Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Then we wouldn't need those splitter's either. People are purchasing the splitter's for appearance not so much functionality.
Well, originally they were purchased first for the appearance and functionality of simply keeping the bumper from being scraped.

No we've found out they are actually very functional at highway speeds and will be even more so on Trans-Ams

Anyways, I get your point and that you're backing me up, was just adding this...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in a Camaro version if one is ever made.....
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

I'm still not getting how anyone (besides Trans-Ams) have anywhere to put these on their car without removing rear exhaust.

Maybe I'll just work on a middle piece out of aluminum that can't be melted by the exhaust...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I'm still not getting how anyone (besides Trans-Ams) have anywhere to put these on their car without removing rear exhaust.

Maybe I'll just work on a middle piece out of aluminum that can't be melted by the exhaust...

it would have to be somthing like the cme valance thats molded on to the rear bumper. lots of work ahead of u 6LE. i know u can do it though. the god of abs plastics.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Man, I don't know how we got on a Camaro kick

You would have to have side exhaust on a Camaro for this to work right? Since you'd have a plastic plate covering the whole rear...

or CME with a valance and it can make just an opening for the CME tips, covering from the bottom of the valance and forward to the rear end..

Originally Posted by michaelg589
post #32

and you know i want functional mark
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

havent read this whole thread, but i've been thinking about that for a long time now. it is functional on the Evo, and is stick on..
Old 10-05-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If an ABS piece was made to fit below the exhaust it could be fairly universal for all F bodies, there would need to be a heat barrier on the backside to protect it though. Otherwise the TA and formulas with gfx would share a complex molded composite piece but the camaros would need a new design as would the birds without gfx.
The corner-carvers thread... (there are a lot of engineers and guys that have access to info the common guy doesn't) they have said substantial improvements have been made with just the outside fins on a diffuser. They've also said you need to be approaching 2 inches off the ground. Think a large U shape for design. It would make fabrication a lot cheaper, provide performance benefits and wouldn't be much more costly than the splitter already in production.
The racer could add extensions to bring the diffuser level low enough for next to nothing with flexible plastic from wherever. Or maybe 6LE could offer the extensions for next to nothing to help the grass roots guys.

As for a carbon fiber piece. To be stiff enough you're looking at 2 layers of carbon fiber and a nomex core. For a U shape piece it would be $320-400 for materials alone. then there is mold making, add in labor to build it(think 10-20 hours), shipping and stocking and no one would pay for the piece. If you want to get into a sculpted carbon piece like the vette you would be looking at even more. If a fiberglass piece with a carbon overlay was made it would be cheaper... relatively speaking, but it still wouldn't be "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination and it would be significantly heavier. For reference carbon fiber is roughly 20-25 cents a sq inch. Figure a diffuser at a U shape is 74x60 inches... Axle to back bumper, strakes at ground level from side to side on a lowered car. you guys do the math. 74 x 60 x.25 = ouch!

I think 6LE has been doing a bang up job and you guys need to know compromises need to be made to bring something into production... or pony up some serious money. One offs and limited production runs are one thing for the guys willing to spend, a mass produced part is another boat entirely.

I'm anxious to see what 6LE can come up with.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Banned

^^I'm scared of CF on splitters and diffusers though. Anything with the potential of scraping makes it have the potential of unraveling and I heard a thread can puncture a tire.

No first hand experience, just stories from racers, I could be wrong...
Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Evo style rear diffusers. Small fins, but is consistent with the rest of the rear cover. With the gaps on the TA for exhaust it would actually work to your advantage.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

carbon fiber shards might as well be steel slivers when it brakes. it shatters and can pop a tire as well as any nail. id stay away from it unless youre making an all-out, no expense spared race car.

so whats the consensus on it so far? is there any way to do it without having dumped or side exhaust? or is the only way to cut out the CETA part? if it can be done without major modification (cutting) and keeping stock placement exhaust, id be in for one. but im not willing to cut up my bumper or dump my exhaust.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v7guy
they have said substantial improvements have been made with just the outside fins on a diffuser. They've also said you need to be approaching 2 inches off the ground. Think a large U shape for design. It would make fabrication a lot cheaper, provide performance benefits and wouldn't be much more costly than the splitter already in production.
The racer could add extensions to bring the diffuser level low enough for next to nothing with flexible plastic from wherever. Or maybe 6LE could offer the extensions for next to nothing to help the grass roots guys.

Great ideas here. Especially for the CME camaro guys. Make some diffusers for the outsides out of aluminum. Then make replaceable plastic inserts that can be slid down to proper height. Something simple like a straight line with a bolt and nut to tighten the plastic against the aluminum fin. Maybe like 2-3 fins per side...?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Launching!

You have my support on this. I think as long as the fins arent too much longer than the bumper on the t/as, everything should look fine. Something simple like the one on the vette. Cause the one on the GT is huge. How about have the top of the fin be like 3/4in thick and the bottom of it be like 1/4in thick. Have the piece smooth or rounded on the corners/sides instead of flat. You know what I mean? That way its not "just" a piece of plastic someone got and put on the car.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think they make a smilie for this response... oh here it is...
Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

i dont think that wuld look good at all
you shuld make it 4-wheel drive too. oops i mean ALL- wheel drive
Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trans am diffuser...im in!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Banned

The purpose it to get people to stop bug me about making it

I think the rear bumper catches air, like a parachute. A true diffuser is a flat plate with air foils/blades to stop the effect and actually streamline the air out...

Mostly what I am looking at (just adding blades to the CETA part of a TA bumper) is appearance... Then again I thought my splitter was appearance only until I found out from a professional racer that it actually REALLY works well...
so what if we just put a peice of metal form bumper to gas tank. wouldn't that fix parachute.

i llike this idea. but just adding fins where the exhaust was. probly wont help.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

to help with the air getting caught up in there you wuold almost have to have something that went up to the rear axle.

i still think someone need to take a bottow pic of the trans am /camaro and photo shop it in. i would but i aint a computer guy
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

I would be willing to reroute my exhaust to fit one up. Something like this, but straight out the sides (no CME):

Would that give you enough room?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I would be willing to reroute my exhaust to fit one up. Something like this, but straight out the sides (no CME):

Would that give you enough room?

i'm thinking with for the CME guys we wont have to change anything, that the diffuser will go under it to the valance with just an opening for the tips

i'm working on a photo-chop now, i've been busy racing all weekend, just got home
Old 10-05-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Delete the pricing from your post ^^, you're not allowed to advertise prices unless you're a sponsor. Not trying to be a dick, just warning you.

Quick Reply: 6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread