Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PT4000 owners.. need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT4000 owners.. need some advice

My converter is showing about 14% slip running through the traps. I know it will be less with more gear (which I plan on 3.73s soon), but does that sound about on par with stock weight and 3.23 gears? This is supposed to be their "most efficient, baddest converter" they have for NA. This is with a new FLT 4 trans and the converter was just gone through by Yank.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This appears to be on par with what another member was noticing with his PT4400 (13% IIRC). I've seen lower figures as well, but I've never had the opportunity to check mine. I'd see what it is once you add the gears, and if you're not satisfied, look into a different converter.

On a side note, I'd be interested to see what the efficiency is on other large converters for comparison sake.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats on par with mine 13%.It pulls really hard but one of its atributes is high amount of slippage.I dont think it will change much(percent ) with a gear change,i have 4.11 gears.You might try hooking up a switch so that you can lock up the verter in high gear,i never tried it(probably should have).
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

The PT works best with 3.73 or more.
you can not reach a high enought RPM at the finish line but you are in the torque mult. state (STR range) so you ET might not change but RPM will drop with more gear installed,
and the converter will run cooler with the extra gear
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would it matter if ET would not change but RPM's will? besides running cooler...
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM

listen to this guy above!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
This appears to be on par with what another member was noticing with his PT4400 (13% IIRC). I've seen lower figures as well, but I've never had the opportunity to check mine. I'd see what it is once you add the gears, and if you're not satisfied, look into a different converter.

On a side note, I'd be interested to see what the efficiency is on other large converters for comparison sake.
Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Thats on par with mine 13%.It pulls really hard but one of its atributes is high amount of slippage.I dont think it will change much(percent ) with a gear change,i have 4.11 gears.You might try hooking up a switch so that you can lock up the verter in high gear,i never tried it(probably should have).

Is 13% acceptable???

Yank has threw out the number 5% to me more than once on the PT series.

Hawk I see you always talking good stuff on the Yank which is fine. And you have track numbers i see. Why is it that you've never done some figuring before?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
The PT works best with 3.73 or more.
you can not reach a high enought RPM at the finish line but you are in the torque mult. state (STR range) so you ET might not change but RPM will drop with more gear installed,
and the converter will run cooler with the extra gear
So I understand rpms will go up respectively with the gear change. And you are saying it will go down some b/c the converter now thinks the car is lighter with the gear change. Less slippage so rpms go down slightly (gear change aside). BUT that won't help ETs? Surely MPH will go up?

I'm going through the traps at 5750 rpm. Peak power is ~6700 rpm. Shift points are 6900. Rev limiter is 7200

Last edited by frito1; 03-08-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: bad proof reading on my part
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frito1
Is 13% acceptable???

Yank has threw out the number 5% to me more than once on the PT series.

Hawk I see you always talking good stuff on the Yank which is fine. And you have track numbers i see. Why is it that you've never done some figuring before?
I don't have ready access to tuning software, and to be honest I'd never thought about it before. Putting this in was a huge improvement over my last converter and I was very pleased with its performance. If I get the opportunity, I will calculate mine, but it will most likely be awhile. I'm not convinced at this point that the gains, if any, would justify the cost and hassle of doing a converter swap. I'm doing the research, but at this point I'll stick with what I've got.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

MPH will go a little!
But the difference of a few percent in third gear for about a second is really not very much in ET Loss or MPH gain
Of course every bit helps if you are looking for a ET drop or MPH gain just dont expect a lot.

To check the converter slip you must use second gear as it will reflect the true converter slip %
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I don't have ready access to tuning software, and to be honest I'd never thought about it before. Putting this in was a huge improvement over my last converter and I was very pleased with its performance. If I get the opportunity, I will calculate mine, but it will most likely be awhile. I'm not convinced at this point that the gains, if any, would justify the cost and hassle of doing a converter swap. I'm doing the research, but at this point I'll stick with what I've got.
I don't use tuning software to figure my converter slip going through the traps. I use my time slip for the mph, rpm right at the finish line (stock tach is questionable, that's where I use the tuning data log), tire height, rear gears, and trans ratio is 1.00 in 3rd gear.

Here's a dandy little calculator for figuring different stuff with. It's about the 5th one down....

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech...culators.asp#4

Originally Posted by Yank
MPH will go a little!
But the difference of a few percent in third gear for about a second is really not very much in ET Loss or MPH gain
Of course every bit helps if you are looking for a ET drop or MPH gain just dont expect a lot.

To check the converter slip you must use second gear as it will reflect the true converter slip %
So you are basing your 5% off 2nd gear? 2nd gear won't show as much slip b/c it's not putting near the stress on the converter at that point due to lower gearing (car feels lighter, less wind resistance, etc) than 3rd gear.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frito1
I don't use tuning software to figure my converter slip going through the traps. I use my time slip for the mph, rpm right at the finish line (stock tach is questionable, that's where I use the tuning data log), tire height, rear gears, and trans ratio is 1.00 in 3rd gear.

Here's a dandy little calculator for figuring different stuff with. It's about the 5th one down....

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech...culators.asp#4

Sweet, didn't know it was that easy. Everyone I have seen post about calculating slip always talked about data logs. I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 03-09-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you log you mph,tire height,engine rpm, rear gear ratio.My car the stock tach in high gear hangs around 5500 and never moves.(real pice of crap)Now on my auto tap logs it shifts from 2-3 at 6800 and drops to 6100 and climbs to 6700-6800 before crossing the finnish line.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Using that calculator, time slips and datalogs I calculated 11% slippage for my old PT4000 and 7% for my Circle D 5C. I see about the same difference when driving around town. Rear gears are 3.73.