal up to my CME valance and just leave the opening for CME tips, and attach on the front side of the rear end (completely covering the underbody rear section). i've been thinking of doing this for some time now
Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

oh, and do a search for threads by JasonWW, he's photochopped some diffuser pics on his WS6
Old 10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Should be interesting but I'd need to see something closer to what it would look like on a T/A. On one hand, it would be good for the guys that have dumped exhaust, but what would you do for those who have it going out the back?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Oh, forgot your post. You can paint if you want but no one has/does. They come in textured ABS ready to bolt on...
Sick. Again, can't see pics, so ABS is??? From what I can tell, its black..therefore...goes great with the black/pewter theme I'm going for.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

i wanna see it on the car first carbon fiber wrapped would look the best that vette is who makes that for the vette
Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I was wondering that also LustrousWS6. I would love a rear diffuser for my TA but I have dual tipped exhaust that fills up the back end nicely. Where exactly would the blades go? Will it be a flat piece that goes underneath the bumper like the above pics?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be awesome for the camaro...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thats pretty cool looking!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

sorry but what does a diffuser do?

also i won't stick that aluminum thing on my ceta. now one like the vete up above^ i would.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

a rear diffuser helps to prevent air from getting trapped in the pocket our gas tanks sit at the rear of the car, that areas a huge parachute just trapping air. it also smooths the air out as it passes under the car making the air that is passed through faster and smoother. helps with rear down force as well
Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

for those who don't know, a diffuser doesn't do anything for performance until ~150mph+
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I'd buy a set of 4 for sure, I've got dumps and the bumper looks bare...

Quick Reply: 6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread